Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has everyone seen....
Has everyone seen....
A mutant in the marvelverse with powers VERY similar to doug? Codenamed DJ, he was on one of the junior x-men squads, apparently de-powered during the house of M crossover, and then died in the school bombing... but still!
Here's some info
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_%28comics%29
uncannyxmen.net/db/articl...229&page=7
(scroll down)
Thoughts?
Re: Has everyone seen....
Close but not exactly the same. Still, an intriguing take on the idea...
When were these books published? Certainly long after I came up with Doug, but was it after I started releasing DW?

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
As far as I know they started early last year-ish time
Interesing. For DJ, it's based more on the feel or tone of the piece rather than the lyrical content. It gives him a wider array of pieces to choose from than Doug, but probably creates a smaller spectrum of effects.
Cool. Thanks for sharing the links!*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Very cool, wonder if this is a nod at Bob in some way or happy coincedence? Tongue _______________________________
"We few, we happy few. We band of buggered"
It's a really good question. On the one hand, given my name's virtual congruence to that of someone actually in the comics industry, it's very likely that a Google search could have sent someone at Marvel to my site or writings, which then could have gotten their creative juices going. On the other hand, sooner or later someone would come up with the same idea independently, simply by virtue of the Law of Big Numbers. There's no way to know, because just out of fear of liability and lawsuits and whatnot the writer may well deny ever knowing about my stuff.
I'd like to think it's a tip of the hat to me, but without evidence that would just be wishful thinking.
And before I forget, am I the only one who half-expected DJ's last name to be "Croft"?

-- Bob
---------
Thats just our love of EPU speaking Bob. Tongue"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Hmm, I think Bob's charecter is cooler in that he gets powers from individual songs rather then genres of music like this guy, and of course the complications that arise with Doug's power also makes it cooler, but I find myself wishing that they didn't kill this DJ guy off, or you know, actually showed him using his power even once, simply so we could see something similar to doug's powers in comic form. I think everyone here would love to see a battle sequence or something using song powers, if only to compare with how we imagine them in our heads.
1st panel = an army of vampire flying towards Doug from a ways away
2nd panel = shillohette of Doug, standing relaxed in full uniform
3rd panel = close up of the lower half of his face, smilling indulgently. Speech "Looks like it's time for me to dance..."
4th panel = Doug shifted into a fighting stance, the vampires getting ever closer. Speech "system, Here Comes the sun...PLAY!"
5th panel = the shillouette of Doug begining to glow, his helmet speakers opening
6th panel = the vampires reacting
7th panel = Doug's glowing face, the grin now out manic levels. speech, "YOINKS, AND AWAY!"
8th panel = Full page baddas spread of Doug leaping into the air, a beam of light shooting fom his face and dusting several of the vampires at once, as the song lyrics drift across the page

MMmm. We can dream.... ah well.
Quote:
And before I forget, am I the only one who half-expected DJ's last name to be "Croft"?

that would be a heckuva double tip of the hat to two great authors XD
still DJ and crew has taken up a lot of space in all of us if we first think of Mr. Croft first instead of Disc Jockey :O
You know, the more I think about this, the more I realize that DJ would be the only way a big comic company could possibly implement a character like Doug, because he'd be a logistical, legal and continuity nightmare otherwise... which makes me think that yeah, somewhere in Marvel is someone who has at least heard of Doug.
And given that I know one pro artist who's familiar with the Warriors and has worked for Marvel (and specifically on mutant titles) -- Vince Russell -- the more I think it's possible that there was a conversation at one point along the lines of "I know of this interesting character..." "Yeah, maybe we could use something like that..."

-- Bob
---------