Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are they or aren't they?
Are they or aren't they?
As I recently finished the Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki OAV series (and GXP) this question has been bugging me and I figure I'd get other peoples opinions.
Given their TM Cannon depictions (power and personality), is it at all possible to consider the Chousin as avatars of the Three?
(I have an Idea for a Stagger based around the answer to this and I want to know if it's viable.)
(P.S. Chapter 3's in pre-read! Wahoo!)
Re: Are they or aren't they?
There are certainly correspondences that Chris exploited for one of his alternate-canon side stories:
Sasami -- Belldandy
Washuu -- Skuld
Tokimi -- Urd (mainly by virtue of being the only pairing left)
However, that side-story would directly contradict some of the material in DW5, unless both members of each pair are expressions of the same metagod. (This does have precedent, in Christian myth, after all...)
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
...wait.
If Tenchi's three are a different part of The Three from AMG's...
And Chris knows both sets...
...meaning he's -not- Tenchi...
...then that'd mean that he's {SPOILER DELETED}.
O.O

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Admitedly I've read Chris' fic and, while a fun read, my feeling that they aren't the Three. Mainly because my take on the relative powers puts the Chousin a little above the Three.
Not much, but when comparing entities of this level...
Also, while the comparisons between the Chousin and the Three (usually exemplified by our favourate Norns) are fairly easy, the Chousin's personalities seem far more...how can I put this? General? Broard?
Yes the Norns (for example) are not as...um...flat?..in their emotional responses as fannon seems to paint them, but they do seem to stick to mostly their basic personality AFAICT.
The Chousin seem to have a broarder personality structure (for example Washu, who does the Mad Scientist with child like wonder, caring Mother, and dead serious Elder, along with a couple of Seductress routines, and a fair amount of devious manipulation), and are willing to change how they approach beings and situations far more. Again, my opinion only and AFAICT.
In Turn the Page, things are decidedly goofy - Washu/Tsunami/Tokimi are the *mothers* of the original incarnations of the Norns, so let's not talk about that - besides, Paradox has an active Persona in that universe, so that excludes any other character from one of my fics too. Big Grin

Now, looking at the pure Tenchi OAV?
Paradox is *not* an analogue to Tenchi. As for the Three/Norns correspondence, I'd say no, simply because I don't think they're deities, just ridiculously powerful beings.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Where do you draw the line between ludicrus power and being a deity?
Tsunami is genrealy considered a deity by the Juraians and so is Tokimi by her own followers.
I would not dispute that claim unless said godess disputes it, I like being on the safe side where overwhelming power is concerned. Wink
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Taking into acount their goals, and their described actions so far, I at least could see them as a weird trinity subset of the Big Guy Upstairs.
(Obviously I'm too tired to think straight at this point if that makes sense to me.)
As a popular author once noted... "something so advanced is effectively indistinguisable from it""I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Why am I getting the urge to say 'Paradox == Ryo-Ohki' here? ;-)
Out of curiousity, I'm wondering how many around here have read Diane Duane's 'The Wounded Sky' around here, particularly the concept of 'DeSitter Space'.
Some weird thoughts related to that...
1) Universes are *bubbles* in DeSitter space--the reason scientists can't manage to make a GUT and keep getting flummoxed by things like FTL and magic is because they're approaching the whole thing bass-ackwards..a universe isn't defined by what's there, it's defined by what's *missing* from that bubble...
2) Imagine if you will, a 'leak' in such a bubble--that is formed/filtered in just the right way so that what 'leaks' in from DeSitter space appears to be a 'normal' being..who is still connected to that superspace, and as a result some things we 4-dimensional beings take for granted are more of a matter of choice/will.
3) Bob's commented in the the current crossover that the OMG goddesses are like 'fingerpuppets' of their overselves...for a bit of a mind-blower, consider the possibility that those 'overselves' are *themselves* such finger-puppets, limited to a particular subset of universes, with their own 'overselves' directly connected to DeSitter space that they may or may not know about...
It's turtles all the way down, Vulpis.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979