Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rainbow Never Came
The Rainbow Never Came
Or, "Doug is very glad that this is a capella".
This song, by the very skilled (and now amicably disbanded) trio Artisan, dates from 1993 at the very most recent. Link to the album page, which has a link to an mp3 of the song.
Quote:Said the Man, I made God in my image,
And I made the world that you see.
Like the god that I am, I will do what I can,
I can do what I want when I please.
CHORUS:
And the rainbow never came
As the sun beat on the land;
And the dove flying high simply died in the sky,
When the Man who was God raised his hand.
Said the Man, I'm the wisest of creatures,
The ruler of all I survey.
I will twist, I will change, all my world rearrange;
In my Garden of Eden I'll play.
CHORUS
Said the Man, I give life and I take it;
I own the Earth and the Sea;
With a wave of my hand I can clear all this land
'Til the only one left will be be me.
CHORUS
Said the Man, I control every creature,
And their futures I hold in my hand;
I'm a god, I'm a King, I can do anything,
For no-one can stop what I've planned.
I need no idol to worship!
I worship the Progress I make!
When I tear down the Old, build Tomorrow in gold,
I will take, I will fake, I will break.
CHORUS
Cried the God, I made you in My image;
You harnessed the Earth I designed;
With the power you employed, all My work you destroyed;
I'll wipe you and your world from my mind.
CHORUS
What would this do if it wasn't a capella? I'm not sure, but someone once labeled a song "Do not open except in case of world-endage". This song would be "Do not open except to cause world-endage". Also, the phrase "Sodom and Gomorrah" comes to mind.
Perhaps, at the cost of his life, he can drive a planet's (or plane's) climate from Earthlike to Venusian (i.e. the most extreme possible end-state for runaway global warming).

The image I got from this is, at the end, it calls up a flood of Biblical proportions.

Also, to listen to this, I downloaded the mp3 and played it in iTunes. After the song finished, the one that started up was Art of the Dress. Mood Whiplash, ahoy!
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

This is how I get behind in this forum. When I read these messages at work, I can only say, "have to wait until I get home". And when I deliberately avoid reading the forum at work so as not to do that, I end up not reading them at all.

I'll have to listen to this at home, but the lyrics are very suggestive indeed. The thing is, with a typical AOE that's a sphere of 110' radius, Doug's not going to be ending any but the smallest worlds... so whatever this does, it's going to have to be very local.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Maybe it temporarily converts the system that Doug runs on from Gurps to Exalted, and temporarily turns him into a Solar Exalt? The song fits what the Solars in the First Age of that setting were like and were capable of perfectly, which is why the Sidereal Exalts (Heaven's fate-ninjas) killed them off.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Doug is a Villains & Vigilantes character, not GURPS. That aside, I think that level of self-hacking would be almost as beyond Doug's abilities as biblical-scale disasters are. Really, I think it just turns Doug into a giant "SMITE HERE" sign (more verbosely, "There is nothing in this world worth saving. Aim at me, and make it big."). Whether any sufficiently powerful god takes him up on it depends on them.

Ah, whoops. Memory failure then. Sorry. But, yeah, I can see that as a possible outcome of the song as well.
-----

The thing about gods is, once you attract their attention you never know what they'll do. If one of them decided to get a little enthusiastic about pressing the SMITE! button as a result, there's no reason to believe the effects would be bound by Doug's abilities at all, let alone staying with his normal AoE.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
This is the Way the World Ends
Artisan also has a cheerier treatment of the same subject: This is the Way the World Ends.
Quote:
Quote:CHORUS:
This is the way the world ends: not with a bang, but a bonfire!After tea, we'll murder a tree, then take a dip in a warmer sea;I'd like to live in a greenhouse, I know it could be fun!Oh, this is the way the world ends, basking in the sun!
This is the way the world ends: it all goes up in smoke!Smoking's bad for you health, you see; there's many a tree that will agree!You'll have to live in a greenhouse; I know it isn't fair,But this is the way the world ends; what a pity I won't be there!
CHORUSThis is the way the world ends: "Timber!" is the cry!I'll clear the land and swing the axe;I'll leave to you the inheritance tax!I wish you'd seen a forest, kicked autumn leaves in a wood,But this is the way the world ends; I did it for your own good!
CHORUSThis is the way the world ends: back to the sea we go!See the rosy glow as you dip your toe; (close your mouth by the overflow!)I wish the fish were swimming, not floating on their backs;But this is the way the world ends; take a break, settle back, and relax!
CHORUSThis is the way the world ends: in the ashes of a tree;Not with a bang, but a bonfire,To warm the Earth on a funeral pyre,And set the oceans free.
Yet another end of the world song
I saw this thread and another man destroys the world song came to mind 8th Day - Hazel O'Connor.  No idea if it would be a power song beyond the obvious dead planet scenario, but a weird interpretation (as in no one else would probably come up with it) would be some sort of future vision/time skip where you can see what happens if events are left unchange.  Something like We didn't start the fire for future events.

In the beginning was a worldMan said: Let there be more lightElectric scenes a maze of beamsNeon brights to light our boring nights
On the second day he said: Let's have a gasHydrogen and CO are of the pastLet's make some germs, we'll poison the wormsMan will never be surpassed
(Chorus)And he said: Behold what I have doneI've made a better world for everyoneNobody laughs, nobody criesWorld without end, forever and everAmen (amen), amen (amen), amen (amen)
On the third we get green and blue pill pieOn the fourth we send rockets to the skyOn the fifth metal beasts and submarinesOn the sixth man prepares his final dream:
In our image, let's make robots for our slavesImagine all the time that we can saveComputers, machines, the silicon dreamSeventh he retired from the scene
(Chorus)And he said: Behold what I have doneI've made a better world for everyoneNobody laughs, nobody criesWorld without end, forever and everAmen (amen), amen (amen), amen (amen)
On the eighth day machine just got upsetA problem man had not foreseen as yetNo time for flight, a blinding lightThen nothing but a void, forever night
He said: Behold what man has doneThere’s not a world for anyoneNobody laughs, nobody criesWorld’s at an end, everyone has diedForever amen (amen), amen (amen), amen (amen)and Lyrics: