Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was doing some thinking...
I was doing some thinking...
...on the DW FAQ question about crossovers with other fanfics, and realized that the web of interconnections was growing kinda big. So I sat down with a pad of yellow legal paper and started diagramming things.
And I realized two things -- one, that folks here might get a kick out of it, and two, I certainly don't know everything that crosses over with everything else on the diagram that I came up with, so maybe people could suggest additional series to add.
I've gone through a couple versions in different media, but so far this is the simplest and the quickest to modify. So may I present to you a little thing that I'm tentatively calling "The Twisterverse":

(text version of earliest map deleted by Bob because Yuku so fouled it up that it was unuseable.)

Why "Twisterverse?" Mainly because the "center" of the diagram is Twister's "Twisted Path" and the various fics it inspired. I'm sure there are others; these are just the ones I know about.
Oh, and the key: Solid lines indicate direct links, and dotted lines are weak links -- ships that pass in the night (Wolf in Crisis), Known of through fanfiction (Bubblegum Avatar), or variant analogue world (IST/WW).

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Re: I was doing some thinking...
Damn you, Bob:
fnord.sandwich.net/images...-chart.jpg
ETA: Image updated 5 September with various & sundry new connections.
ETA2: dropped from inline to link because I'm sick & tired of the horizontal scroll.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Quote:
Damn you, Bob:
I'm sorry?
Very nice diagram, though. Beats my attempt at a GIF last night all to pieces.
ETA: Mm. I just remembered -- I made the Virtue server version of Looney Toons in-continuity with DW, so I need to add COH to the spokes radiating off it.

-- Bob
---------
This is, of course, all the daydream of a comatose autistic kid somewhere. Smile
--Sam
"Not so fast, naughtyspawn!"
I didn't know we were on television...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
On the "Zen/Dirty Pair" link you could put a link to Zen/Dirty Pair/Babylon 5/Revenge Wars crossover (his Sono-05.) Once you get to the Revenge Wars then the sky's the limit. ^_^
I'm not familiar with Sono-05 -- do you have a URL for it?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I didn't know we were on television...
If we are, I wish I could hear the soundtrack. It would make things easier.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Sono-05 -- do you have a URL for it?
Here's a link to all of Zen's Revenge Wars fics: pishoque.net/brian/archiv...evenge.htm
Re: Re: I was doing some thinking...
Given a lot of CoH characters, if you accept that you just might be dragging everything under the sun into the same universe...
(An especially headache-inducing proposition when you consider that I consider CoH canon for Alexis, and she's supposed to be part of a setting with wildly incompatible celestial mechanics than DW... Admittedly, I haven't actually *written down* any of that. '.';;; )
-Morgan.
"We put the 'violin' in 'violence'."
"There is no 'violin' in 'violence'."
"There is now."
Quote:
Here's a link to all of Zen's Revenge Wars fics
Thanks! (looks) Huh. Isn't "Won't Get Fooled Again" part of that continuity?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Given a lot of CoH characters, if you accept that you just might be dragging everything under the sun into the same universe...
Well, Paragon City is kind of a dimensional hub. No reason we can't have different multiverses intersecting there...

-- Bob
---------
You should probably include a line from OMB to God's Toy.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Quote:
Huh. Isn't "Won't Get Fooled Again" part of that continuity?
I've don't recall that one. The site is a recreation of Zen's and, from what I can see, the person doing it has everything I remember being there when I last looked at the original.
Mm. My bad -- I just went looking and discovered that it wasn't a Zen fic. Dunno how I conflated it with his stuff; it's actually by Sean Gaffney. Never mind that.

-- Bob
---------
Wow, Fnord... thanks for going through all the effort, not just for the first image but for the updates. That chart is just wow.
I think I need to say it again. Wow.

-- Bob
---------
I don't remember there being more than one other fanfic cross with Sailor Moon Expanded: Craig Beard's "Dark Chronicles." The Renegades visited plenty of other anime worlds, and there were "inspirations" for others present in the main timeline, but AFAIK the Legion and DC stuff was/will be it as far as other fanfic works went.
--Sam
"Well, let's go beat up that hedge then."
Quote:
Wow, Fnord... thanks for going through all the effort, not just for the first image but for the updates. That chart is just wow.
Enh, that chart's not so wow.
This chart, on the other hand, qualifies as wow. (Link because at 1280x1280, it is hueg like Xbox.)
Some notes on construction:
* 3600 hours in MS Paint!
* The OP called this metacontinuity the "Twisterverse" after Twisted Path. Juggling the connection boxes, I noticed that that's not really the case. The unifying hub for our little multiverse map isn't Twisted Path, but Legion's Quest. So call this the Legionverse if you will. Or be obstinate like me and don't call it anything.
* The hard link between Undocumented Features and BGC: The Iron Age is pure speculation on my part, based off a few choice comments in TIA #1. Whenever Mr. Director gets back to it, I may be proved right or proved a fool. You Heard It Here First.---
Mr. Fnord

Oh, even more cool. Yes, that is the wow.
And I agree. "Legionverse" describes it much better now.
But...
I was wrong about "Won't Get Fooled Again" being part of the Zen continuity -- unless I'm wrong about being wrong? No, let's not go there.
Mm. No apostrophe in "Its" in "Virtue is its own reward".
Why are the links to BGZ: Alternate "weak"?
We probably should add a key to the link coding.
And I have one more "weak" link for the Warriorsverse, but it won't be revealed until almost the final scene of DW5. It'd be kind of a spoiler -- of the impact of a scene, not of any plot element -- so I won't reveal it now. But you might want to leave room for it.
Sorry if I sound like I'm issuing orders -- I'm not, I'm spotting things I'd fix if I were any good at graphics. I'm very grateful for the time you put in on this, and I don't want you to think you're required to do any more. Thank you.
ETA: If we're going to get really picky, game-canon Warriors' World should probably sit on the line between DW and IST...
And a layout suggestion... push the Eyrieverse over to the lower right, and swing the Twisterverse over to where Eyrieverse is now, so that link between DW and BGAvatar doesn't have to cross LQ in the middle.
And I just noticed that the link between DW and Sailor Moon Expanded has been lost. In fact, DW was the only link to SME -- I don't think LQ links to it at all. Maybe put that above DW so you can restore that link without overlaps. You should probably also put a box for "Titanite's Bogus Journeys" or some such phrasing on that line, since the deal we made with the SME folks makes her appearance in DW10 explicitly one of her Bogosity explorations.
ETA2: Oh, I'm stupid. Of course Legion's Quest connects to SME -- as part of DW10. So it still needs its link. But that doesn't change my layout suggestion any.

-- Bob
---------
I'd recommend a Legend for link explanations.
Also, if you're going to go so far as to include TTP, wouldn't all my stuff break off into the 'Paradox-verse' or something?
For that matter, wouldn't you also have to include links to Shieldsman and Tenchi Muyo: The One?--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
You misspelled Bubblegum Zone. Although the idea of a "Bubblegun Crisis" has a certain appeal... it'd probably involve a time-trip to Chicago in the 1980s, and none of the characters would have to be redrawn. Smile
Did the Crys Saga ever cross over with anything here? I tend to think of Chris Schumacher as one of the Unholy Trinity of Cosmic SIs, along with Legion and Twister...
Also (and I know this is nitpicking but I can't stop myself), the main Dark Chronicles story takes place, very specifically, outside the SME multiversal structure. The crossover characters were Rikerized copies from the collapsing DC m'verse, transported outside their own metareality in a freak accident. (Whether or not any of these others take place within the infinite realities of our multiverse is up to their respective authors, I can't think of any technical reasons why not.)
...But damn, that's some nice cosmocartography! Smile
--Sam
"I am Twisted Schumacher, most powerful member of the Legion of Super Otaku!" (John Biles, Lemonade Punch if I recall correctly.)
Nag, nag, nag...
Quote:
Why are the links to BGZ: Alternate "weak"?
For the same reason the links between OMB and TtP are weak; BGZ:A is an alternate version of the story continued in the main streams of TP and BGZ.
Anyway,
the megachart is updated. Mostly shuffling around the groups per suggestions. I also added an indirect link from LQ to things man was not meant to known, based off independent research.
Suggestions for next targets? In theory, with Ed's habit of popping up in odd places kibitzing on other people's fanfic projects, it might be possible to add another dozen or so multiverses onto this map...---
Mr. Fnord

Re: Nag, nag, nag...
"Bob's Being Coy"?
Okay, okay.
"Dance of Shiva".
There, satisfied?

-- Bob
---------
you could 'zoom out' a bit and add Wizard of Oz, The Lensmen, Lazarus Long Universe to tie into Number of The Beast on the 'published fiction' side of the chart.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I have a few ways to improve the clarity of the big chart (fnord.sandwich.net/images...art-2.jpg) the next time you update.
1.) The Eyrieverse section:
Switch the positions of the entries for the BGC: The Iron Age and Strret Fighter:WL (Should Strret be Street?) so that the lines don't cross.
2). The Twisterverse section:
Move the red line from the Legion's Quest entry so that it leads straight down. Flip the relative positions of the Twistervers entries both horizontally and vertically.
......................................................III
.......................Bubblegum Avatar.......III
................................II....................III
....BGC: Next Gen--Three Knights..........III
................................II....................III
......................Bubblegum Zone--Twisted Path
................................II............/.........II
.........................BGZ Alternate......Wolf in Crisis
Sorry about the periods, but it wouldn't align otherwise.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV