Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of doing a DW fanfic...
Re: Blue Skies, Blue Water (take 2)
remember, at this point in time, that what we consider a "Marching Band Uniform" is considered "Battlefield Equipment" in the era Nadia takes place in...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: Re: Blue Skies, Blue Water (take 2)
Peg and I have gotten through all of disk 6 (episode 24) of Nadia now, and finally parts of Rob's fic samples are falling into place for me. I am, however, of the opinion that at about this point in the story Nadia badly needs to be slapped, several times. Sadly, I don't think Doug could bring himself to do it.
Rob, I have to get around to sending you an email; watching the series has given me a few ideas I want to throw your way.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Quote:
Peg and I have gotten through all of disk 6 (episode 24) of Nadia now, and finally parts of Rob's fic samples are falling into place for me. I am, however, of the opinion that at about this point in the story Nadia badly needs to be slapped, several times. Sadly, I don't think Doug could bring himself to do it.
*Nods*
Yup. I want to like the girl. I really do. And there are times when she justifies it to me. But the middle part of the show is NOT one of them.
Take this for what it's worth - The character designer for the Nadia and for Evangelion stated that Shinji was a male version of Nadia...
-Logan
-----------------
"Because Science DEMANDS it!!"
-----------------
Hm. Maybe Doug and Nadia could get into a face-to-face self-righteousness battle.

-- Bob
---------
Somebody's been looking at my notes... The self-righteousness battle will take place reasonably early in the story, sometime when Doug and Nadia are practicing acrobatics while Jean and Marie are off gathering food. I haven't written any of this scene yet, mainly because I haven't decided whether it'll start off from Doug's or Nadia's point of view.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I really do have to email you shortly. I've started writing up dialogue snippets I want to share with you, particularly in the wake of Nadia's ep 25 "science is all lies" bozo-rant.

-- Bob
---------
Oh, and I'm trying to figure out exactly how Doug is going to react to King-The-Worshipper-Of-Graven-Idols...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I've started writing up dialogue snippets I want to share with you, particularly in the wake of Nadia's ep 25 "science is all lies" bozo-rant.
I'd love to see what you've written! (Oh, yes - I'm having trouble with one of my e-mail addresses again. I believe you have my "don't share with anyone else" address; it's stable.)
Quote:
Oh, and I'm trying to figure out exactly how Doug is going to react to King-The-Worshipper-Of-Graven-Idols...
I was actually considering skipping the whole coast-of-Africa detour, actually. They aren't going to be as likely to crash-land, seeing how there's an anti-grav unit with literally divine reliability (hey, Skuld rebuilt it, right?) available to them. As to whether Doug would let them pull that A-G unit from the bike, though...
One more thing - has Doug ever seen "Get Smart"? (It's just for colour text and a silly quote...)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
I'd love to see what you've written! (Oh, yes - I'm having trouble with one of my e-mail addresses again. I believe you have my "don't share with anyone else" address; it's stable.)
I meant to send it off last night, but I got caught up in a marathon fic-read. Tonight, hopefully. I think I have your address in my book, but you might want to just send me a token email to make sure I have it anyway.
Quote:
seeing how there's an anti-grav unit with literally divine reliability (hey, Skuld rebuilt it, right?)
Well, partially. And don't about half her toys go "boom" in grand Li Kohran style?
Quote:
One more thing - has Doug ever seen "Get Smart"? (It's just for colour text and a silly quote...)
But of course. Mel Brooks certainly exists in Warriors World. You should see the TV series he did in the middle 1980s about a misfit superteam...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I think I have your address in my book, but you might want to just send me a token email to make sure I have it anyway.
Done.
Quote:
(me) seeing how there's an anti-grav unit with literally divine reliability (hey, Skuld rebuilt it, right?) (/me)
Well, partially. And don't about half her toys go "boom" in grand Li Kohran style?
Only the ones with self-destruct devices... which is about half, yes.
Quote:
Mel Brooks certainly exists in Warriors World. You should see the TV series he did in the middle 1980s about a misfit superteam...
Oh, good. And I just thought of a second reference Doug could make to "Get Smart":
I was cornered - there was nowhere left to go. All I could do now was trust in my defensive field...
"Open fire!" All half-dozen troopers emptied their submachine guns.
Surprisingly, I wasn't dead. I looked behind me and saw a classic cartoon effect - a line of bullet holes in the wall, tracing my exact outline. I smiled as I held up my hand, my thumb and forefinger a half-inch apart.
"Missed me by that much."

(Now as to whether I'll actually use that... Hmmmmm...)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

I just mailed off the dialogue fragments. Have fun!
Quote:
"Missed me by that much."
Of course, he'd follow that up by a screaming attack of some sort, to take advantage of the complete dicombobulation the gunmen no doubt are suffering at that moment.
An alternative to the ring of bulletholes is something else that Bugs did -- which is to build up a perfect silhouette of bullets right in front of him, then peek out from behind it before it collapses to the ground...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I just mailed off the dialogue fragments. Have fun!
I got two e-mails - thanks!
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

You two are absolutly EVIL, EVIL men.
I shall now sucumb to O2 debt laughing over those two images
"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
I got two e-mails - thanks!
You're welcome. I hope something in there sparks for you.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
You two are absolutly EVIL, EVIL men.
If only we had used our writing skills for good, instead of evil...
(Well, of course I'm going to continue with the "Get Smart" references as long as I can...)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
I hope something in there sparks for you.
Oh, definitely...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, yes - the "Get Smart" reference that I'm definitely going to use.
Slight spoiler for late-series: the new Nautilus has an "Orpheus furnace", which is described as being more powerful than a particle-annihilation engine. What could be more powerful that a matter-antimatter drive? Well...

"I have some advanced engineering knowledge, Captain. How can I help?"
Nemo thought for a moment. "Normally, I wouldn't trust someone I just met with something this dangerous, but we have no choice. Go with the chief engineer to the main engine room, and follow his orders."
I tried making small talk with the engineer on our way to the engine room, but he wasn't the talkative sort. His only words during the walk were at the end, when he said "here we are".
I let him open the door, then followed him in, only to stop dead in my tracks when I saw what was in the middle of the room. "That's the ship's main engine, the Orpheus furnace."
""

Mind you, there's another possibility what it could be, which is hinted at by a revelation in episode 39 (but classically-educated readers may have already figured it out from the name)...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Rob... Peg and I just got through, oh, ep 28 or thereabouts last night.
Doug is going to get very tired of Ayerton very fast. Ayerton's face may well make frequent, speedy contact with a bulkhead or treetrunk as a result...
Oh, and Peggy believes that Grandis may well fixate on Doug... "Poor Doug!" she says. I can think of stronger language, personally...

-- Bob
---------
Ah, Seorita Grandis. Sort of a combination of Asuka Langley Sohryu, Kodachi Kuno, and Team Rocket's Jessie.
Her style isn't as readily appealing as Nadia and the other female cast members, but I think the artists were trying to do a credible aristocratic western appearance with her.
BTW, to do the "" hold Alt and type 0241on the numeric keypad if you use a Windows system...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
but I think the artists were trying to do a credible aristocratic western appearance with her.
Certainly more credible than Ayerton's...
And actually, I'm of the opinion that Grandis isn't really all that bad a person. She's just in need of a little therapy. Unfortunately, Freud's still a bit aways from inventing what she needs... and Doug ain't gonna try it.
Or maybe he will. I have no idea what Rob's going to do on that front.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
And actually, I'm of the opinion that Grandis isn't really all that bad a person. She's just in need of a little therapy. Unfortunately, Freud's still a bit aways from inventing what she needs... and Doug ain't gonna try it.
Or maybe he will. I have no idea what Rob's going to do on that front.
No, Rob likes senorita Grandis just the way she is...
Although I do like the idea of her fixating on Doug. And I can see Doug accidentally encouraging her, too; writing on the fly...

"Tell me, senor Sangnoir, what is it like to have the power of a demigod?"
"What?"
"You can wave your hand and change the world around you. If that isn't godlike power, I don't know what is."
"Oh, that. I thought you meant ... never mind. It's easier to let you experience the sensation firsthand than it is to try to explain it, senorita." I picked up on my helmet and turned it on. "System, play song 'I'm So Hot For Her'."

... and that would be enough to have Grandis fall for Doug like a ton of bricks. Hmmmmm... yes, I'll almost definitely put something like that into the story.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
Doug is going to get very tired of Ayerton very fast. Ayerton's face may well make frequent, speedy contact with a bulkhead or treetrunk as a result...
Ah, yes - I was wondering how I'd get Doug and Sanson to like each other, and this will work just fine.
Seriously, I don't think that anyone likes Ayerton, excepting Jean and Marie. (And those two like everybody, except for the Neo-Atlanteans.) You mentioned that you'd made it to episode 28 - in the next four episodes, he gets even worse, IMHO. He does have a short redeeming scene near the end of the series, but it isn't enough to make up for his earlier behaviour.
Ayerton will definitely be the story's comic-relief / punching-bag; Doug's going to have to remind himself and Sanson more than once that Ayerton's just a crunchy.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
""
Mind you, there's another possibility what it could be, which is hinted at by a revelation in episode 39 (but classically-educated readers may have already figured it out from the name)...
Having just watched to the end last night with Peggy, I will have to say, yeah. Doug's going to know the Blue Water ain't just a shiny rock the first time he looks at it with magesight, isn't he? There's "glow" and then there's "blinding blaze". But your speculation on the engine may be wrong, as the engines kept going even after the Blue Waters deactivated...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Ah, yes - I was wondering how I'd get Doug and Sanson to like each other, and this will work just fine.
That, and Doug yelling "yee-haaaaa!" when they really get rolling.
Quote:
You mentioned that you'd made it to episode 28 - in the next four episodes, he gets even worse, IMHO. He does have a short redeeming scene near the end of the series, but it isn't enough to make up for his earlier behaviour.
Yes, we saw that all last night. The only characters that I, personally, disliked more was Gonzales and his bimbos -- and boy do I have a couple or three ideas about what to do about them. And I really, really want to know what it was about that can of food that was so special... they certainly left that thread hanging.
Quote:
Ayerton will definitely be the story's comic-relief / punching-bag;
"You're a count? Count this!" "Two! Ah-ha-ha-ha!" (Lather, rinse, repeat)
Quote:
Doug's going to have to remind himself and Sanson more than once that Ayerton's just a crunchy.
Yeah. Sadly.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Doug's going to know the Blue Water ain't just a shiny rock the first time he looks at it with magesight, isn't he? There's "glow" and then there's "blinding blaze".
Which is why I'm putting off that scene for as long as I can.
(Although it's probably going to be after they leave Red Noah and Nadia's gotten all angsty again. She'll make that speech about how she can become a god or a devil with the Blue Water, Doug'll overhear her, and take a look. Depending on how Doug's feeling about Nadia at the time, he may mention how he's killed a god in the past...)
Quote:
But your speculation on the engine may be wrong, as the engines kept going even after the Blue Waters deactivated...
There is that...
Quote:
The only characters that I, personally, disliked more was Gonzales and his bimbos -- and boy do I have a couple or three ideas about what to do about them.
As I mentioned earlier, I was considering skipping the whole coast-of-Africa bit... but if you've got some ideas, I may change my mind.
Quote:
And I really, really want to know what it was about that can of food that was so special... they certainly left that thread hanging.
I got the impression that it wasn't the can of food itself that was important, but the fact that it was a gift from a friendly-yet-more-powerful neighbour. ("Oh,no! We lost their present to us! What if they take offence?")
Quote:
"You're a count? Count this!" "Two! Ah-ha-ha-ha!" (Lather, rinse, repeat)
That is so going into the 'fic...
"Three! Ah-ha-ha-ha!"
"Doug."
"What is it, Hanson? Can't you see that I'm busy?"
"Well, ... you're making it hard to keep the Grattan stable."
"Oh. Sorry."
- Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk