Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where NOT To Send Doug
Re: Re: This Thread
Quote:
There's also the fact that it's a lame show. Not to be forgetting -that-.
Oh well, if you're gonna get technical...
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
I think we've pretty much established that DB(Z) is not a viable option as a Step.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
... Err... *MIGHT* be a bit overwhelming for Superman? He'd be toast five minutes into a fight with Kuririn during the Saiyajin saga. He *MIGHT* be an even match for Goku right after the first Tenkaichi Budoukai sequence...
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Superman - & another idea
I didn't use the word 'might'. I am, in general, in agreement with your assessment (although may I point out, he could simply have escaped into space - none of the 'good-guys' and only a handful of the bad guys can survive out there). After all, the entire world is endangered simply by Goku _powering up_ to SSJ3, even before he does anything with all that power.
On another note, would a step be feasible in the world of 'Grunts' by Mary Gentle. A world where the apparent line between light and dark is actually mostly a matter of PR techniques, and where the Orc Marines are the nearest things to heros (okay, anti-heros) that he's likely to find, what would Mr. Sangnoir think?
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Grunts
I'll have to find the book first and read it.

-- Bob
---------
Grunts
I recommend it
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Grunts
It sounds vaguely familiar; I may have heard of it before. Since it's a rainy Saturday here in NJ, maybe I'll go look in my local B&N or Borders for a copy...
Thanks for the recommendation, whatever comes of it.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Superman vs DBZ
Depends on which Superman you're talking about. The original version wasn't anywhere near as powerful as the current version. But the Superman from just before the crisis story arc would wipe the floor with ANY character who ever appeared in Dragonball Z.
Quote:
But the Superman from just before the crisis story arc would wipe the floor with ANY character who ever appeared in Dragonball Z.
Hm... You may be right. The Superman of the 1970s-early 1980s was pretty much a god, with an almost Hulk-like ability to scale up to meet and beat his opposition (which is one reason they handed him to John Byrne to revamp). I remember one issue where they recast his famous tagline along the lines of "Faster than a speeding beam of light, more powerful than a nuclear bomb, able to leap between stars in a single bound"...

-- Bob
---------
Nope. Sorry. FTL? Done, effortlessly, by a character with (at the time) a maximum powerlevel of 250,000, while hiding the vast majority of his strength. More powerful than a nuclear bomb? Done, efortlessly, in the original Dragonball, when powerlevels had yet to pass the 300 mark. Able to leap between stars... well, after Gokou learns to teleport, he fits that description, as do Furiizaa, Cell, and Majin Buu. The only reason the majority of the main cast members can't do *THAT* is because they can't survive without an atmosphere.
Superman vs. DBZ
Quote:
Nope. Sorry. FTL? Done, effortlessly, by a character with (at the time) a maximum powerlevel of 250,000, while hiding the vast majority of his strength. More powerful than a nuclear bomb? Done, efortlessly, in the original Dragonball, when powerlevels had yet to pass the 300 mark. Able to leap between stars... well, after Gokou learns to teleport, he fits that description, as do Furiizaa, Cell, and Majin Buu. The only reason the majority of the main cast members can't do *THAT* is because they can't survive without an atmosphere.
Actually, I wouldn't be so sure about that last, in the short term at least. Bardok and Freeza's army had a nice little battle far enough above Vegitasei that a quarter arc would fit in the screen, which means low orbit at least, and he was only around 10,000 at the time. About the regular cast members of DBZ that' I'd expect to have a problem with vaccum immediately would be Bulma, Oolong, Puar, Roshi, Karin, Yajirobe, Mr. Satan, and maybe Dende if being Kami doesn't protect him from environmental effects. Even Krillin, Yamcha, and Tienshinhan are in that range by the time 17 and 18 show up, and unofficial calculations have put Krillin around 15 million by the Buu saga - equal to SSJ Goku when he whooped up on Freeza... which is about enough for him to be the comic relief at that point, as always.
He's the one I feel bad for in the DBZ cast, to tell the truth, after spending most of Dragon Ball as Goku's friendly rival who gives it his all but is just a hair weaker, he gets dropped to the bottom of the active roster in Z and falls off of it by the Cell Games. One of the things that's always been incredibly tempting to me is to come up with some explanation for him to get put right back near the top of the list again - but the killer about that is, I honestly don't think it would change him that much as a character, since he's always been the easygoing best buddy whether he was in the same leaue or not, and the only one who ever strikes the last blow is the one who's been away for special training and who the others are stalling for time to have arrive, no matter how many or how few other fighters show up for the battle.
The only exception I can think of for this is the Bojack movie, where the one who'd been off somewhere else shows up just long enough for the hero of the day to catch his breath and do the job.
Incidentally, the evil chick in this movie is one of the others I feel sorry for - kicked to the side by her own leader and most likely vaporised offhand by the 'good guy' to keep her out from underfoot as they faced off, when she herself hadn't even killed anyone during the movie... not very much in the tradition of letting your enemies have a second chance to try turning them into friends, like Oolong, Yamcha, Krillin, Ox King, Chichi, #8, Tienshinhan, Chaozu, Oopa and his father, Karin, Piccolo, Vegita, Paikkon, 16, 17, 18, Videl, and Buu, now is it? That's almost the entire cast... and possibly the greatest message of the series, that even the worst enemies can be brought to the side of the angels if you stop trying to kill each other. Granted there were plenty of emeis who wouldn't stop going after the good guys and had to be offed, and not all of the ones on the list were particularly bad enemies to begin with - Krillin and Videl in particular were more in the way of frustrating than out for blood - but you get the point.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: Superman vs. DBZ
<<Actually, I wouldn't be so sure about that last, in the short term at least. Bardok and Freeza's army had a nice little battle far enough above Vegitasei that a quarter arc would fit in the screen, which means low orbit at least, and he was only around 10,000 at the time. About the regular cast members of DBZ that' I'd expect to have a problem with vaccum immediately would be Bulma, Oolong, Puar, Roshi, Karin, Yajirobe, Mr. Satan, and maybe Dende if being Kami doesn't protect him from environmental effects. Even Krillin, Yamcha, and Tienshinhan are in that range by the time 17 and 18 show up, and unofficial calculations have put Krillin around 15 million by the Buu saga - equal to SSJ Goku when he whooped up on Freeza... which is about enough for him to be the comic relief at that point, as always. >><br><br>Err... there *IS* a difference between being able to survive vacuum long enough for a fight and long enough to travel interstellar distances...
Space - the final elimination round! Never say die, Gohan!
Quote:
Quote:Actually, I wouldn't be so sure about that last, in the short term at least. (insert list of people who've fought in space and others with => power
Err... there *IS* a difference between being able to survive vacuum long enough for a fight and long enough to travel interstellar distances...

True, but Dragonball cosmology doesn't seem to be the same as the real world, even beyond being four galaxies floating in a bowl with a dome over the top. It takes only a few seconds for Kooler to get blasted from just above Earth's surface into the Sun in his movie, meaning either the sun is a lot closer then our own, or he was geting shot at FTL speeds himself - and if a kamehameha travels FTL, then again, just about any of the characters can fly that fast unassisted. As further evidence, the spaceships travel in normal space, without significant relativistic effects, and a mono headphone sized peice of equipment can transmit interplanetaery signals. Young Goku once rode the Nyoibo (Powr Pole in the dub) to the to the MOON in Dragonball No-Z, for crying out loud, and apparently it has some kind of breathale atmosphere because he stranded Boss Rabbit and his goons there. Hopefully he remembered them sometime before it got blown up the first time, but knowing Goku...

Interstellar flight would still be too much for the lower range ones, but an interplanetary hop would most likely be at least possible if they had the prospect of a senzu/regen tank/mystic healer on the other end, and of course an atmosphere there. Beyond that - wasn't Bulma the only one wearing a pressure suit when they took off for Namek? Given that they specifically waited until everything was ready to go so it would be as safe a trip as possible, Krilling probably and Gohan certainly (Can you see Chichi NOT screaming herself blue in the face about this?) would have had them also if vacuum was a credible threat to them in a similar amount of time as a space suit could supply air.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: Space - the final elimination round! Never say die, Goha
Perhaps... but even if they are travelling at FTL speeds in their fights... *WHAT* FTL speed? Remember... when Furiza blew up Namekusei, his plan was to prevent Goku from breathing. The logical conclusion is that habitable planets are rare enough that he'd suffocate before he reached one, even if he headed to one at full speed.