Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it a bird, is it a plane?
Is it a bird, is it a plane?
This is...a totally odd idea, but I haven't been able to shake it from my brain for a while now.

I'm not sure what circumstances would lead to this, but bear with me for the moment. Let's say, hypothetically, for whatever story reason... Doug needs
to make a dogs-of-hell-are-nibbling-at-my-ankles the-world-is-at-stake blistering race across the planet or something. Across an ocean, across a continent, I
don't know.

But with constraints. Possibly he's got to stay within high atmosphere. Possibly follow a certain path. I dunno. But some mad desperate-as-heck dash across
an aerial route.

Would he be able to set up a playlist for that? A series of flight power songs, following one after another? I'm a Pioneer chaining into
Queen's Don't Stop Me Now, followed by...I dunno, Elton John's Rocket Man, R.Kelly's I Believe I Can Fly...

How smoothly do power songs transition, once one stops playing and the other picks up? Will there be a second or two of bumpy turbulance or even
freefall between songs?

Will his metagift kick him in the teeth for attempting a stunt like this?

'cause I'm thinking, whatever the limitations, it could be a really good sequence for a Stagger at least...

-- Acyl
Re: Is it a bird, is it a plane?
It's very simple, Acyl:

"Ray of Light" by Madonna lets him become a macro-scale tachyon. The slowest he can then go is c.

Can you say coast-to-coast in less than 1/50th of a second?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ah, but sometimes you need to fly more slowly than that...

"The flying monkeys grabbed Dorothy! Doug, you can fly - why aren't you chasing them?"

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: Is it a bird, is it a plane?
Pretty much what Rob Kelk said, really. What I'm asking is, given constraints that would prevent Doug from using his
absolutely fastest speed - or any instantanious teleportation power or whatever...would something like this work?

Yeah, I know, you'd need very specific conditions for him to try such a stunt, but...

-- Acyl

Erk. I'd have to come up with a list of appropriate songs. I only have a couple flight or flight-like things that come to mind at the moment.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, aside from a list of flight-specific songs... there's a more general question. That is, would a
"playlist" of songs granting a similar power effect result in a smooth transition from one song to another,
with no major disruption in service?

In this example of flight songs, would there be a short but distinct period of time between one song ending and the next kicking in?

Can the helmet be set to chain songs together in this manner?

Again, it need not be flight; would Doug be able to link any series of songs with similiar effect? Or is it something his metagift would punish him for?

Obviously from an authorial point of view, this isn't what Doug's...I dunno, approach is meant to be. But I find it difficult to believe he hasn't
at least considered something like it before, or experimented with it... and is there an in-universe reason this wouldn't work, beyond 'it's not an
avenue the character is meant to go down, and this is outside concept'?

-- Acyl