Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting Fires
Starting Fires
I don't know why I was surprised at all, and most of you have probably seen it long since, but a friend recently sent me the link below: a recording of
"We Didn't Start the Fire" with associated pictures. No moving images, and of course no Sensurround such as Lisa got, but you can get the feeling
of being a bargain-basement version of Doug.

http://yeli.us/Flash/Fire.html
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Oh, yeah, I've seen this before. Nice work.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I hadn't... Definatly thanks for the link. My goodness I'm old, I still recall far too much about all of that as recent history.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Likewwise...

Mm, case in point. Folks in the US will know -- because of the proliferation of news coverage -- that the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Martin
Luther King Jr. was just a couple days ago. I have very clear memories of the news coverage of the funeral afterwards, mainly because I was upset that I
couldn't watch my cartoons that afternoon.
-- Bob
---------

Mm. Iran Hostage Crisis, same deal. (The Godzilla Power Hour, and I'm ashamed that I can remember it that specifically.)

--Sam

"Up from the depths, thirty stories high..."

Bobby Kennedy's assassination, ditto. (Not the Godzilla Power Hour, though, thank Chaos.)

Old ... I saw a birthday card I loved, recently. On the front is a rhapsody about how majestic and stirring the mighty ancient
redwoods are, centuries upon centuries old, etc. Open it up and it says, "Thank you for planting them."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Due to being younger than many here apparently, my first experiences with this rally start with the Challenger exploding. However, I think that television
has warped things on shows besides the news. For instance, when I was around 10 Nick at Night came to be... because of it I saw many of the shows he grew up
with, I floored him one night correcting him on the plot points of a random episode of I think it was My Three Sons, this was late '80s. I was literally
watching shows that had been on when he was a kid. The raw availability of the past has warped future generation till the next Apocalypse, at least.

You want something worse than the effects of understanding a name in the news 50 years or so ago... think about what it means that you can make obscure 50 year
old pop culture references and aren't taught in school and instantly have it caught by a ten year old. One you didn't teach to them or know they knew
about.

I kinda grew up with that, sort of. My parents are older folks -- they adopted me when they were in their 30s -- and so my particular instantiation of pop culture has always been an odd mix of the current and Depression-era.
-- Bob
---------