Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC][Sailor Moon][SI] The Final Dream
RE: [RFC][Sailor Moon][SI] The Final Dream
(goes and looks at the PDF)

Hmmmmm...

The page size implies you want to be able to print this as a bound "pocket" book. That's a style choice, and it's a good one for fiction.

The font - 15 point Palatino - is something I expect to see in an "easy read" book. The vocabulary is at a higher comprehension level than that. You've got a style mismatch there. Maybe 12 point or 10 point size might be better.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Well, this is mostly the default settings of Scrivener's 'compile' function where it generates a document based on what format you want it to be in and what parts of the story you want complied.

The only adjustment I made was to make the margins .5 inches instead of 1 inch. You can imagine how bad it looked then.

For the next compilation I'll change up the font and the size.
I'll upload something in the "There's Nothing Better" board, to show you a possible alternate.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I still wanna do the paperback novel look, though. Lemme play with it a bit and we'll see.
(10-02-2017, 11:18 AM)robkelk Wrote: The font - 15 point Palatino - is something I expect to see in an "easy read" book. The vocabulary is at a higher comprehension level than that. You've got a style mismatch there. Maybe 12 point or 10 point size might be better.

Or a large print book for elderly people with bad eyes (waves).
Oh!

Alright, I'll keep the original as a 'High Visibility' option. Be kinda cool, though, if you could setup a PDF or an EPUB with a toggle for that sort of thing. :p
The PDF's font size is good for reading on a Kindle or tablet etc., but on the large side for displays with more real estate to offer. I'm not sure what file formats the site will accept as attachments, but if it's possible .epub might work better for the purpose of providing a simplified version of the content, while still allowing for some styling and for the user to select the font size that suits their device and preference.

edit: At least, I think you can? And the way the thread page buttons highlight keeps confusing me, so I thought I was already on the second page of the thread and didn't see the more recent comments before posting this.
--
‎noli esse culus
Well, for simplicity's sake I'll just leave the formatting of the PDFs as they are for now, and worry about this only once I'm ready to push out Volume 1.
(10-06-2017, 05:54 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: I'm not sure what file formats the site will accept as attachments, but if it's possible .epub might work better

Epub wasn't a defined attachment type, but I've just added it, with a max size of 8Mb (and I've boosted the max allowed size of a PDF to 8Mb, too).  It doesn't have a dedicated icon yet, but I'll add one when I get home tonight.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Cool, thanks Bob.

BA, sounds like a decent plan to me!
You're welcome. And I just uploaded and assigned the icon a minute ago.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay folks!  Here we are, new material to fill things in and extend the timeline a bit so Benjamin's emotional metldown and subsequent acceptance as adoptive family feels more realistic.

Please critique.  I need to know how well this works and not just that it works.

Just the file attachment this time since I honestly don't feel like putting that many extra line breaks right now. (x_x)

It's the same name as last time, so you can just go ahead and overwrite the previous one or just rename it if you want to keep the iterations of the WIP.

.pdf   Part.pdf (Size: 128.5 KB / Downloads: 14)
In the scene where Kaori and Rei meet, Kaori comes across as being accustomed to having her orders followed without question. I'd think that she's ex-military, except that you've established she isn't old enough to be a veteran. Also, I'm surprised that Rei didn't complain, or at least show some annoyance, considering her own canon family history. The scene strikes a bit of a false chord to me because of that.

p. 22: Who is Naoko?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Gyah. Thanks for that catch, Rob. That was supposed to be Kaori. I don't know why I did that - probably because I was sleep deprived at the time.

As for why Rei is so compliant towards Kaori.... I'll have to look into that scene a bit more and get back to you on that.
Okay, I think I see what's going on. I had thought that Benjamin had told the girls about life at the academy, so once Kaori had been properly introduced and gotten the feel of the situation, Rei would have realized Kaori is being polite about it, but she is no doubt in full-blown Mama Bear mode.

Plus the fact that Kaori is sending her status as Rei's elder by bringing Nanami - signifying she's not only married, but starting a family of her own. This places Kaori WAAAYYY ahead of Rei in Japan's social pecking order.

If I make that more clear then would that work?
That would work, yes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, fixed the name issue, and I got the reworked bit here.  I've also got an updated version of the PDF here as well.

.pdf   Part.pdf (Size: 131.16 KB / Downloads: 6)

Quote:Rei immediately got the sense that this was not going to be a social call.

“Hino-sempai!” said Benjamin enthusiastically.  “I like your clothes.  You look very pretty.  You need to meet my Dorm Mother.

“Hino-Sempai, this is Yamashita Kaori-sensei.  Kaori-sensei, This is Hino Rei, the Head Miko at this shrine.”

The two bowed to each other.

Now Rei knew for certain that this was far beyond being a mere social call.  Not only was this woman here as an educator, but as someone who was implicitly entrusted with Benjamin’s day-to-day needs, effectively taking the place of his own mother.

Rei eyed the interaction between them.  The two were close together - touching even! - just as a mother and son would be, with Kaori’s hand placed comfortingly at Benjamin’s back.

Rei knew without a doubt then that not only did Ben love his Dorm Mother, but that she also loved Ben in return.

And Kaori, though she was being amiable, was in full-on mother bear mode.

What’s more was that the woman actually was a mother herself.  Rei eyed the infant in the sling on Kaori’s back.  The infant was carefree, and calmly taking in the sights around her.  And then she looked to Kaori.  She bore her daughter with a straight posture, and no sign at all of any discomfort or discontent at her burden.  The glint of a wedding band on Kaori’s ring finger caught her eye and the picture became as clear as day.

Educator, caretaker, married woman, and mother.

Rei had about as much wiggle room in this situation as she did when her father would come on her birthdays.

Which is to say, virtually none at all.

She counted her lucky stars that Kaori was being demure and polite.  She could just as easily be bossing Rei around like as though she owned the place, and Rei would have had little to no recourse.

“It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Hino-san.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Yamashita-sensei.”

So, better?
Much better, yes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Alright guys, need to ping the hive mind for this one.

I've had a terrible terrible idea.

And the fucking magnificent part is that it both makes sense AND it would be exactly the sort of thing that would happen to me.

See, once Hotaru gets her memories back, they're gonna be pretty vivid.  And she's going to clearly remember her previous lover, the last Knight of Void.

Of whom young Benjamin would remind her very much of.

She is GOING to have hang ups about this.

Hang ups bad enough that she is going to push Ben away and break his heart.

Now, I already have the idea of putting in a 'sixth season'.  So what if I set this Season after a time-skip.  Benjamin has gone his own way, divorcing himself from the rest of the Senshi.  They've defeated Galaxia, or at least the dark and destructive Chaos that had taken root in her.  What more could there be?  Benjamin says good bye and leaves Japan behind, going back to his family who had gone back to America and left him in Japan where he seemed happy.

The sad truth is that Ben just isn't right anymore.  Everything that he's gone through, from basically being forced into being a child soldier by Queen Beryl to the 'I Have Seen Some Shit' memories from fighting the likes of Wiseman and Pharoh 90...  And then in the end to be rejected by the girl he sees as the most perfect angel in the world...  It just doesn't help.  His mind goes to a bad place and it is hard as hell to get out of.

And by bad we mean he's practically killing himself by throwing himself at various crisis situations.  Disasters and domestic terrorist attacks, and even the September 11th Attacks (he was not able to stop the planes, but he was at least able to get to the fourth one and safely land it).

No one talks much to or about Hotaru.  They all know what she did to Ben, and even her relations with Chibi-Usa are strained.  Hotaru may be the sort who would quickly do what's needed to make amends, but seeing as how she estrange their brother, their Ohana from them, it's going to take a lot of making up.

And one of those is going to be making things right with Benjamin.

Thing is, they all know that these two are pretty much meant for each other.  Minako saw it clear as day.  Rei did fire readings.  Usagi SENSED it - the deep sense of budding adoration that would blossom into love.  So what if he's not the reincarnation of the Void Knight?  THE ONE YOU LOVE WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!

It takes her a while, and even a few heated shouting matches between herself and her adoptive parents*, but she finally comes to realize what she's done and goes out to find Benjamin.

In a ways it's easy to find him.  Benjamin, in his anonymous identity granted by his Void Knight's armor, has gone to Afghanistan to help out however he can there, rooting out snipers and rescuing civilians.  And yet he is bouncing around so tirelessly that it's difficult for even the Senshi of Death and Rebirth to pin him down.

It's not a pretty confrontation.

They meet in the midst of an intense firefight between Taliban guerilla fighters and coalition soldiers.  Hotaru is horrified by the things she sees.

For Ben, this has become Tuesday.

"What do you want, Tomoe-san?  I apologize for seeming rude, but I am incredibly busy here."
"I just wanted to ask you to come back."
"Tokyo is safe.  I'm needed here."
"No, I should rephrase that.  *I* need you back.  I have been an idiot and a fool.  I loved you before I got my memories back.  I should not have allowed my old memories to influence me so."
"And you think that makes it okay now?  Especially when there are dead and dying all around us?  Especially when their are men with warped delusions that they are God's chosen ones raining death all around us?"
"No, it's not okay!  I know I need to make things right with you!  But I don't know where I can start!"
"Start by staying out of my way!"

And so it would go from there.

Sixth Season will be an entirely original plot I'm cooking up for Sailor Moon with a home-grown villain who has gotten themselves a piece of ancient Voider tech that was dangerously powerful - an entropy sink that makes a person quantum entangled with the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy.  And this person is entirely the wrong sort to have this kind of power.

Thoughts?

* - Haruka and Michiru had come to like Ben as well - For Haruka, Ben was her 'Little Motorhead' with his mechanical aptitude and love of all machinery; for Michiru he was a fellow creative spirit, loving music in all its various forms.
Uhm, guys? Anything? It's been almost a week.
It's been a busy week... (Note the lack of updates in There's Nothing Better.)

It's a good idea, and if you write seasons 1-5 so that the plot gets to its starting point, there's no reason not to write it. The trick, of course, is to get to that starting point. We all know how stories can take on lives of their own.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, I don't plan on skipping ahead like that. Just having a time-skip between season 5 and the new season 6.

Be nice if other people would comment, though. I really would like to have more than one person's input on this.
Short chapter this time, but it tidies up the aftermath of of Chapter 2.

There's been a raft of minor fixes - I went through the whole thing with with an e-reader with a read-aloud function.  Fixed a few weird typos and tweaked things here and there for clarity and flow.

PDF file as usual, and I'm testing the waters with an Epub version as well.  And also the new chapter on its own is behind the spoiler.  Let me know what you guys think.

.pdf   Part.pdf (Size: 140.85 KB / Downloads: 12)

.epub   Part.epub (Size: 693.31 KB / Downloads: 4)

Hrm. Well, with it being Halloween and all, I guess I should expect an immediate response.
Probably not. Smile

The less-important comment first: If you've read my sidestories in There's Nothing Better, you'll know that I am jealous of Ben's sleeping arrangements.

The more-important comment: You might be trying to get too many things done before Ben wakes up. I'm not sure how quiet Usagi and Rei started out, but are they still whispering by the time Usagi wakes Ami? Mind you, I have no idea how deep a sleeper Makoto is, let alone Minako or Ben. I might be way off-base here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown