Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neat Science Stuff
Neat Science Stuff
A metal that's twice as hard as titanium, but can be molded like plastic at temperatures of only 750 degrees fahrenheight. It's currently competitive with titanium but they hope soon to have it competitive with stainless steel.

I know this comes a little late to be of any use in giving any neat speculative ideas on Boomers and the like, but who knows? It might come in handy in some other step. Maybe they make the plating for the Evangelion armor out of this stuff? Progressive knives? Maybe Skuld is working with the stuff in the OMG step? Whatever - This is just damn nifty. Check it out!.
-Logan
Re: Science Stuff
>Maybe they make the plating for the Evangelion armor out of this stuff? Progressive knives?
Kinda unlikely, since both the knives and even more the armor have been shown to be able to take a truly tremendous amount of heat without major reaction.
View the Fifth angel - both Units take fire from a weapon that could vaporize titanium - and the armor isn't penetrated.
Skuld, OTOH, would probably like it a lot.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Neat Science Stuff
Somebody ought to go show Gryphon that page. With his current muse activity, he might come up with a Transformer that can remold as well as reconfigure.
Re: Neat Science Stuff
Interesting -- and you're right, Gryphon would probably love to hear about this stuff...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Neat Science Stuff
Odd bit of astronomical trivia that I heard yesterday:
The northeast star in the Great Square, which is part of the constellation Pegasus, is also part of the constellation Andromeda. Two constellations sharing a single point of light. But that's okay; the star in question, Alpharatz, is a double star. Cosmic synchronicity at its best. [Image: smile.gif]
Ebony the Black Dragon
aka Draco Draconis Ebenium
known to StarDate Radio as Aaron F. Johnson
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Re: Science Stuff
Quote:
>Maybe they make the plating for the Evangelion armor out of this stuff? Progressive knives?
Kinda unlikely, since both the knives and even more the armor have been shown to be able to take a truly tremendous amount of heat without major reaction.
View the Fifth angel - both Units take fire from a weapon that could vaporize titanium - and the armor isn't penetrated.
Granted - but in reading the article, it isn't quite clear to me whether the remolding qualities of the metal are a one-time only thing or not. In other words - can you heat it up and remold it more than once? Or is it stuck in it's set form after the first time? It seems that they are touting the initial manufacturing qualities of the metal - it's ease in molding and shaping - and not talking very much about it's subsequent durability under those same heat conditions after the manufacturing process. Does it behave more like normal steel after the first time that it's reheated? I don't think they said.
I've heard of memory metals that snap to an original position under specific heat or current loads - but those are all one-time deals. I have yet to hear about a memory metal that snaps back and forth multiple times in real life. Then again, I don't rabidly keep up with this stuff either. So I may be out of date.
-Logan