Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Into the Wild
Into the Wild
I'll just leave this here...

-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Not sure about the powers it would grant.

I mean, it has a strong theme of 'the world is amazing if not necessarily safe,' but that doesn't easily translate to a useful power.

Perhaps a utility effect that makes Doug a good explorer, or gives him information about his surroundings for (x) distance around on the presumption that he spend a while exploring?

Quote:Hazard wrote:
Not sure about the powers it would grant.

I mean, it has a strong theme of 'the world is amazing if not necessarily safe,' but that doesn't easily translate to a useful power.

Perhaps a utility effect that makes Doug a good explorer, or gives him information about his surroundings for (x) distance around on the presumption that he spend a while exploring?
Hmm.  Building from that, I think maybe a survivalism boost of some sort?  I can't see this song letting him bypass actually exploring.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I thought it would make a decent gate song, possibly to one of those apparently "pleasant bucolic pastoral" worlds that would bore Doug to tears until he found out what was really going on.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
I thought it would make a decent gate song, possibly to one of those apparently "pleasant bucolic pastoral" worlds that would bore Doug to tears until he found out what was really going on.
Just remember to check how brightly coloured the inhabitants are. It can be a vital data point.
Quote:seanan mcguire wrote:
After the My Little Ponies made their entrance by kicking the ass of THE DEVIL, they went on to fight against the evil witches who lived in the Mountain of Gloom. They, like many people, only saw the fact that the Ponies were pink, and never bothered to ask themselves how insanely badass something would have to be to have that little natural camouflage and yet still survive to procreate. My Little Ponies, like poison arrow tree frogs, are brightly colored for a reason, and that reason is to provide an immediate and easily visible warning of the fact that if you mess with them, they will FUCK YOUR SHIT UP.
Parts of this logic may apply to metahumans and other capes.
RE: Into the Wild
Lightbulb 
My thought: either a gate song to a heavily aviation-themed setting (Strike Witches or Fly Girls (more notes here), for a couple of examples), or a simulacrum (is that the right word when it's an inanimate object?) bush plane of Doug's choice of model, defaulting to the iconic Piper J-3 Cub. The plane persists past the end of the song if Doug is actively engaged in exploration.

Several parts of the chorus call aviation to my mind: "Into the wild" (blue yonder), "Into the vast" (skies), "Up and away". Also, the line "Firm blades and engines" instantly makes me think of propeller blades, not swords.

EDIT:
Alternatively, this song does nothing if Doug is in contact with "civilization", but stretches time like taffy as long as he and his companions are exploring the deep wilderness: no matter how much time they spend in the back woods, only the length of the song has passed to the rest of the world.