Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For A Little Input

What about the prayer from the Boondock Saints? Not exactly an incantation, but iconic.

Quote:And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

Quote: Hollow49 wrote:

What about the prayer from the Boondock Saints? Not exactly an incantation, but iconic.

Quote:And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

*BANG!* Wink

Necro'ing this thread, as my attention's recently turned back to this project, and I'm wondering if anyone's found anything new and interesting that fits my needs in the last two years... Once again, thanks in advance.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Klaatu Barada N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Klaatu... Barada... N...
[coughs
-Ash, Army of Darkness
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Quickfire thought, since you mentioned promises. It's in an odd language mind.

Quote:Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

English translation: The purity of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise

Origin: Irish Army Ranger Wing motto. Actually composed of the original motto's of the ancient Fianna, chosen to make a link between the modern army, and ancient legends.

'Lo, there do I see my father.
'Lo, there do I see My mother, and my sisters, and my brothers.
'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
'Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them.

In the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.
- The 13th Warrior
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Well, there's always the Hippocaratic Oath. I posted a wuzzle of the modern and tranlated ancient forms as cited on Wikipedia http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... -of-a-hero]here in General Chatter not long ago - it's in the section after the first divider of the post, separating it from the musings on capital-J Justice and before the martial arts principles cribbed from one of my Fenspace story posts. If the latter qualifies as 'official enough' for inclusion, you're welcome to use it as well if you like.

Though not posted in that thread, there's the other oath the character I was creating and now platy is bound by, which I pretty much made up out of whole cloth, and which you're also welcome to use if you like:

I am a Danzai Soldier, and I am an Ally of Justice.
I am the defender of widows and orphans, and of all those who bear no ill will.
I am the shield that turns aside malice, and the sword that strikes down oppression.
I am the pillar that upholds truth, and the lantern that exposes injustice.

I am a Danzai Soldier, and I will protect the people of the worlds.
Against criminals and madmen, I will protect them.
Against invaders and power-seekers, I will protect them.
In any place and at any time that evil threatens, I will protect them.

I am a Danzai Soldier, and this is my oath.
This is my oath of Justice.
This is my oath of Protection.
This is my oath of Duty.

While stones endure in the mountains, while life endures in my body, and while stars endure in the sky, let this oath stand unbroken!

Note that in a dimension-spanning setting, this applies to all the people, of all the worlds. Everywhere. It doesn't set any limits on what are "people" either, only on how those to be protected and those to protect them from are identified by their actions. Depending on how strongly binding it's treated, that could be a rather major commitment, especially if the subject doesn't accept that their power is finite and they can only do so much.

- CD, wishes he could live up to those sentiments in reality as well, but is not a sentai hero, and is dreadfully short on compassion and discipline let alone determination and drive
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Hrm has anyone got DJ' Croft's incantation from NXE? I'm thinking it would fit in nicely here Tongue
Also from ZnT the infamous summoning spell.
"My servant that existed somewhere in this vast universe, my divine,
beautiful, wise, powerful servant, heed my call, I wish from very bottom
of my heart and add to my guidance and appear!" -Anime Version
"My name is Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière. Pentagon of the
five elemental power, Heed my summoning... and bring forth...my
familiar! Pentagon of the Five Elemental Powers, grant
your blessings upon this creature and bind it as my familiar." -Manga Version.
Stolen shamelessly from the ZnT wikia.

Quote:Hrm has anyone got DJ' Croft's incantation from NXE?
Do you mean this?
Quote:I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh; I have been called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold. I am hero.
Not quite what I'm looking for, and I'm already planning on using a variant elsewhere in the Walk. The ZnT invocation might work for my purposes, though. I'll have to think on it. As for the other recent suggestions... mm. Some are good but too short, like the Irish Ranger motto. The 13th Warrior quote isn't really an oath or promise, which is really key to what I need. I might be able to use at least part of the Danzai oath, although I'd prefer to use stuff from the culture at large. And the Hippocratic Oath doesn't quite fit for the purpose I need it for.

Still, thank you all for the suggestions so far, and I look forward to whatever else you guys can come up with.
-- Bob
---------

I guess "Thought, Breath, Action, Victory," a martial arts motto I can't recall the origin of before I stole it for Legend of Explosive Youth! is too short as ell, then. As for the Danzai Soldier oath, well, the character is vaguely based on Danzaiver from the "Evil Zone" Playstation game as adapted into a team show for a "remagined" new season.. the bits about widows and orphans is a direct lift from one of the in-game quotes, and I think the "in any place and at any time" is close to one as well. I made up a loose outline for the "show" and a couple of notes on the "second season" that my character was extracted before reaching, to have things for the GM to tie the game's metaplot to, but I know that it doesn't really count if it's not part of the general culture in OUR world.

The structure of that oath is really the most significant part, I think - it has three main points, each with three sub-points, and three conditions it's sworn by, making it thrice-three "magically significant," and those conditions tie it to the earth and th sky and to the caster's life/soul. When Daisuke recites it, he glows with danzaitron (magic) energy, and when he recognises something evil that needs a smiting it flashes visibly in his eyes.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

I can't recall the whole thing but you may want to track down the Grey Council spiel from B5
'We are Grey, we stand between the candle and the star, between the Darkness and the light..."

The flavour text for the M:tG card Safehold Sentry suddenly comes to mind:
"These bracers were worn by my father and by his mother before him. Boggart fangs have shattered on them. Cinder flames have withered at their touch. While I wear them, the safehold will not fall."
EDIT: from the same block, Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers:
Every elf in Shadowmoor is charged from birth with a terrible duty: to strike back against the ugliness and darkness, even though they are all around and seemingly without end.
Obviously, these can't be used directly, but perhaps they can be modified?

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I am the one who has been given a mission.
Under the contract, release those powers unto me.
Wind to the sky, stars to the heavens
And the unyielding soul...
To this heart!
Magic to these hands!
Raging Heart, Set Up!
-- Nanoha
Just to be a nit-picker: "Raging Heart" is a mistranslation. The English subtitles on the Japanese release of the movie – which have no spelling mistakes at all (that I saw) – consistently say "Raising Heart" from the very beginning.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Thanks, Rob, I'll make a note of that. But if I do make use of this quote, I almost certainly won't be quoting all the way to the end. So it's moot.
-- Bob
---------

Bob, still looking for some quotes? I have a few from various games I DM'ed that might help your creativity. Or are you looking only for published stuff ?
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

I'd prefer published stuff, but show me what you've got anyway.
-- Bob
---------

Published first then...
Till shade is gone,
till water is gone,
into the Shadow with teeth bared,
screaming defiance with the last breath,
to spit into Sightblinder's eye
on the Last Day.

-Aiel Oath

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

-Chant from a children’s game heard in Great Arvalon, the Fourth Age

I understand.
I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world.
The way before you has been prepared.

Mikage - Utena

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born.
We are the chick-
The world is our egg.
If we don't crack the world's shell, we will die without ever truly being born.
Smash the world's shell.
FOR THE REVOLUTION OF THE WORLD!

Student Council - Utena

Listen,
Can you hear it ?
If your soul has truly not given up,
You can hear the sound
that races through the end of the world!
Come with us! Follow us to the world you seek!

Touga - Utena
And some of my own :

Shadows beyond oblivion
Emptier than the darkness of night.
In Nothingness you dwell
Shunning all that his light.
Upon this oath I make
Upon my soul I swear
The path of destruction I walk
With you I shall share.
Through this world I go
My presence a sword.
Showing those unworthy to be
Your power to unmake the world.

-Invocation for a spell based on Dragon slave

Hellfire bow of cerberus might
Grant my arrows the gift of flight
Twist them hard upon winds of Fate
Seek the foe whose life I hate.

-Activation Rhyme for a bow equivalent of Gae Bolg
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

Thanks! I've stuck them in the relevant development file. Dunno if I'll use them; some -- the Utena stuff especially -- are thematically not-quite-right for what I plan to do, but I'm not eliminating them from consideration.
-- Bob
---------

Once again re-necroing this thread to see if anyone's found anything useful. I'll let you all know that I needed a small set of these, and I've got all but one now. I'm looking still for an oath of duty and defense, suitable for someone a bit rough and pragmatic in combat.
-- Bob
---------

“Not to go on all-Fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?”

?
H.G. Wells,

The Island of Dr. Moreau

“And therefore, — since I cannot prove a lover,To entertain these fair well-spoken days, —I am determined to prove a villain,And hate the idle pleasures of these days.”
        --Ricky, Duke of Gloucester ;  Ricky III

Mm. Not quite what I'm looking for, but thanks.
-- Bob
---------

"To the Commander, Confederation Jumptroopers:Sir:
Fuck you.  
We stand until the last man falls."
-- Lord Thomas Reserve Shamba (his forces outnumbered fifty to one), in the backstory to The Man Who Never Missed by Steve Perry

Rather more formal (and less obscene), but never published; still, it's got pragmatic duty and defense covered.  I based the phrasing of this on a family ritual in Andre Norton's Ralestone Luck:
"Soldiers of the Mark, how hold ye the Line?"
"So the Crown be just, so the Church be true, so hold we the line."
"Crown and Church alike may fall into hands unworthy, People rise in red revolt, Land be riven by war.  How then hold ye the Line?" 
"By fire and steel and bold hearts' blood, so then hold we the Line!"

Edit:  Arioch's mercy, I'm an imbecile.  Duty and defense?
Quote:These, in the day when Heaven was falling, 
The hour when Earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling,
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
-- "Epitaph On An Army of Mercenaries," A. E. Houseman
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I notice the B5 grey council oath is on this list but I didn't notice the ranger oath

We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One.

Mark

And before I close my B5 quote searches, these Ivanova quotes don't fit the theme but they are some of my favourite lines of the show.

Confirmed Survey 1. Upon arrival you will report for debriefing. And just one more thing, on your trip back I want you to take the time to learn the Babylon 5 mantra. Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again
Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! Babylon control out.
Civilians.
Just kidding about that God part. No offense.

Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you will ever see. God sent me.

Mark