Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotes for Grabs
RE: Quotes for Grabs
Some quotes to share:

“Liken the soldier to a carpenter. The latter sharpens his tools with his own hands, prepares the various instruments of his trade, keeps them in his carpenter’s box, receives the master carpenter’s instructions, shapes the pillars and beams with his adze, shaves the alcove and shelving with his plane, is accurate in spacing and carving, ascertains correct measurements and performs his duties well, down to the smallest detail. Doing this, he will later become a master carpenter himself. It is essential that the carpenter’s aim be to carry equipment that will cut well and, when he has time, to sharpen that equipment. That he is an expert at taking that equipment and using it to make bookshelves, desks, and even lamps, and cutting boards and pot lids is the specialty of the carpenter. A man who is a soldier is like this. He should examine these similarities carefully. For a carpenter to achieve his aim, it is essential that his work not be uneven, that the corners fit perfectly, that the wood be well shaved with his plane, that he not polish or hone too far and that he produce work that will not twist or warp later on. If you think you would study this Way, you should be mindful of everything written here and you should examine it carefully.”

Musashi, Miyamoto; Wilson, William Scott. The Book of Five Rings (The Way of the Warrior Series) (Kindle Locations 355-363). Oxford University Press. Kindle Edition.
====================================

“Frankly, our philosophy is that the best battles are those where the enemy gives up before any shots have to be fired at all.”

--Baron Soontir Fel, Star Wars: Survivor’s Quest by Timothy Zahn

None of us gets to choose which talents and abilities we are born with. Our only choice is whether we take those gifts and use them to live and grow and serve, or whether we bury them in the ground and try to pretend they were never there.

--Jinzler, Star Wars: Survivor’s Quest by Timothy Zahn

“Discipline is freedom, and the companion to imagination. Discipline makes it possible for you to become whatever you want to be.”

--On the Warrior’s Path, Daniele Bolelli

“The Warrior is not afraid of being afraid. He accepts it, looks it in the eyes, and challenges it. Refusing to be a hostage in the hands of one’s fears is the act of a Warrior.”

--On the Warrior’s Path, Daniele Bolelli

“In this life you’re often born one thing and die another. You don’t have to accept that what you are given when you come in is all you’ll have when you leave.”

--Old pilot to Anakin Skywalker, The Phantom Menace.

“Greed can be a powerful ally, if it’s used properly.”

--Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

“Until the possible becomes actual, it is only a distraction. Be mindful of what is, not what might be.”

--Obi-Wan Kenobi, Revenge of the Sith

“First Jedi principle of combat: survive.”

--Anakin Sywalker, Revenge of the Sith

“Of what use is power unstructured by discipline?

--Count Dooku, Revenge of the Sith

The greatest danger from the darkness outside came when the Jedi fed it with the darkness within.

--Revenge of the Sith

“The flaw of power is arrogance.”

--Obi-Wan Kenobi to Anakin Skywalker, Revenge of the Sith

“The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins—but in the heart of its strength lies weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.

Love is more than a candle.

Love can ignite the stars.”

--Matthew Stover, Revenge of the Sith

===========================================

“Wizards and computers get along about as well as flamethrowers and libraries.”

--Harry Dresden, The Dresden Files
============================================

“Thwart,” I said. “To prevent someone from accomplishing something by means of visiting gratuitous violence upon his smarmy person.”

============================================

“But they were not attacking a rabbit. They were attacking a wabbit. A wascally wabbit. A wascally wabbit with a Winchester.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
I can't remember exactly where I found it or how the quote was exactly worded, but it was something like this:

"AS? What's that?"

"Artificial Stupidity. We tried Artificial Intelligence for a while, but it never worked out - we couldn't find a natural example to base it on."
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
"Monotheism fails the logic test.  The universe is too fouled up, in too many ways, to be the work of ONE god.  It MUST have been created by a committee."
— The phrasing is original to me, but I'm sure someone out there has already realized this.

"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper
(10-16-2017, 12:05 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: I can't remember exactly where I found it or how the quote was exactly worded, but it was something like this:

"AS? What's that?"

"Artificial Stupidity. We tried Artificial Intelligence for a while, but it never worked out - we couldn't find a natural example to base it on."

I'm sure many people have come up with the concept independently, but one possible source is Undocumented Features CORE 1, the original story titled simply "Undocumented Features". The man page for CLUELESS, the program responsible for bringing Kei, Yuri, Eve, and Largo to life, asserts that all attempts at human-like Artificial Intelligence have failed because no example of human-like natural intelligence exists.