Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something of an experiment - DW the Print Version
Something of an experiment - DW the Print Version
This is what happens when a frustrated graphic designer armed with a copy of Adobe InDesign gets bored:
fnord.sandwich.net/dw2/dw2.pdf (1.5 MB)
This is a printable version of DW2's first ten chapters, all nicely laid out and formatted for 5.5"x8.5" pages - about the same size as a trade paperback or hardcover. 352pp. I figure the final pagecount will be around 550pp once I get the last five parts formatted and placed.
So far, I think it looks pretty good. The copyright/credit pages are going to kick my ass by the time I'm done, though. Especially the song credits. Oy. %P---
Mr. Fnord, interdimensional man of mystery.
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Re: Something of an experiment - DW the Print Version
Nicely done. I read through the first half of this over the weekend and browsed the rest, and it looks very nice. I see some places where you missed changing asterisk-delimitation into italics, and a couple other places that were supposed to be italics that maybe I forgot to delimit, so you didn't convert them. Other than that, it looks very very good.

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
Quote:
I see some places where you missed changing asterisk-delimitation into italics, and a couple other places that were supposed to be italics that maybe I forgot to delimit, so you didn't convert them.
Well, it's entirely possible that I overlooked delimited words and then removed the asterisks, so it's not necessarily something *you* forgot to delimit. In theory, the text should be exactly the same as the copies on the DW2 page (minus title cards and chapter credits). Where it isn't is entirely my error.---

I don't have an easy way of doing a redline between them, and I don't have the inclination to do it by eye, so I guess we'll never know.

-- Bob
---------
Oh, I'm sure there's somebody obsessive-compulsive enough out there to do a redline.. but it's not me. Wink---

-- Bob
---------
(raises hand) I happen to be just that obsessive...
...but it'll take a while before I can clear enough of my other obsessions to get to this one. Smile
--Sam
"How the hell did I do that?"
Re: Re: Something of an experiment - DW the Print Version

-- Bob
---------
Another text dump - in this case, I converted DW2 to a Palm reader format - specifically, Mobipocket...
Drunkards_Walk-Full.pdb
(Note - I just called it that without putting the step on, since it is the only full step so far...)
I also stripped out all the copyrights.
Balentius
As I recally, Offsides has done much the same thing -- with EPU stuff as well as mine.

-- Bob
---------
That would be (mostly) correct. I converted everything I had acces to at the time to iSilo format, by way of doing HTML conversions first(!). Of course, that was several years ago, when I was sill using my Palm religiously - now I just have a personal laptop Smile
Offsides
P.S. Yes, I'm still alive, but between being engaged and planning a wedding (D-99 days and counting!), having a full-time job that's only recently ramped down from "Danger, Will-Robinson, Danger!" mode to "Ok, which thing we've been putting off for way too damn long are we going to do now" mode, moving 3.5 times (including my fiancee moving in with me) in 18 months, and just generally finding myself with a negative free-time balance, I've not done much except pop in for a quick look anytime lately... Not to metion my Grandmother passing away this past Monday, and my fiancee losing a Great Aunt on Friday on top of myself losing one 3 weeks ago, it's been crazy... At least they were all well advanced in years, though I always thought my Grandmother would last until my kids were married... Smile
P.P.S. It hasn't happened yet, but we're "adopting" an bench in Central Park in memory of my Grandmother, so if you see one dedicated to Helen Megerman, feel free to say hi - I'm sure she'd enjoy it SmileDrunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At LargeDrunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Welcome back, Josh!
My condolences to both you on your losses.

-- Bob
---------