Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doug's Musical Ability, in GURPS

Bob Schroeck Wrote:And of course, he can always use the V&V multiple attacks rule, but that doesn't have a GURPS equivalent.
GURPS does have various optional multi-attack rules in the Martial Arts supplement. Most of them require the Trained by a Master advantage, which I'd assume Doug has.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

No, Doug explicitly does not have Trained By A Master. It's mentioned early in DW5, in fact, that he has trained himself in hand-to-hand combat by copying the moves of people he's fought and making a patchwork crazyquilt style of his own out of them. He's never had any kind of formal combat training, at least not until he started on the Walk -- and that training is almost exclusively in melee weapons.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Fair enough. Without digging out his character sheet, I recall his carry cap is in the vicinity of 250 lbs.
Which gives him ST 16. ("Lifting capacity is proportional to the square of ST", according to page B14, and 16^2 = 256.) This is the easy number to calculate.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Ah, well, there's a rub... Doug is hyperintelligent -- 300 IQ (30 Int vs. 10 Int for a normal), along with a near-eidetic memory. He has a raft of mental disadvantages that take the edge off that, including impulsiveness, his tendency to leap to conclusions, and a few other things, but he is brilliant. He got through an Ivy League university by reading his textbooks once at the beginning of each semester.
Here we have to consult the body text and sidebar on page B15... which doesn't give as much help as one might think. Any score above 15 could be justified, depending on just which mental advantages Doug has. Just giving Doug a GURPS IQ of 30 isn't right, because "Intelligence broadly measures brainpower, including creativity, intuition, memory, perception, reason, sanity, and willpower." (Emphasis mine.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Which gives him ST 16. ("Lifting capacity is proportional to the square of ST", according to page B14, and 16^2 = 256.) This is the easy number to calculate.
Oddly, the lifting capacity rules from page B14 doesn't track to any of the encumbrance rules on page B17. According to the table, ST 16 lets you carry 51 lbs. without penalty and 510 lbs. at Extra-Heavy encumbrance. The number 256 appears nowhere on the table.

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Okay, combat initiative is based on Agility (or in the case of those with Heightened Speed, Agility + 1/10 of their ground speed bonus). Initiative is generated by rolling 1d10 and adding it to this base.
Doug has a 47 agility, the average normal has 10 (well, 10.5, but it rounds down). On an average combat round -- with a roll of 5 for both -- Doug will have an Initiative of 52, and the normal 15.
Highest initiative goes first, obviously. And for every 15 points of initiative, counting down, you get another action. So Doug would go on 52, then 37, then 22, then the normal would go on 15, and Doug again on 7. (There is no 0 action.)
This is a simplified case, of course, but you should get the idea. Yes, the normal could get 2 actions (acting on anywhere from 20 to 16, and again on 5 to 1, depending on the roll). But Doug would still act twice before they did, and win any ties where they both acted on the same phase.
And if he reserves one of his earlier actions, he could even interrupt the other person's action on a phase when he wouldn't normally be able to act. (He/I did that a lot. It's good to be fast in V&V.)
Does that help any?

That sounds like Shadowrun 1e, I never played any of the others, but that’s how the initiative worked for them. So, I think a level of Altered Time Rate, Combat Only (-20%) might be appropriate, or even Extra Attack. However, when Doug is fighting normal in GURPS, just the surprise rules might account for that.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, some do. When he shifts to a tiger, he gets a Claw/Claw/Bite/Rake attack sequence. And of course, he can always use the V&V multiple attacks rule, but that doesn't have a GURPS equivalent.

It might, now. There are scads of new options in 4e. All-Out-Attack (Double), Rapid Strike, and what have you.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:That's terribly subjective. Konya wa Hurricane certainly qualifies. Resurrection is pretty amazing (and no, it doesn't require two targets, it can affect up to two).

Can someone, please, point me to the chapter, so I can review it.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:To be absolutely honest, 75% or more of Doug's awesome is SFX that doesn't really have a game (or story) effect.

Oh, yes. I’m very familiar with that. I have a spectacular Hero GM and another Hero guru (Ghost-Raven. To the point that we’ve had games interrupted by Steve Long himself calling to get information from Ghost-Raven. The first time that happened, I had to be told who Steve Long was). The separation of SFX for Mechanics has become second-nature to me, now.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Fair enough. Without digging out his character sheet, I recall his carry cap is in the vicinity of 250 lbs.

robkelk Wrote:Which gives him ST 16. ("Lifting capacity is proportional to the square of ST", according to page B14, and 16^2 = 256.) This is the easy number to calculate.

It’s not quite that easy, Rob. That’s his ability to lift, not carry. A ST 12 is capable of carrying 290 lbs, and a ST 14 can carry 390. The question becomes, what can an average person, in V&V carry?
A ST 14 in GURPS has an X-Heavy of (as I said before) 390, but a heavy of 234. I think 14, or maybe even 13, might be ideal.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Ah, well, there's a rub... Doug is hyperintelligent -- 300 IQ (30 Int vs. 10 Int for a normal), along with a near-eidetic memory. He has a raft of mental disadvantages that take the edge off that, including impulsiveness, his tendency to leap to conclusions, and a few other things, but he is brilliant. He got through an Ivy League university by reading his textbooks once at the beginning of each semester.

robkelk Wrote:Here we have to consult the body text and sidebar on page B15... which doesn't give as much help as one might think. Any score above 15 could be justified, depending on just which mental advantages Doug has. Just giving Doug a GURPS IQ of 30 isn't right, because "Intelligence broadly measures brainpower, including creativity, intuition, memory, perception, reason, sanity, and willpower." (Emphasis mine.)

Doug and Rose will get along so well, he knows what it is to be trapped with the slow children.
I think Rob is right. I think we may be able to get away with an IQ of around 16 (which would cause his skills to be lowered because, well, he’s jumping to the wrong conclusion when he’s suffering penalties) and eidetic memory (but not full photographic, unless you think he needs it). We’d need to spike his Will (I think a 20-25 wouldn’t be out of the question).
Bob Schroeck Wrote:As for health, whatever works. Doug doesn't get sick, without his armor he could take several volleys of small arms fire with little effect, and he just keeps going when folks think he ought to drop (part of which is sheer cussedness, aka willpower, but still). However you want to quantify that.

Well, Health is about not getting sick and staying alive. Surviving several volleys of small arms fire, that’s going to be (my favorite supers advantage, and a requirement for my IST game) INJURY TOLERANCE: DAMAGE REDUCTION! Seriously people, if you’re playing supers and you’re not using that, I have to think that “yer doin’ it wrong!”
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, and I don't know if this helps, but have you seen his Fuzion writeup on my website?

*phone ringing*
Gummi (my Hero GM): Hello
Mark: Hey, Gummi, it’s Mark.
Gummi: Mark, how’s it going.
Mark: I’m fine; I have a question: You mentioned Fuzion a while ago . . ..
Gummi: **AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!**
Mark: I’m taking that response to move away from it like it’s radioactive?
Kat (Gummi’s Wife picks up the phone): What’s he screaming about? Did someone mention Fuzion to him?
Mark: Sorry, Kat. I did, I was trying to find out about it.
Kat: Well, now you know.
And knowing is half the battle. He may still be screaming for all I know.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:No, Doug explicitly does not have Trained By A Master. It's mentioned early in DW5, in fact, that he has trained himself in hand-to-hand combat by copying the moves of people he's fought and making a patchwork crazyquilt style of his own out of them. He's never had any kind of formal combat training, at least not until he started on the Walk -- and that training is almost exclusively in melee weapons.

That I remembered. There are ways around it. Usually Perks and, conveniently enough, super powers!

Quote:It might, now. There are scads of new options in 4e. All-Out-Attack (Double), Rapid Strike, and what have you.
The rule in question is very simple, and I don't think GURPS will allow for an equivalent. Basically, with a declaration of what he's doing, Doug can make as many attacks as he wants; however, he must make all the to-hit rolls, or he misses all the attacks. Doug has high enough "to-hit" bonuses that this is actually a usable tactic for him. (He makes reference to this, btw, in the fight in Quincy's office at the end of DW2, when he chain-lightnings the bodyguard boomers.)
Quote:Can someone, please, point me to the chapter, so I can review it.
It's the final scenes of http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/dw2-08.shtml]this chapter.
Quote:The question becomes, what can an average person, in V&V carry?
Carrying Capacity is defined as "the maximum amount of weight in pounds that a character can lift and remain standing", which makes it equivalent to Extra Heavy Encumbrance, I believe. The Carry Cap calculation is

[ (S/10)^3 + (E/10) ] * W/2

where S=Strength, E=Endurance, and W=Character's body weight in pounds

As an example, a perfectly average character (Str 10, End 10) weighing 150 lbs. can carry at most 82.5 lbs. (75 * 1.1).

Okay, digging out my character sheet, Doug has Str 12 and (Ack! I misremembered!) End 15, and a body weight of 165. That makes his Carry Cap 266 (rounded down), which means I have the wrong value written on my character sheet (I have 259 there).
Quote:he knows what it is to be trapped with the slow children.
One reason he likes the Warriors, most folks therein have Heightened Intelligence.
Quote:(but not full photographic, unless you think he needs it).
He doesn't, and it would violate story canon to give it to him.
Quote:We’d need to spike his Will (I think a 20-25 wouldn’t be out of the question).
I'd certainly be okay with that, and it fits with [REDACTED] from [REDACTED].
Quote:Surviving several volleys of small arms fire, that’s going to be (my favorite supers advantage, and a requirement for my IST game) INJURY TOLERANCE: DAMAGE REDUCTION!
Of course, in V&V, that's what we in the player group refer to as the "Heightened Hit Points" power.
Quote:There are ways around it. Usually Perks and, conveniently enough, super powers!
I think Doug does say at one point in that passage that being as fast as he is helps him cheat a lot on martial arts.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:The rule in question is very simple, and I don't think GURPS will allow for an equivalent. Basically, with a declaration of what he's doing, Doug can make as many attacks as he wants; however, he must make all the to-hit rolls, or he misses all the attacks. Doug has high enough "to-hit" bonuses that this is actually a usable tactic for him. (He makes reference to this, btw, in the fight in Quincy's office at the end of DW2, when he chain-lightnings the bodyguard boomers.)

That’s almost a Whirlwind Attack in 4e, but not quite.
Honestly, in GURPS, I’d just build that as a selective AoE attack. Mechanically, that’s all it really is. I’d have to eye-ball a price on “must make attack rolls for everyone under the AoE he wants to hit, and if any of them miss, they all do” (and I’d say that’s about a -20% limitation).  Or, I'd figure out what the percent-chance of him missing any of the attacks and base it off of accessibility.  It may only be a nuisance effect.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:It's the final scenes of this chapter.

All right, I was gaming all day, so, when I get some time, I’ll review it and see how much it might cost.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Carrying Capacity is defined as "the maximum amount of weight in pounds that a character can lift and remain standing", which makes it equivalent to Extra Heavy Encumbrance, I believe. The Carry Cap calculation is
math
Okay, digging out my character sheet, Doug has Str 12 and (Ack! I misremembered!) End 15, and a body weight of 165. That makes his Carry Cap 266 (rounded down), which means I have the wrong value written on my character sheet (I have 259 there).

That would give him a ST of 11-12 in GURPS. An 11 has a X-hvy of 240 and a 12 has 290. So, we round up. Welcome to ST 12, Doug.
Then I think an HT of 14 with Very Fit would be perfect for Doug.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:One reason he likes the Warriors, most folks therein have Heightened Intelligence.

Most Roses are too nice to say anything. But, yeah, talking to someone who is smart always makes them happy. Prime Rose always likes it when someone can make her feel like the child she’s supposed to be (it’s happened twice in seventeen years).
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Of course, in V&V, that's what we in the player group refer to as the "Heightened Hit Points" power.

Oh, yeah. ITBig GrinR is the greatest thing to hit supers.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I think Doug does say at one point in that passage that being as fast as he is helps him cheat a lot on martial arts.

That’s what super powers are for! Cheating on rules.
ETA:  A couple of secondary questions, as I hit post instead of preview.
Is Doug's inherent toughness part of his metagift (I presume so.)?
As his ST is only 12, which isn't very high for a scrapper, how much damage can he do with his fists?
How far can he safely jump in one go?
Attractive or Handsome?

Quote:Is Doug's inherent toughness part of his metagift (I presume so.)?
Not directly. It's mostly the SFX for his hit points, which are a calculated stat (involving 4 stats, 4 tables, and his body weight); weapons in V&V are weak -- a handgun does 1-4 points of damage, and Doug has 70 (IIRC) HP (a normal would have 3 to 4). The other part of his toughness is of course the Polykev, which (in V&V) is 30 points of Invulnerability (game mechanic: he can ignore the first 30 points of damage received in every combat round). Although I describe it as a little leotard-like thing, it really does protect his entire body (and his helmet is made from an even thicker layer of polykev).
Quote:As his ST is only 12, which isn't very high for a scrapper, how much damage can he do with his fists?
Quite a lot; he gets bonuses from his intelligence and agility, and from his martial arts -- IIRC he does 1d6 + 19 per punch. To scale that for you, in order to kill a normal you have to do 44 points of damage -- 4 for their HP and 40 for their power points (HP alone and they're in a coma and dying at a rate of 1 power point per minute). Doug can kill a normal outright with two punches (which is why he does half a Kill/punch in Fuzion...)
Quote:How far can he safely jump in one go?
Gah. I can't answer that one for you from work. I'll have to wait until I get home. And finding a copy of V&V won't help you, the physicists in the group rewrote the equation that calculates jump distance.

You might want to check the scene where the ADP investigates Doug's alley fight in the second chapter of DW2; I know there's a jump distance specified there, and I believe it's his maximum.
Quote:Attractive or Handsome?
I think I've had female characters refer to him as handsome, so sure, let's go with that.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Not directly. It's mostly the SFX for his hit points, which are a calculated stat (involving 4 stats, 4 tables, and his body weight); weapons in V&V are weak -- a handgun does 1-4 points of damage, and Doug has 70 (IIRC) HP (a normal would have 3 to 4). The other part of his toughness is of course the Polykev, which (in V&V) is 30 points of Invulnerability (game mechanic: he can ignore the first 30 points of damage received in every combat round). Although I describe it as a little leotard-like thing, it really does protect his entire body (and his helmet is made from an even thicker layer of polykev).

Um, wow. Well, at the moment, before this post, I had Doug pegged with 20 HP (8 being massless), and ITBig GrinR /5. A 9mm pistol (doing 2d+2 pi) would average 9 points of damage, which would round down to 1. A .45 ACP (2d pi+) would average 7, increased to 10, rounded down to 2. So, 14 shots from a 9mm would start to slow him down, or 7 from a .45 ACP. Looks like I should bump that up to ITBig GrinR /10 and give him some more massless HP, or some Ablative DR.
Does Doug Regenerate?
In GURPS we can probably make the Polykev a TL9 ultratech bodysuit. Call it a Heavy Reflex Bodysuit, that’ll weigh 9 lbs and provide DR 18/6* to all locations except his head.  And, maybe give him a point or two of personal DR, to deal with the flexibility issues the Reflex has.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Quite a lot; he gets bonuses from his intelligence and agility, and from his martial arts -- IIRC he does 1d6 + 19 per punch. To scale that for you, in order to kill a normal you have to do 44 points of damage -- 4 for their HP and 40 for their power points (HP alone and they're in a coma and dying at a rate of 1 power point per minute). Doug can kill a normal outright with two punches (which is why he does half a Kill/punch in Fuzion...)

Well, in GURPS, to kill a normal person outright, you have to do 60 points of damage (reduce them to -5 × HP). So, an attack would have to average 30 points of damage to be, roughly the same damage. That comes out to 8.5 dice. We’ll call it 9, for simplicity sake. Honestly, that ain’t much. The damage cap for my IST game is 35d. But, let’s be honest, this isn’t Doug’s main ability, so 9d is probably sufficient.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Gah. I can't answer that one for you from work. I'll have to wait until I get home. And finding a copy of V&V won't help you, the physicists in the group rewrote the equation that calculates jump distance.

I understand that.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:You might want to check the scene where the ADP investigates Doug's alley fight in the second chapter of DW2; I know there's a jump distance specified there, and I believe it's his maximum.

I think it said 10 meters, but I could be wrong. I remembered that, which is why I was asking. Nope, chapter two says “As far as I can figure, our perp made a seven-meter running broad jump here.” Um, wow, with his Basic Speed of 10, he has a standing broad jump of 5.67 yards. Running, it’s 11.33 yards. Even if I don’t bump up his Basic Speed, and leave it at 8.5, that gives him a running broad jump of 8.67 yards. I think I’m going to stay with the BS of 10 as Doug may not have had the full area to get himself to full speed before he jumped. And 7m isn’t enough to win Olympic medals anymore.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I think I've had female characters refer to him as handsome, so sure, let's go with that.

Handsome it is, then.

Mark Skarr Wrote:In GURPS we can probably make the Polykev a TL9 ultratech bodysuit. Call it a Heavy Reflex Bodysuit, that’ll weigh 9 lbs and provide DR 18/6* to all locations except his head.  And, maybe give him a point or two of personal DR, to deal with the flexibility issues the Reflex has.

Well, in GURPS, to kill a normal person outright, you have to do 60 points of damage (reduce them to -5 × HP). So, an attack would have to average 30 points of damage to be, roughly the same damage. That comes out to 8.5 dice. We’ll call it 9, for simplicity sake. Honestly, that ain’t much. The damage cap for my IST game is 35d. But, let’s be honest, this isn’t Doug’s main ability, so 9d is probably sufficient.
Don't forget that Polykev is science backed by magic. Start with the TL9 suit, then add a bit more DR for the magic reinforcement.
Also, -5 x HP is merely the point of instant death. Once you're at -1 x HP, you start rolling HT vs. death every time you take a hit. Given that the average bystander has an HT of 10, I believe there is a roughly 50% chance that they'll make the roll, a 25% chance that they'll take a 'mortal wound' which will likely kill them eventually, and a 25% chance that they die immediately.
Since this means that Doug only needs to do 20 points of damage to risk killing an average thug, and Doug knows that he can kill a thug with two hits, he only has to do 10 damage per hit. Between his ST 12 and Karate skill at DX+2 or above, he already does seven damage on a good hit. Since he seems to use reinforced gauntlets to up his damage, I suggest letting the gauntlets pump his damage by one or two dice and give them the appropriate equipment modifiers (1=min. 3, avg. 8, max. 13; 2=min. 4, avg. 11.5, max. 19).

Quote:Does Doug Regenerate?
No. At least not without using a song. He has a fairly standard healing rate, which is one HP and chance of a second per day.

Which is why he's in the habit of using "I'm Alive" or a similar song after every combat.
Quote:In GURPS we can probably make the Polykev a TL9 ultratech bodysuit. Call it a Heavy Reflex Bodysuit, that’ll weigh 9 lbs and provide DR 18/6* to all locations except his head.
As Shepherd notes, it's not just tech. And as Lisa determines when she investigates Doug's armoire, its material is about the weight and thickness of Spandex. Among the GURPS enchantments that ought to be on it, there should be a lot of weight reduction.
Quote:“As far as I can figure, our perp made a seven-meter running broad jump here.”
Best as I can recall, that's his maximum jump distance, but when I get home I'll double-check.
Quote: Since he seems to use reinforced gauntlets to up his damage,
No, he doesn't. He uses armored gloves to protect his hands from the damage he can do with them -- he doesn't have any "natural" DR, and is quite capable of reducing his hands to hamburger on hard targets. And since a lot of the Warriors' enemies were hard targets...
-- Bob
---------

Back home. It wasn't the jumping calculation that got rewritten, but the throwing things rule, which is right next to it. Working through the numbers, Doug can leap 21.44 feet in a running jump, half that in a standing jump, 1/4 of that straight up. And 21 feet is very roughly 7 meters, so I was remembering correctly.
-- Bob
---------

Shepherd Wrote:Don't forget that Polykev is science backed by magic. Start with the TL9 suit, then add a bit more DR for the magic reinforcement.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:As Shepherd notes, it's not just tech. And as Lisa determines when she investigates Doug's armoire, its material is about the weight and thickness of Spandex. Among the GURPS enchantments that ought to be on it, there should be a lot of weight reduction.

Well, at that point, it becomes a gadget. DR 20, doesn’t protect the head, gadget, magical. Yeah, comes to 50 points. That’s fine.
Shepherd Wrote:Also, -5 x HP is merely the point of instant death. Once you're at -1 x HP, you start rolling HT vs. death every time you take a hit. Given that the average bystander has an HT of 10, I believe there is a roughly 50% chance that they'll make the roll, a 25% chance that they'll take a 'mortal wound' which will likely kill them eventually, and a 25% chance that they die immediately.
Since this means that Doug only needs to do 20 points of damage to risk killing an average thug, and Doug knows that he can kill a thug with two hits, he only has to do 10 damage per hit. Between his ST 12 and Karate skill at DX+2 or above, he already does seven damage on a good hit. Since he seems to use reinforced gauntlets to up his damage, I suggest letting the gauntlets pump his damage by one or two dice and give them the appropriate equipment modifiers (1=min. 3, avg. 8, max. 13; 2=min. 4, avg. 11.5, max. 19).

However, if Doug kills someone with two hits, by totally eliminating all of the HP and PP in two hits, then he needs to take them to -5 × HP in two hits. So, a 9d attack works better. Per the information from V&V he does significantly more damage than a handgun (9 times as much) . If he’s just working off of karate damage, he’s not going to be able to annoy a super. 19 points of damage isn’t enough to even make someone notice him. It’s not enough to be guaranteed of killing someone in two blows. That’s roughly as strong as an M-16. Which, for normals, is not to be sneezed at, but for supers is more of a gentle caress than an actual attack.
And keep in mind, an “average thug” in supers is going to be tougher than an “average thug” in a normal game. In Supers, I’d peg them at ST 12 and HT 11.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:No. At least not without using a song. He has a fairly standard healing rate, which is one HP and chance of a second per day.
Which is why he's in the habit of using "I'm Alive" or a similar song after every combat.

Okay. Just checking. So, no ablative DR, then.
With ITBig GrinR /10 and 30 HP, Doug can take about 20 hits from most small arms (even assault rifles) before getting slowed down. With DR 20 polykev, he’s able to safely ignore anyone with a pistol and even most people with assault rifles. That level of defense would survive a lot of enemies in my IST game.  And, with a HT 14 and Very Fit, he is pretty much going to be able to take an insane amount of damage before being brought down.  To be gaurenteed of killing him in one shot, he'd need to be hit with 1,520 points of damage (more than a tank gun does; you're looking at a 73d × 6 attack!).  And, it's likely that, no matter what, he'll have to be taken to -5 × HP to take him down.  He's a Chumbawumba song. 
Or a Weeble. 
Your choice.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Back home. It wasn't the jumping calculation that got rewritten, but the throwing things rule, which is right next to it. Working through the numbers, Doug can leap 21.44 feet in a running jump, half that in a standing jump, 1/4 of that straight up. And 21 feet is very roughly 7 meters, so I was remembering correctly.

Egads, that’s short compared to what he can do in GURPS. Leaving his BS an 8.5, I’d have to lower his Move to 7 (which is still fast for a human) to get him a standing broad jump of 11 feet, a running broad jump of 22 feet. He can only jump 2.67 feet straight up, though from a dead stop. But, if you’re okay with that, I can make that change. I’ll bump his BS to 9 and give him a Move 7.

Quote:If he’s just working off of karate damage, he’s not going to be able to annoy a super.
Different game systems have different results -- Doug's hand-to-hand in V&V compares favorably (very favorably, in fact) to off-the-shelf Energy Blasts (1d20), Lightning Bolts (2d8) and most other "typical" power attacks. (Mind you, if the owners of those attacks have Int and/or Agility over 10, they're also getting to hit and damage bonuses, so "live fire" totals are going to be different from the basic descriptions.) Also, actual damage-stopping ability in V&V is surprisingly rare -- Invulnerability, as noted above, and Armor, which is ablative (# points of armor left = % chance that the armor will intercept the damage, and be reduced by it) -- along with the mechanism for "rolling with" a hit (which swaps PP damage for HP damage) are the only ways to reduce incoming damage. The way V&V handles combat, Doug can literally pound his way through any armor -- not exactly the "gentle caress" you mention above.
Quote:To be gaurenteed of killing him in one shot, he'd need to be hit with 1,520 points of damage (more than a tank gun does; you're looking at a 73d × 6 attack!). And, it's likely that, no matter what, he'll have to be taken to -5 × HP to take him down.
And that's not even factoring in his field, which will tend to keep him from getting hit in the first place.

And if you think that's bad... Silverbolt has something like 130 points of armor and over 250 hp, IIRC; I don't even want to think about what would be needed to take out a real GURPS version of her. (As opposed to Argurous Astraph, who was merely inspired by her and built to fit the IST setting.)
Quote:He's a Chumbawumba song.
So just imagine what happens when he uses that song, as he did (mostly off-screen) in DW2...
Quote:Egads, that's short compared to what he can do in GURPS.
Again, different game systems, different mechanics. V&V bases jump distance off of Carrying Capacity, oddly enough, where GURPS does it off of Basic Speed; of course we're going to get two different results.

V&V 2E is a late-first-generation RPG, one of the first where the character stats were used to directly calculate other abilities and quantities. Some of those calculations are clearly dodgy, and a few are obviously pulled out of a hat. But it still does what it does very well, which is produce the feel of 4-color comics in a roleplaying setting.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Different game systems have different results -- Doug's hand-to-hand in V&V compares favorably (very favorably, in fact) to off-the-shelf Energy Blasts (1d20), Lightning Bolts (2d8) and most other "typical" power attacks. (Mind you, if the owners of those attacks have Int and/or Agility over 10, they're also getting to hit and damage bonuses, so "live fire" totals are going to be different from the basic descriptions.) Also, actual damage-stopping ability in V&V is surprisingly rare -- Invulnerability, as noted above, and Armor, which is ablative (# points of armor left = % chance that the armor will intercept the damage, and be reduced by it) -- along with the mechanism for "rolling with" a hit (which swaps PP damage for HP damage) are the only ways to reduce incoming damage. The way V&V handles combat, Doug can literally pound his way through any armor -- not exactly the "gentle caress" you mention above.

That’s actually my point, Bob: different system. We shouldn’t be looking at low-end examples, we should be looking at what he can do against the targets he was playing against. Karate, in GURPS is fine for normals, but not metahumans (unless you’re using some of David Pulver’s rules from Pyramid 3-34 and you have a butt-load of ST, and maybe some Imbuements).
A 9d attack should be sufficient for him to beat up most low-level enemies. Tack a couple levels of Armor Divisor on there, and it becomes a credible attack against most targets. Add in some AoE, Rapid Fire and a partridge in a pear tree, and he becomes an area-denial scrapper. Douglas Quincy Sangnoir: Traffic Obstruction?
How far can Doug move when making his “I punch everyone and their grandmother” attacks in V&V?  Also, would that count as an All-Out Attack for him?
Bob Schroeck Wrote:And that's not even factoring in his field, which will tend to keep him from getting hit in the first place.

I’ve got that built as an 8-level obscure against being targeted (there’s not really any other way to have a passive to-hit penalty in GURPS). Both Defensive (it doesn’t affect him) and Stealthy (targets can’t see it). He’s also got +5 Enhanced Dodge and Combat Reflexes, giving him a Dodge of 18 (I gave him a Basic Speed of 9, and -2 Basic Move for a 7).
So, unless it’s a cosmic-style attack, or an AoE, he’s pretty much golden.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:And if you think that's bad... Silverbolt has something like 130 points of armor and over 250 hp, IIRC; I don't even want to think about what would be needed to take out a real GURPS version of her. (As opposed to Argurous Astraph, who was merely inspired by her and built to fit the IST setting.)

Nah, I’ve made characters so broken, I’ve had to put them in a vault and never talk about them again. Pink’s one of the few that got to come back out.
However, speaking of the Ablative Armor from V&V, how fast does it recover? That alone might make it less effective in GURPS than it first appears.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:So just imagine what happens when he uses that song, as he did (mostly off-screen) in DW2...

I just want to know what happens to him when he hears the Weebles song. ;-P
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Again, different game systems, different mechanics. V&V bases jump distance off of Carrying Capacity, oddly enough, where GURPS does it off of Basic Speed; of course we're going to get two different results.

I can base it off of his ST, but then it’s like a foot-and-a-half.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:V&V 2E is a late-first-generation RPG, one of the first where the character stats were used to directly calculate other abilities and quantities. Some of those calculations are clearly dodgy, and a few are obviously pulled out of a hat. But it still does what it does very well, which is produce the feel of 4-color comics in a roleplaying setting.

Oh, I get that. Which is why I’m trying to get what he could do in V&V, and build the result in GURPS. GURPS is nice that it will let me do it that way.

Quote:How far can Doug move when making his “I punch everyone and their grandmother” attacks in V&V? Also, would that count as an All-Out Attack for him?
Heh. And now we come to another feature of V&V that I love to exploit -- the movement rules.
Doug has a movement rate (on foot) equal to his STR+END+AGI, which is 74 inches (1 inch = 5 scale feet) per 15-second combat round. Doug can portion that out any way he wants over the round -- spend it evenly across all 15 seconds, or spend all his movement in one phase. (Which he does a couple times in DW2, most notably the first time he comes face-to-face with Priss: he maxes his movement to get the hell away from her.) That gives him a "low" end of 16.8 MPH, and a burst of... um. 370 (74 * 5) feet in one second is... Huh. 252 MPH.
That doesn't look right, I could have sworn it was about a third of that, but I just did the math three times, three different ways. (Now, just imagine the burst modes for the speedsters, whose "low end" movement is already in the hundreds of MPH...)
So basically, to answer your question, if he wants to blow all his movement for 15 seconds, about 1-1/4 American football fields. And yeah, given the all-or-nothing aspect of the rule, definitely it's all-out.
Quote:I’ve got that built as an 8-level obscure against being targeted
Is that effective against psi and other unorthodox attacks, too?
Quote:However, speaking of the Ablative Armor from V&V, how fast does it recover? That alone might make it less effective in GURPS than it first appears.
For those with "natural" armor, ie, not built, it heals at the same rate as HP. But healing powers also regenerate armor.
Quote:I just want to know what happens to him when he hears the Weebles song. ;-P
Well, since I said "Tubthumping" makes him act like a Weeble, I suppose it should make him act like a Chumbawumba. Whatever that is.
Quote:Oh, I get that. Which is why I’m trying to get what he could do in V&V, and build the result in GURPS. GURPS is nice that it will let me do it that way.
You don't have to tell me.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:So basically, to answer your question, if he wants to blow all his movement for 15 seconds, about 1-1/4 American football fields. And yeah, given the all-or-nothing aspect of the rule, definitely it's all-out.

Aha! That’s another one. He has 15× as long to do things in GURPS. So, if we break his movement down from 125 yards in 15 seconds he moves 8.33 yards a second . . . that almost corresponds with his move of 7, and is scary-close for his DX 20/HT 14 generic BS of 8.5. (Oooooooh, I have goosebumps).
Damn, I’m good.
And modest.
I’ll look at rebuilding his attack as it probably won’t need RoF since he can pull it off 15 times in GURPS in the same amount of time. And an AE of 8 yards is probably good.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Is that effective against psi and other unorthodox attacks, too?

It’s effective against anything that targets him, or his immediate vicinity.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:For those with "natural" armor, ie, not built, it heals at the same rate as HP. But healing powers also regenerate armor.

Not 100% sure I understand the ramifications.
So, Doug’s PolyKev, provides 30 points of ablative armor in V&V?
And, it regenerates at 1+1 points per day?
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Well, since I said "Tubthumping" makes him act like a Weeble, I suppose it should make him act like a Chumbawumba. Whatever that is.

It’s a chupacabra, sir!

Quote:Not 100% sure I understand the ramifications.
Armor comes in two varieties: Suits you put on like Iron Man, and thick skin/plates/scales/what have you that are actually part of your body. Device armor has to be repaired (I don't remember the rules for that off the top of my head) while natural armor has to be healed.
Quote:So, Doug’s PolyKev, provides 30 points of ablative armor in V&V?

And, it regenerates at 1+1 points per day?
No, Doug's polykev is a V&V Invulnerability device, which is different from Armor. Armor is ablative, and affects all attacks (theoretically). Invulnerability simply lets the character ignore the first X points of damage he takes in a combat round.

Quick'n'dirty example to make it clearer:

Consider two supers: Captain Armor and Mr. Invulnerable. Captain Armor has 100 points of armor. Mr. I has 25 points of Invulnerability.

During the course of one combat round, they are both hit with 6 attacks doing 10 points each. Neither rolls with the damage.

Mr. I ignores the first two hits, and takes five points off the damage he receives from the third. The rest affect him normally. He takes 45 35 points of damage.  (Edit: Stupid math error!)

When the first of the six attacks hits, Captain Armor rolls % dice against the current rating of his armor. As his armor is currently at 100 points, he succeeds; instead of taking 10 HP off, the damage instead is applied to his armor, reducing it to 90. Repeat through all the attacks. Most of the time, he'll actually take about 21 points of damage while the armor suffers 39 points.

Does that help?
Quote:It’s a chupacabra, sir!
Or the pikachupacabra, the dread electric goat-sucker of the Amazon!
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Does that help?

Yep, now I get it. My first Supers RPG was the old Marvel FASERIP system; I never had a chance to get into V&V. And my personal expert is at a wedding in Georgia.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Or the pikachupacabra, the dread electric goat-sucker of the Amazon!

That just doesn’t roll off the tongue as well:
“I choose you, pikachupacabra!”
I mean, the fight could be over by then, and you might be a corpse . . ..
Funny as Hell, though.
Back to the job at hand.
I’m working on an ability that lets him not get smacked around by AoE attacks as well, but that’s still on the drawing board. So, by the time we’re done, he really only has to worry about people with Cosmic.
I’m strongly considering making his Mage Sight Hyperspectral vision with “Magic” as its special effect. So, he sees things in the spectrum of magic. Odd, but then this is Doug we’re talking about.
Anything else, advantage wise, I need to be aware of?
I’ll also need you, Bob, when you have time, to help me put together a disadvantage and skill list for him. Oh, and I sent you an e-mail.

Quote:Anything else, advantage wise, I need to be aware of?
The Fuzion sheet has a set that correspond reasonably well to GURPS, if you haven't already consulted it. I'll try to think about what might not be obvious some time tonight, but Helen's coming over and we might end up talking DW13 and not Warriors in general.
Quote:I’ll also need you, Bob, when you have time, to help me put together a disadvantage and skill list for him.
Again, start with the Fuzion sheet, and we'll work from there.
Quote:Oh, and I sent you an e-mail.
I'll check it out when I get home. I also owe you a reply to the one you sent me through Yuku -- I didn't have time to respond to it when I first read it, and have been forgetting about it since.
-- Bob
---------
Info Dump
Bob Schroeck Wrote:The Fuzion sheet has a set that correspond reasonably well to GURPS, if you haven't already consulted it. I'll try to think about what might not be obvious some time tonight, but Helen's coming over and we might end up talking DW13 and not Warriors in general.

I think my Hero GM may be on his way over to stage an intervention, but I’ll pull it up to look . . ..
SPD 6 . . . really?!  I would have pegged him at a 9.
Stubborn, no problem.
Code of Honor . . . what’s it cover? I’ve read parts of DW2 (not a fan of the original BGC, so it’s harder for me to concentrate on), 5 and 13, but really, it comes across as a Soldiers CoH, which is -10 points.
Overconfident, again, no problem, other than does he resist on a 6- or 9- (for -10 or -7 points respectively)
Protective of Innocents, I originally thought to make this Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents), but that’s not really how Doug acts. “You never intentionally do anything that causes, or even threatens to cause, injury to the uninvolved – particularly if they are “ordinary folks.”” So, I went with a SoD: Innocents for -10 points.
In Love with Shadowwalker (Maggie), yeah, I wish that was worth more than a quirk in GURPS. It’s not a secret, it might count as a Dependent/Ally in Warriors World, but, in general, not so much . . ..
Sense of Duty . . . what is this for? All it says is Sense of Duty.
Various minor annoyances . . . again, probably just quirks.
Public Figure, easy enough, but on the Walk, not so much.
Outsider, that’s arguably a social stigma, but, that varies by world he visits. So, in GURPS he wouldn’t get any points for it.
Secret Identity, he could also pull off a Secret as well. But, he would also need Zeroed, as he has no information in the system yet.
A few that aren’t on the Fuzion sheet, but he may have:
Curious
Destiny (perhaps both, maybe neither)
Duty (In Warrior’s World)
Honesty (probably at a 12- or even a 15-; he doesn’t want to break local laws, and he acts as if his laws are in effect when he doesn’t know any better)
Impulsiveness (probably resisted at a 6-)
Selfless
Xenophilia
All righty . . . huge question about his Infinite Improbability Field . . . er, drop the infinite: How do you want it to work? I can keep the Obscure, which gives them a -8 to hit him or his immediate vicinity (it’s a 2yd radius surrounding him, so if they try to bypass it by striking an AoE next to him, or at his feet, it still suffers the to-hit penalty). I also gave him a +8 resistance to Maledictions because they don’t roll to hit, it’s just a resistance roll. However, none of that applies to AoEs. (On the other hand, a -8 in GURPS is a huge penalty; it takes a normal person with a skill 10 from a 50% chance to hit, to a 0%.)
ETA:  I may change the resistance to "Attacks that Don't roll to hit" in general.
I can also build a version of Reflexive Insubstantial, that works against Magic, Psi and Maledictions, on an activation roll. Meaning that if he makes the activation roll, they miss. That would cover everything. It would also be stupid-expensive. Plus, it would be vulnerable to attacks with “Affects Insubstantial.”
His, current, GURPS advantage list:
English (Native)
French (Native)
Japanese (Native)
Metagifts—
-Crushing Attack 9
-Damage Resistance 20 (Polykev)
-Enhanced Dodge +5
-Extra Attack 1
-Extra Hit Points +18
-Hyperspectral Vision
-Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction /10)
-Morph +1,000 pts (for the moment)
-Musical Power Talent 4
-Obscure (Targeting) 8
-Resistant to Maledictions +8
Mundane—
-Ambidexterity
-Appearance (Handsome)
-Combat Reflexes
-High Pain Threshold
-Rapid Healing
-Very Fit
-Zeroed
Valdemaran (Native)
His current GURPS skill list
Acrobatics
Acting
Axe/Mace
Broadsword
Computer Hacking
Computer Operation
Computer Programming
Current Affairs (US/UK Pop Music)
Disguise (Human)
Driving (Motorcycle)
Electronics Operation (EW)
Electronics Repair (Computers)
Engineer (Electrical)
Expert Skill (Computer Security)
Expert Skill (Movies and TV)
Flail
Forensics
Gambling
Guns (Pistol; it’s all he needs, he has a very favorable default with that DX of 20)
Innate Attack (all 4)
Judo
Karate
Knife
Law (International Law)
Leadership
Mathematics (Applied)
Performance
Research
Search
Shortsword
Stealth
Sumo Wrestling
Swimming
Thaumatology
Two-Handed Axe/Mace; Flail and Sword
Wrestling

Mark Skarr Wrote:In Love with Shadowwalker (Maggie), yeah, I wish that was worth more than a quirk in GURPS. It’s not a secret, it might count as a Dependent/Ally in Warriors World, but, in general, not so much . . .. 
Nope. Since she's a fellow PC, I'm pretty sure that he can't specifically take her as a Dependent, Ally or anything like that. Fellow party members are like having the Ally advantage for free, and would likely be too powerful to realistically count as Dependents anyway.

Shepherd Wrote:Nope. Since she's a fellow PC, I'm pretty sure that he can't specifically take her as a Dependent, Ally or anything like that. Fellow party members are like having the Ally advantage for free, and would likely be too powerful to realistically count as Dependents anyway.
Yeah, good point.  Most of my PCs, like Doug, would be made for a specific story, so they might have other characters as a Dependent/Ally or some such.  Just totally spaced that.
Oh, and another advantage that was totally "DURH!"
Unaging.
DURH!

[Sorry for the late response, Helen was over last night and I didn't get much of a chance to reply to anything or anyone.

I'll have to go over the lists in detail, but it looks good on first glance. Some quick thoughts:

First, when in the Walk do you want this sheet to represent? The Fuzion version is explicitly the start of DW2; yours doesn't have to be. And regardless of what Doug thinks in DW13, he has learned things during his journeys.

Second, TL skills from Warriors' World should mostly be TL9, especially anything involving computers and robotics, where it's almost TL10.

While on that topic, I was considering Computers!/TL9 and Robotics!/TL9 for him.

Sumo wrestling? Really?

Cultural Familiarities: United States (Warriors' World), UK (Warriors's World) (Both rather high), Japan (Warriors World) (Somewhat lower, more than a tourist, far less than a resident), Japan (all other universes, sort of averaged together) (same level as WW Japan)

Other skills: Katana, Alchemy, Teaching (very important), Pilot (Motorcycle), Mechanic (average skill, enough to make basic repairs to the bike), any engineering skills specific to Cybernetics and Robotics. Tactics and Strategy. Military Savoir-faire.

After DW12, Singing, Mechanic (Steampunk), Engineer (Steampunk).

Incompetence: Surfing. (No, he can't figure it out either.)

Okay, away from skills:

Advantages:

What you've got looks good. Shadowwalker, if anything, would be closer to a Patron; almost all the female Warriors are more powerful than Doug.

Speaking of Patrons, the Warriors and the UN, either separately or collectively, in WW.

Military Rank (Courtesy rank) (Seems to be accepted everywhere -- at least no one's refused to call him "Colonel".)

Filthy Rich (WW and the Kaleido*Star worlds only, with associated status)

And I'm afraid I'm out of time and need to stop there right now. I have a file of notes I made yesterday at lunch, but I left it home today. I'll consult it when I get home tonight and see what if anything I need to add to this.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:While on that topic, I was considering Computers!/TL9 and Robotics!/TL9 for him.
If he didn't have them before his Fenspace stopover, he would have picked them up quickly afterward. Eimi's a handwavium AI, not a god-built AI - some of her parts will eventually break, and Doug's often the only person around to repair her.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012