Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 10 and Dimensional Assimilation
Step 10 and Dimensional Assimilation
Regarding Step 10 (the Legion's Quest/SME/Zeiram cross), the SME metaverse has fairly solidly established the concept of dimensional assimilation - someone who crosses dimensions will (eventually) find his/her personality shifting to match one of the local residents in order to 'fit in' a little better. Examples from the Ranma 'verse they visited had Titanite becoming Akane, Calcite becoming Mousse, and Margrave becoming Shampoo. When they visited City Hunter's 'verse, Calcite started to become like Ryo Saeba. From what I've read in Legion's Quest and the DW Steps already written, this phenomenon does not occur. Is this something you have planned for? I throw this out now so you have tons of time to resolve the issue before you actually start writing the step (even if the solution is just to ignore it).
Re: Step 10 and Dimensional Assimilation
Legion carries his own reality with him wherever he goes. It's one of his main powers. He is the god of his own tiny little plane.
Looney's improbability field would protect him from SME's dimensional assimilation problem. Looney also lives inside his own personal reality.
The SME assimilaiton effect looks at Looney and Legion.
Looney and Legion's personal realities thumb their noses at the effect and say, "No, no, no. You can't change them. They don't exist in your reality. See?"
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Ok, that works for me! Just wanted to see if the issue had ever been considered. Smile
SME dimensional assimilation
Pyrite (and Mercury?) eventually found a way around that problem as I recall. But it's been a long time since I last read the stories.
Looney rejects your own reality, and substitutes his own.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
*snarf*
LOL!!!
Oh man, I gotta track down a copy of Quotable Mythbusters. Just for the paraphrase capabilty alone.
--Rod.H (wants a big boom!)
Re: *snarf*
Ask and ye shall receive.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
These explanations are sufficient for the task. We were just going to ignore it, ourselves. After all, Titanite was coming to us, not the other way around.

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
Quote:
Legion carries his own reality with him wherever he goes.
Interesting.
Based on some freeform RP stuff I was involved in once, I've been trying to work out a set of reasonably consistent rules for travel between realities. (At least, travelling using the sort of means my characters did.)
One of the major rules is that *everyone* carries their own reality with them, whether they travel under their own power or via magic or machine. Mostly I was looking at it in terms of rules on things that may or may not work in a different world, like some of the stuff in the p&p rpg Torg. Even in a world where magic doesn't work, a dimension traveller can still use theirs... but they may not be able to affect anything outside their own cellular boundary.
(A couple of my characters, based on certain things said about them, would probably suffer something similar to having every cell in their body become cancerous instantaneously if their internal magic ever *was* supressed, so this rule is important to them...)
Anyway, I guess the idea that being in a different world would affect someone like that seems pretty strange to me.
-Morgan.
"Mikuru-chan molested me!"
-Haruhi, The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya
---(Not really)
(raises hand) As the resident SME-reality guru, this one's mine... and ShinDangaioh is pretty much right, as far as that goes. The assimilation thing only applies to universes in the SME-local cluster; metaversal laws vary from region to region, and though it's tough to get from one cluster to another, it's not impossible.
--Sam
"All out of roofs, eh?"