Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Eyrie!
New Eyrie!
Hey guys, if you haven't already noticed, Gryph's posted the first part of the new Cybertron remix/retcon. And it's greatness! Get your crack-weasel selves over there! ^_^
Also, it's reportedly chronologically _last_ in the Future Imprefect era. And Gryph has said that stories written after that point will be in a whole new section. -Logan
-----------------
Crow T. Robot: Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.
-----------------
Re: New Eyrie!
Noted it in the updates thread, but it bears repeating. Should be interesting to see how things differ.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
its different yet the same.. [Image: happy.gif] I like the new angle [Image: happy.gif] _____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
Yow! And boom!
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Hmmm. Having never read the original, I suppose I have a different point of view on it... but I agree. So far it's been a very nice edge-of-seat adventure, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Eh. Original was better, IMO.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
RE: Eyrie
Hard to say, at this stage, wether or not it will be better.. since, afterall, it's going to be serialized instead of plonked down in a single, enormous wad. This format allows for tighter editing and longer stories, since it's chopped up into pieces and spread out a bit.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Re: RE: Eyrie
I agree with Berk. In fact, I dare say that this version, because G decided to serialize it, is going to be much, much bigger than the original...
PS: Yeah, I'm back, sorta...-NeoRaven
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allen Poe
Sponsored by Black Aeronaut Technologies -
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allen Poe

Sponsored by Black Aeronaut Technologies -

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.
My problem is that even if you take the same sized 'chunk' of the original, Gryph did a better job of presenting his characters and their voices.
The story's okay, it's not his best though. I felt the original was very well crafted, and he's not working to the same standard right now.
We'll see what he does with it, though.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Actually, I'm not sure how much of it's Gryph's. The author credits have Phil Moyer as the lead author, so it's possible he did most of the grunt work. And while I'm fond of Serendipity, it's been... how many years now since Phil's picked up the word processor instead of Photoshop?---
Mr. Fnord, interdimensional man of mystery.
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I'm looking forward to you guys reacting to some stuff coming in the later chapters. To be honest, CDR is coming out weirdly (even for EPU), and there's stuff written that you won't see for a bit but I know at least one scene - and there's artwork for it already! - which will, once we get it done and tight - will make you almost certainly go "ooooooh." I know, it's not nice to tease, but believe me, there's stuff in here that I'M looking forwards to seeing put out.
There's also some intense, intense foot damage action.
And the forums are being redone! We've made it nicer! Come back, sit down, have a milkshake!Brazil has decided you're cute.Brazil has decided you're cute.
Quote:
I dare say that this version, because G decided to serialize it, is going to be much, much bigger than the original...
I'd like to know why most EPU things these days are coming out as "serialized comics". They're just variations of the old "I'm going to send my fic to RAAC in parts as I finish it" thing (although more likely to actually *be* completed), with a bit of flash added as a distractor. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that the EPU Collective releases the serials before the overall stories are even finished just to get something new onto the market.
Besides, I generally find serials to be both irritating and distracting as hell. Give me complete fics (which include the various parts of things like SoS and NXE, each of which included self-contained stand-alone stories with conclusions), not things that end in cliff-hangers with neon "to be continued" signs flashing on them.
Jeanne
"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

[Image: purdue.gif]
www.jhedge.com

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Quote:
My problem is that even if you take the same sized 'chunk' of the original, Gryph did a better job of presenting his characters and their voices.
I'm reserving judgement on the characterizations at the moment.
Quote:
The story's okay, it's not his best though. I felt the original was very well crafted, and he's not working to the same standard right now.
I'm also wondering why he's re-doing this story. A while back he basically said that the story needed to be re-done because Priss and Sylvie were not going to be in the 3WA, they were going to be part of ACROSS. I think there's a discussion about this somewhere on the EPU board, including how "Day of Infamy" might need tweaking because it mentions P & S being at the 3WA Academy when they were really off playing with really big mecha. OK, I can buy that - the characters changed over the years and he needed to change the story.
So I was really surprised when right from the beginning of this latest when I realized his previously stated reason for the re-write was moot - Priss & Sylvie are not professional big mech pilots in ACROSS, they did join 3WA after all. (and no one but the writers knows if there are any other major differences or not because the new one is a *&Y^%$#EW@ serial!)
Eyrie Board readers know G's been publicly cringing about the original UF stories for ages. Then there's that thread he started a while back that seemed to come into being solely so he could complain about how bad he thought "Hopelessly Lost" was. I'm starting to wonder if "Cybertron Dreams" is getting a re-write because G's on an "old is bad" kick.
Jeanne
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

www.jhedge.com

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
The girls weren't going to be 3WA (but now they are), Gryphon & co. were coming to the rescue with the WDF, not the IPO, many characters have developed into poeple who might not have the same reactions now as they were shown having when the original version was written, and then there's all the other major FI/SOS cast that didn't exist at the time, several of whom also have big honkin' robots... and it's simple fact that the writing style oversll has, indeed, improved over the years - it could hardly do otherwise, as a practised skill. All told, the biggest reason it gets a rewrite is probably 'Gryphon wants one,' but there are continuity and character justifications for it. Yeah, this part was a little on the light weight side, but it IS just the first part - give it time to develope, and if you don't like serials then for crying out loud, wait for it to be finished so you don't spoil it for yourself.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
The girls weren't going to be 3WA (but now they are),
I don't understand - are you saying that in the original Cybertron Dreams Priss and Sylvie were NOT working for 3WA? Because if you are, you need to take another look at the first 5 paragraphs or so of that story.

Jeanne
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

www.jhedge.com

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
No, I mean that them "not being 3WA" was one of the stated reasons G wanted a rewrite all this time. The rest still applies, though.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows