Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Walk Itinerary
Updated Walk Itinerary
Okay, in response to another thread elsewhere, I finally sat down and worked out all the official Steps in the full Walk, as I currently see it. With luck, I should be able to finish this before I die of extreme old age, but no promises, okay?

The Drunkard's Walk of Douglas Sangnoir:Start point: Warriors' World (homeworld). Low ambient mana. Departs via enemy action.First step: Working Title: "A Horse Ain't A Horse, Of Course, Of Course" Velgarth, home of the Heralds of Valdemar. Average mana, node system. Learns how to tap nodes, and how *not* to. Trades unarmed combat training to Alberich for armed combat, particularly quarterstaff. Gate Song: "Point of Know Return" by Kansas.Second step: Title: "Robot's Rules of Order" Bubblegum Crisis. Outrageously high mana, node system. Builds motorcycle. Gate Song: "The Way" by FastballThird step: Working Title: "Sana-chan no Omocha". Kodomo no Omocha. Average ambient mana.Fourth step: Working Title: "Pests and Hanoi-ances" Buckaroo Banzai, post-"8th Dimension". Acquires sword. Average mana, node system.Fifth step: Title: "Another Divine Mess You've Gotten Me Into" "Oh! My Brother!" -- Chris Angel's OMG insert (with "In Nomine" elements). High mana, node system (Tether variant). Gate Song: ??? (Not a plot point)Sixth step: Working Title: "Angel Baby" Neon Genesis Evangelion Average ambient mana. Gate Song: ???Seventh step: Title: ??? Revolutionary Girl Utena Strong mana, leylines only Gate Song: ??? Eighth step: Title: "Harry Potter and the Man from OtherEarth" Harry Potter Average ambient mana Gate Song: ??? Ninth step: Title: ??? The Borribles Average ambient mana Gate Song: ??? Unnumbered step that occurs somewhere between five and ten: Title: ??? Sailor Moon Strong ambient mana Gate Song: ??? Tenth step: Title: "Walking Into The Storm" Iria, w/Legion and Titanite. Mana uncertain at this point. Learns that he isn't the only wanderer, that he *will* get home.Eleventh step: Title: ??? Sister PrincessTwelfth step: Title: "Nine Flowers And A Weed" Sakura TaisenThirteenth step: Title: ??? Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Average ambient mana. Season Five -- Glory. Co-written with Helen. ...Last step: Home again, home again, jiggity-jig.Followed byBig Grinrunkard's Vacation stories"Girls, Girls, Girls" storiesDead BangParalleled byBig Grinrunkard's Stagger, including "Slayers" and "Nadia" stories.Available but unassigned settings (in descending order of quantity of existing written material):FireflyMan of la ManchaCharmedNoirShadowrunRocky Horror Picture ShowAmelia Peabody EmersonAddams FamilyBabylon 5Rune Soldier LouieLove HinaNuku-NukuRead or Die

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
hmmm
I don't think I've ever heard of "The Borribles", what's it about?
A Babylon 5 step could be interesting, I suspect Doug and Garibaldi would get along quite well (as Michael is a practical joker and a fellow fan of Bugs and Co.).
Quote:
The back-cover blurb on the copy I read described them as "feral, street-smart Peter Pans," and that about sums them up. Peter Pan with a switchblade knife on the streets of London (or any big city, really; there're Borribles everywhere). The police, at least in London, have a branch specifically dedicated to catching Borribles and clipping their pointed ears, which turns them (back?) into normal adolescent boys and girls. But their chief enemies are oversized rat-like creatures called Rumbles, who talk with an Elmer Fudd sort of lisp: "I am a Wumble, fwom Wumbledom, you howwible little stweet Awabs."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: Updated Walk Itinerary
Quote:
Available but unassigned settings
Babylon 5
Or, for utter silliness, use what you've written in a "Star Wrek: In The Pirkinnig" Step.
Quote:
Rune Soldier Louie
"Rune Soldier Doug"? Actually, I could see Doug and Merrill getting along famously, while Doug and Louie might get along about as well as Doug and Ayerton... I'm not sure how Doug would react to the others.
Quote:
Followed by:
Dead Bang
Knowing the person who's writing this, and when he started, I now feel not-as-bad about how long I'm taking on BSBW...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: hmmm
Quote:
DHBirr has described it rather tersely, but is essentially right. It's a trilogy of books written in the 1970s and early 1980s by Michael de Larrabeiti, and I can't recommend them highly enough:
The Borribles
The Borribles Go For Broke
The Borribles Across The Dark Metropolis

Some informative links:
This is one of the best sites about the series on the Web. Warning -- many of the links on its links page are dead. (But I'll include Wayback Machine links a few of them below.)
The official site for the books.
Another extensive page.
Quote:
But their chief enemies are oversized rat-like creatures called Rumbles, who talk with an Elmer Fudd sort of lisp: "I am a Wumble, fwom Wumbledom, you howwible little stweet Awabs."
They are, in fact (as I have discovered), vicious nasty parodies of a set beloved British children's characters called "The Wombles". Here is a Wayback Machine link to a page explaining the satire/parody.
And if you're interested in buying copies, here are some Amazon.uk links to omnibus editions. I bought one from Amazon.uk a couple years ago and had a hell of a time rereading. Again, highly recommended.
First Link
Second Link.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Or, for utter silliness, use what you've written in a "Star Wrek: In The Pirkinnig" Step.
Gah.
Quote:
"Rune Soldier Doug"?
No.
"Rune Soldier Looney".
Of course.
Quote:
I'm not sure how Doug would react to the others.
A brief quote: "Bitch, bitch, bitch," I declared, watching the women. "Hey, that's not fair," Louie muttered. "They're not complaining about anything right now." I raised an eyebrow. "Who said anything about complaints? I'm just cataloguing what I see." Three feminine growls drifted across the campsite.While Doug might get along with Merrill, he decides early on that they ride Louie far too hard, and for no good reason.
But just to be fair, then there's: "Sorry, Louie. I'm with the girls on this one. That was just fucking stupid." I paused for an infinitesimal moment. "Not that I wouldn't have done exactly the same thing if it were me in that situation, mind you. But it's still fucking stupid."

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Eleventh step:
Title: ???
Sister Princess
Maybe: "Brother Loon, Sister Princess" ?
Just as an aside, if this follows the TV anime, Doug should find a bit unsettling that the "bad guy" is a bishonen named Akio who is trying to seduce the hero into a life after his own image (and I'm not using the word "seduce" inappropiately).
Nothing to do with the above, but this reminded me of a very nasty filk/movie-fusion bunny I once had called "Twelve Little Sisters"...
NN
Quote:
"Rune Soldier Looney".
Of course.
D'oh!
Quote:
"Sorry, Louie. I'm with the girls on this one. That was just fucking stupid." I paused for an infinitesimal moment. "Not that I wouldn't have done exactly the same thing if it were me in that situation, mind you. But it's still fucking stupid."
LOL! (I must remember to steal, er, use that line for one of my game sessions...)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
Maybe: "Brother Loon, Sister Princess" ?
Hmmm. Maybe. I'll stash that in the file as a possible. Thanks!
Quote:
Just as an aside, if this follows the TV anime, Doug should find a bit unsettling that the "bad guy" is a bishonen named Akio who is trying to seduce the hero into a life after his own image (and I'm not using the word "seduce" inappropiately).
If Doug's presence in the world goes that far; I'm not sure if he'll ever meet Akio, although Doug will certainly be working against him, albeit mostly unknowingly. This one isn't really plotted; it's in the intinerary because I have a use for Rin-Rin elsewhere, and because (like Kodocha) it would be a good counterpoint to the more violent Steps.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
LOL! (I must remember to steal, er, use that line for one of my game sessions...)
By all means feel free!

-- Bob
---------
Concerning the possibility of an Amelia Peabody Emerson story (I believe, Bob, you once said you wanted to do that as a "Drunkard's Vacation" tale, so Maggie would be along), I have a small request. One of Amelia's habits that really gets on my nerves is announcing her assessment of the situation, generally correct at least in outline, with ringing words to the effect that, "There can be no other explanation!"
I would love to see a story in which she says that, and someone (it'd probably come better from Maggie than from Doug, just because Amelia will respect another woman's opinion more than she would almost any man's) promptly comes up with another explanation which fits all the known facts. This person can add that he or she actually considers Amelia's hypothesis to be right, but couldn't leave unchallenged the assertion of no other possibilities.
If I had the patience and determination, I'd write an SI in which my character did exactly that. I did dream up a few scenes for a story involving such an incident, but never wrote them down and no longer expect to. I'm settling for the next best thing: proposing it as a minor plot point for your story.
-----
That's such a good idea I'm going to stash it in the Amelia file right now.

-- Bob
---------
Amelia Peabody Emerson... Why does that seem so familiar? Would anyone care to enlighten a poor soul?*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Quote:
Amelia Peabody Emerson... Why does that seem so familiar? Would anyone care to enlighten a poor soul?
A series of mystery novels, written by Elizabeth Peters. They're set -- mostly -- in Egypt during the last decades of the 19th Century and first decades of the 20th (I believe the latest is in 1923), and revolve largely if not solely around Egyptology. Amelia is highly intelligent but also highly opinionated; one excellently written situation involved her having to confront her own prejudice against Egyptians -- prejudice of which she'd believed herself completely free.
There's a great deal of humor in the stories, quite a bit of it at the expense of her selective memory if her ideas turn out badly. On one page, she proudly recounts nagging her husband into a certain course of action; two or three pages later, when it goes wrong, she writes that if he'd listened to her he'd never have taken that course. She also has an Egyptian friend who complains humorously about all the murder victims she discovers. "Every year, another body."
Amelia is an admirable character in many ways, but she can be very irritating. In addition to her dogmatic certainty of her own rightness in detecting crime, she fancies herself as a matchmaker, believing she has an all-but-infallible "awareness of the human heart." Among the SI snippets I mentioned dreaming up was one in which she'd try to pair my character up with a nice young lady who turns out to be a German spy (either during or just prior to WWI). I enjoyed the idea of her trying to wriggle out of the blame.
-----
Re: Amelia Peabody Emerson
The author's official site is here, in case anyone's interested, and it turns out that a new Amelia book came out last month.

-- Bob
---------