Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Broadcasting Services "Go"
Public Broadcasting Services "Go"

Interesting little piece, I would imagine it would do one of several things.

My first thought was that it'd allow Doug to follow a checklist of arbitrary length and complete it when the song ends. Even if the checklist normally takes hours or days. It does not guarantee however that the checklist has everything marked as good/functional/ready to go, it only tells him what the checklist would normally tell him and take the actions necessary to run through the entire checklist.

Another option was that it'd allow Doug to run through the checklist for a space or aircraft and by magic force it to be ready for use as the song (and checklist) ends. For probably obvious reasons I would expect this to be rather expensive, and get even more so as the craft increases in size/capacity/etc.

A third option is that it's a Summon Lunar Lander or Summon Mission Control effect. Which is mostly useless, but still.

Oh, that's going right into my collection.

I honestly can't decide which of your suggested effects would be best, but there is a certain humor value in summoning a Lunar Lander -- which probably arrives form about 100 feet overhead...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Eh, that's what covers are for, right? So you don't have to pick?

How could anybody cover this, though? The lyrics are all samples.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

By not using samples, changing the music, using samples from a different Apollo mission, using samples from a universe where it was the Soviets who performed the moon landings, using samples from a recording of Mars landings?

Quote:The lyrics are all samples.
Oh, good point. I never really thought about sampling -- when I created Looney sampling was nowhere near as big a part of the music scene as it is today. It was something maybe a couple fringe acts did, so it never entered my mind when composing the rules for his power. I suppose the samples are sufficiently "sung" to count...

I hate to think what one of Pogo's compositions would do... if anything. The samples are used for their musical value alone, not for their meaning, resulting in... well, my wife hates Pogo's stuff because her mind keeps trying to make the "lyrics" make sense.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.