Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Bit of Warriors History
Re: A Bit of Warriors History
Is is just me, or does anyone else doubt the protective or offensive value of flan...
([hidden grin])
Of course, the powers of F*rtman, particularly when they were used to move the American President out of the path of an assassin's bullet, are a lot more obvious!
Then, there was the character who had stretching, but restricted to only a small part of his body... Yes, and it was prehensile too!
Unfortunately, these were superhero characters who actually got played, but, you might suspect how serious people were about the game... [grin]
My character was Santa Claus, who had been kidnapped by the Russian Army (after the B film, "Santa Claus V. the Russians"), and had a time travelling sleigh so he could get in all those Christmas deliveries... Not to mention Life Support restricted to sherry and mince pies... And "Detect Appropriate Present", and the sack with summoning powers, and Desolidification only While Not Being Watched, etc, etc.
More than 18 years ago now...
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Quote:
had Stretching, but linited to only a certain part of the body
From what you imply, this sounds rather like Thunderd!ck from the God of Sex manga - and if so, I do hope he had some form of armor-skin power too!
For my part, the only overachieving spot-on-the-wall supers I've dealt with were a villian with heavy kickboxing skills who could make socks harder than steel, another villain with the power to speak with and compell reptiles (though after he started breeding dinosaurs that was rather more useful) and a girl who could create spices at will. who was/is half of the title duo in my utterly comatose Superguy series "Spice Girl and (Undefined)" (nothing WHATSOEVER to do with the band).
Spice Girl, AKA Rosemary Cayanne Coriander, could manifest spices hot enough to melt the workings of locks, turn a cinnamon stick into a bo staff to fight with, and cause crippluingly painful cases of heartburn at a touch, but had a bit of trouble toning it down to use the power in actual cooking - fortunately, she was also immune to all spice-based damage. I suspect UF-Zoner might describe her chili as 'Notably warm.'
Thinking about it, there's one more character from that who'd have had oddbal powers if I ever got around to writing the bits where he showed up, a gardener who was a Hedge Wizard, the kind whose flower beds are laid out with mathematical prescision, grow irridescent and glowing flowers, and can be activated to become Major Circles of Protection with a mile or so radius.
(Undefined) was basically a living Infinite Power Pool, who never used the same power twice, and had been a local hero since anyone can remember, with his UndefinedCraft (which fits into a siongle parking space, but is larger on the inside, has been seen driving and flying, moves at great speed, and recently gained a projector apparatus on the underside that can be used to produce large, golden donuts of destructive energy) and providing accomodations in the ndefinedBase which is, naturally, in some undefined location near the outskirts of Velo.
Actually, (U) is almost equivalent to Doug, if Doug didn't need music, but was limited to effects doing no more damage than a good handgun with special loads, and no fooling with the time/space contimuum beyond an effect similar to Doug's field, due to being a vaguely man-shaped blob of indefinite color and therefore hard to locate precisely to hit. Oh, and when (U) moves a certain way he can confuse people trying to watch him enough that the weak minded pass out, and even the strong get a nasty headache, but he can't attack while doing so. Move right next to someone so he can whack them with a stun-rod he wasn't holding a moment before, yes, attack while moving, no.
Of course, Superguy is all about being superhero parody, so you get things like Flannelman, protector of Seattle, Spam (the allegeged food product) as the ultimate power in the universe (Althouh as the three-dimensional representation of a fourth dimensional vector, I'm not sure if it actually qualifies as being in any one universe precisely) even stronger than cola/uncola reactors, supervillains who become teachers at private colleges because Mr. Destruction just doesn't have that ring to it, and claiming to be a doctore without having a degree would be wrong, so he can be Professor Destruction, or - coming back to mine - world domination through stale vending machine food and genius lawnmower inventors who turn to evil after being fired from the local country club for building an aerial assault mower in comapny time. (He stole the prototype, fifnished it in his garage, and leter attacked during the Branmuphin Cup golf tournement to get revenge...)
- CD, who just realised his signoff is one keyboard position away from 'VF'
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
That sounds like one hell of a supers world, CD... Very funny! I don't think Doug would do well there, though -- he works best with a more serious background to act as contrast...

-- Bob
---------
"Flan on!" -- The battlecry of the Human Dessert
> ... armour-skin ...
Pretty sure he didn't have that, but I wouldn't be suprised if he had Regeneration. I think these characters were done using Superhero 2044, where the character generation rules seemed to be, "whatever you can get past the GM"...
> (Undefined) was basically a living Infinite Power Pool, who
> never used the same power twice, and had been a local hero
> since anyone can remember
Sounds like a local campaign character called "Burton", as he turned up wearing a suit with the name of that (tailoring) company on the inside jacket pocket. A remarkably lacking in character character, of very unclear origin, who tended to be used to boost the powers of other characters when we needed to deal with real mega villains. Like the World Eater.
Still, Afrighter (of the Blood) made the mistake of totally terrifying one PC early in the campaign, who towards the end of the campaign turned up with a power _just_ good enough to get through his truely OTT defences, and transformed him into a 13-year old girl, with a strong tendancy to get frightened... That was the same campaign that featured the STTOS Scotty and Spock robots, with all the appropriate skills, and under the control of the PCs (be very careful as a GM what you show a character who can make fully functional duplicates of non-living things...).
Sounds like your parody campaign is great fun!
I would certainly be interested in hearing more of Warriors World, after all I understand the "Wild Cards" series of novels came out of a Superworld campaign.
Well, Bob?!? [grin]
Ask Baen Books?
--
Quote:
I would certainly be interested in hearing more of Warriors World, after all I understand the "Wild Cards" series of novels came out of a Superworld campaign.
Well, Bob?!? [grin]
Ask Baen Books?
You could always look for a copy of GURPS International Super Teams -- it was, in its own way, a kind of snapshot of Warriors' World circa 1989-1990. Tales of WW -- well, I'm not always the best person to tell them; I don't always remember them as accurately as others do, unless I've taken notes, and I didn't do that very often. If I could get "Skitz" back, or get Helen or one of the others to join the board, I might even set up a seperate WW section where us old timers could sit in our rocking chairs while all you kids gather at our feet for storytime.

-- Bob
---------
Hey, superheroes!
Well, here's some of my favorites superheros I've played.:
1) "Rick" (V&V) - Rick wasn't all that stable. He had a severe identity disorder, so he was never quite sure what exactly he was, or who he was, or where he left his keys. Superhero, mage, ninja, swashbuckler.... He had massive illusion powers (limited to his clothes), was remarkably competent at melee/HTH, and had a semi-magical artifact that would supply him with one random super ability a day.
2) The Greek Consortium (Champions) - An entire team based off of the Greek alphabet, with powers to match some aspect of their letter. I think half the reason I did this entire group of heros was beacuse I loved playing with those Champions character sheets.
3) Vortex - (GURPS Supers) - Absorb powers. Lots of them. High powered ones. Every one I could think off. When he was feeling underpowered he'd go get hit by a train.
Re: Hey, superheroes!
Oh my...
Heh. As it happens, I'm involved in a Marvel Classic game right now. In this game, we have the following characters:
Hannah Monroe - Start with Chibi-usa. Give her Washu's brain, the Mayor of New York for a father (we're set in NYC), and more Contacts than God has money. "Hi, Uncle Steve! Vote Monroe!"
Steve "The Director" Hitch - Dracula's cape. Darth Vader's helmet. James Bond's Walther PPK. Indiana Jones' bullwhip. Imperial stormtrooper armor. Freddy Kreuger's gloves. Dissasemble all but one hinge, and provide with Batman's bankroll. Enjoy. "(on calling card) Congratulations. You've been rescued by THE DIRECTOR. Have a nice day."
Paul "Martyr" Sanders - Mysterious Figure(tm). Forensic scientist by day, superhero by night. Ability to teleport, control dust, and do a damn good impression of Doug's "Dust in the Wind" power. Also a devotee of the 101 creative uses for grenades. "Everyone deserves a chance at redemption."
Brand Richter - Cross Himura Kenshin with Ruroken's version of Saitou Hajime. Imagine the result in the Marvel Universe. ph34r. (and it's all my fault! mwahahahah...) "Dammit! I am not a superhero!"
As of the end of our last session, Martyr was tracing the origins of a military robot found pushing drugs that made whoever took them into a cut-rate super(villian), Hannah was sleeping the sleep of the Amelia Wil Tesla Sailoon-style Just, the Director was hunting after his serial-killer arch-nemesis Mr. Xerox (imagine the most pathetic, -tasteless- Trekkie you ever saw in a Ferengi mask) who had recently been revealed to be his best friend, and Brand was being mind controlled by our current Arch-villian and doing his level best to rules-lawyer his way around every command he'd been given.
I'm having a lot of fun.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Don't really feel much like commenting lately. I'm sorry.
But this did occur to me, thought you should see it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Berry Gehm
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -- Florence Ambrose (from "Freefall", the webcomic)
Ed
Superheroes...
I think I have designed and played about 50-60 of these...
Under Champions 2/3/4, Superworld, V&V, Marvel Superheroes (classic), and designed but not played under GURPS Supers, DC Hero, Superhero 2044, and Aberrant.
Guess I am a bit of a fan(atic)...
Champions seems to work best for me, followed by Superworld, but they have all got their virtues, and different flavours.
Funny, I was just thinking about one of my old Champions characters, "Meta" by name (who also existed in previous incarnations in a Bushido and a Justice Inc. campaign; literally previous incarnations). Meta was partly a design exercise, and was a Martial Artist, Super Scientist/Gadgeteer, Flier, Brick and after a few xp, Energy Projecter (laser vision, you know). Modelled in some respects after the Big S (Silver Age), but twisted to my own, strange purposes! [grin]
Unfortunately, she turned out to not be a very nice person, far more interested in Humanity and augmentation technologies than humanity (says a lot that she had accidentally turned her best friend into a super villain), and turned out to not be much fun to play... I do prefer heroes...
Just goes to show that no matter how much design work you put in before play (quite a few of the characters 20-40hrs), you don't know how they will work except by playing them. At least one character has looked really good on paper, but when it came to play him, there was nothing "inside" him to play. I know others who have had this problem, I hope it never inflicts Bob!
Still, I think over the 25+ years that I have been RPGing, super hero games have been the best fun! [grin]
And, with very few other exceptions, BGC has been one of the closest anime to the super hero genre. And, it's got independently intelligent robots in it, so you can't loose!
--
Quote:
And, with very few other exceptions, BGC has been one of the closest anime to the super hero genre.
It's a weird combination of cyberpunk and superhero, and much brighter than the only other occupant of that niche that I know of, the RPG "Underground".
As for the exceptions, I think Moldiver might just be the definitive superhero anime...

-- Bob
---------
> I think Moldiver might just be the definitive superhero anime
Yup. Definately no arguments with that. "Maris the Supergal" must have a chance, though... [grin]
But, BGC is the one that has generated all the fanfic, and BGC is definately the one that is far better known.
I still like the idea of a boomer being the first native mage in BGC's world... [grin]
The lack of aliens in BGC (and Moldiver) making the situation basically all humanity's fault is also one of the strengths of the setting, IMNVHO.
--
Superhero anime
GUYS.
Astroboy. Come on.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
www.yggdrasil.org
Re: Superhero anime
Hm. If we're going that far back, how about Marineboy?

-- Bob
---------
If you mention "Kimba the White Lion" I am going to get upset! [grin]
Yup, "Tetsuwan Atom/Mighty Atom" has got to be a good prospect, and I would not be suprised if there is even some obscure anime almost no one knows of which is perfect! [grin]
I would bet on Atom against most boomer...
So, if Doug wants a non-organic spokesman for the freed boomer population, all he needs to do is lay his hands on Atom, by some means! [grin]
--
Don't be silly. Kimba wasn't a superhero!
(At least as far as I can remember...)

-- Bob
---------
> Don't be silly. Kimba wasn't a superhero!
>
> (At least as far as I can remember...)
Starting from humble beginnings, fighting against almost impossible odds, triumphing in the end?
Hmm. Guess that's just "heroic", without the super prefix! [grin]
Just, everytime someone mentions old anime, and Marine Boy is mentioned, Kimba the White Lion is not far behind!
Got to wear me down, a bit...
--
Let's not forget Speed Racer, if your going to go that route. It was the precursor to most of the giant robot shows. The only difference was that the up and comer got a super robot instead of the worlds greatest racecar. :p"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I wonder how much anime existed in Warriors World?
In the super hero world of "Watchmen" super hero comics never appeared, and they had pirate comics instead, which appeared to be really gory. Partly a reference to the attempt to ban the more drastic comics in the 1950s, I think.
Then, there is the question as to whether 2000 AD exists in WW, as that is just about the only "boys" comic left in the UK, with Eagle and it's star Dan Dare, long gone, with his Britain in space semi-utopian world.
Not really sure what the US equivalent would be...
--
Re: Comics in WW
Quote:
Then, there is the question as to whether 2000 AD exists in WW, as that is just about the only "boys" comic left in the UK, with Eagle and it's star Dan Dare, long gone, with his Britain in space semi-utopian world.
Not really sure what the US equivalent would be...
That's something to puzzle 'bout, whether the mag that brings us Judge Dread exists.
I think he closest equiv to the days of Dan Dare in the US would some works of Warren Ellis, or that's what he attempted with his unfinished 'Ministry of Space' mini-series. I hazzard to guess if 'Planetary' or 'The Authority' even comes close to that.
Brian Bendis' 'Powers' is a title I could see existing after all people watch cop shows and some watch superhero shows, in a world where both exist as reality wouldn't there be some who'd watch both at once if it was combined? I'd doubt it would have the funky storylines that's occured recently though.
And seeing that Australia is probably the last bastion of this book seeing that the 50th anniversery was this or last year, perhaps Wakanda's The Ghost who Walks - The Phantom is an active title if not an active hero. Those Walker Chronicles would have enough tales to fill a run.
--Rod.H (who does the best he can to stay current as he can in a few titles)
"A dark elder god out to destroy the universe and only a few beings bonded to spider-like symbionts can either stop or help it. No wonder why the Australian comic book industry is dead if that's all they can come up with. Just Gold Digger, Iron Man & OMG! this week thanks."
Re: Comics in WW
Okay, this is not really an "official" answer except in as far as I am current Warriors GM -- and even then it's not official. It's not really a topic that ever came up in play.
Anyway, this is one place where the DW Warriors' World diverges from the IST world. As I note in the Concordance
Quote:
Well, in a world with real superheroes, superhero comics didn't quite make it past the 1930s. DC's Superman is a forgotten, dusty relic of the Great Depression, much like "Jack Armstrong, The All-American Boy".
More properly, there are superhero comics, but they're like detective comics, romance comics, war comics and the like -- a niche market, not the primary defining genre. Furthermore, Dr. Fredric Wertham never wrote his inflamatory polemic Seduction of the Innocent, and the whole line of events that depended on its existence never happened, leaving intact horror, true crime and whole host of other genres that were more or less forced out of existence in our timeline.
As for anime and manga, well, I'll have to do a little research on how the real world developed before I can give you a detailed answer, but I can tell you the following general trends, which grow more or less directly out of the Home Islands being substantially less enamoured of Western things: The art style is generally more realistic, with Western facial features being reserved for (and often exaggerated on) Western characters. Medieval and fantasy stories are almost never European in flavor; Heian Period seems to be preferred setting, with traditional magic systems replacing the general preference for Hermetic and Qabbalistic imagery you see in our world's anime and manga. Themes tend to be a bit more jingoistic, and there are more series that invoke the "golden" era of the militaristic, prewar 1920s. Non-Japanese are usually portrayed as barbarians, although not universally evil or hostile; however, in most series where they appear, friendly gaijin are subject to a Japanese version of "Stepin Fetchit" that reduces them to kowtowing yes-men lackeys to their Japanese superiors.
I'll think about it and see if I can't come up with a list of anime and manga that almost certainly wouldn't have appeared, or which appeared in a highly altered state. "Sakura Wars" probably has an all-Japanese cast; "Bubblegum Crisis" probably doesn't exist at all. The analogues to "Slayers" and "Lodoss Wars" take place in medieval Japan and are unrecognizable. "Ranma 1/2" is more or less unchanged, except Shampoo and the Amazons are far less sympathetically portrayed. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
So, if Doug wants a non-organic spokesman for the freed boomer population, all he needs to do is lay his hands on Atom, by some means!
Perhaps Adama's AI was recoverable? DWII is set post-Crash, IIRC, and being reborn as a superhero after near-destruction as a peace-loving noncombatant would be following in the mighty footsteps of Optimus Prime, Rockman, and possibly the original Tetsuwan Atom if my exceptionally unclear memory of the plot summaries I once dug up is correct.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
If Adama's AI were recoverable, I think that Priss and Sylia between them would have recovered it by now; furthermore, it would cheapen the episode if Adama were simply rebootable -- why put Priss through all that emotional agony when all you had to do was move his brain to a new chassis and hit the reset button?
Hm. Even if the hardware were intact, it may not have done any good anyway; if Adama's mind were an emergent phenomenon, a cold shutdown (as opposed to a standby) would probably have wiped it clean and started it off as a blank slate.

-- Bob
---------
> ...wiped it clean...
Easy! All you need is a Reincarnation spell! [grin]
All that extra karma from such a short and tragic life has to be good enough for an upgrade to a new super hero body, like Astro Boy!
(No, I am _not_ serious.)
--
Thank god.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Hm. Even if the hardware were intact, it may not have done any good anyway; if Adama's mind were an emergent phenomenon, a cold shutdown (as opposed to a standby) would probably have wiped it clean and started it off as a blank slate.
Hmm, that might actually be the best way to play it for the 'buma superhero' result, actually - hardware and fragmentary data recovered, but all Sylia's computers and all Sylia's freinds can't put Humpty Dumpty together again. They get -an- AI, and it has a few bits of memories from being Adama, but it's -not- Adama, and doesn't even want a similar body design.
And whatever idiotic doubletalk supposedly made machines with the new AI invisible to electronic devices is gone to the big trash heap in the... nevermind where... for ideas so stupid they lower the collective IQ of the planet.
- CD
--