Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disturbed - Sound of Silence
Disturbed - Sound of Silence
Doug's already got the original Simon & Garfunkle version in his arsenal (I'd swear it's been used on-camera too) but I'm wondering what'd happen if he got his hands on the cover:

(also just linking because HOLY SHIT this is amazing!)
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Two comments:
First, the passion in his singing is very impressive -- it raised the hairs on the back of my neck, and I mean that in a good way.

Second, it's incongruous that for a song so explicitly invoking the urban wasteland, this video shows a natural wilderness area.

I'm not, though, going to try to judge what, if anything, this version would produce differently from the original.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Is not that what a variant cover is supposed to do? Same words different Emphasis, means a different image projected in realities.

fairly sure this was asked and answered before, but darn if I can remember what Bob said about it.

Bob???
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I have this record. I bought it because I wondered how a three-sided record worked...... it was just two disks with only one printed side on one and not something cthuluesque. Ah well

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Second, it's incongruous that for a song so explicitly invoking the urban wasteland, this video shows a natural wilderness area.
Personally, I'm interpreting it as "this is so post apocalyptic that not even the BUILDINGS are left"
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Quote:Star Ranger4 wrote:
fairly sure this was asked and answered before, but darn if I can remember what Bob said about it.Bob???
My apologies for taking so long to even notice this thread.
If you're asking specifically about this song, I don't think I ever said anything about it.
If you mean covers in general, yes, it's been addressed.  Different artsts' versions provide different effects along the same theme.  The canonical example is also Simon and Garfunkel -- "Hazy Shade of Winter".  The Bangles' version gives him full ice powers; the original just lets him "dust" an area with a thin layer of snow and maybe a patch of ice or two.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.