Interesting Author...
www.fanfiction.net/u/686093/
I particularly like Make A Wish.
Needs some proofing, but it's amusing.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Re:Interesting Author...
Nearly halfway-through the 3 chapter I'm seeing shades of The Man Who Knew Too Little; yes, we are having xTreme freestyle chuckling over here. Two great tastes that go great together!
Another interesting Author...
serpant-sorcerer's Stranger in an Unholy Land is an example of the "Mirror Universe" cliche being pulled off right - and despite his userid, the only technical problems I noticed with his writing were generally spellchecker barfs, where even if he'd ahd the right word it would likely have been listed as wrong. It's a 6th year fic, but while there are the occasioanl references to HBP in mid to late chapters, the alternate universe is different enoguh that there is little impact, and some fundamental differences - I can say, as only very minor spoilers, that Snape2 is entirely Dumbledore's man, for example, and various people are dead or not dead. Heck, the USSR is still around, instead of having collapsed in 1991. Theres a small degree of SuperHarry, but he has to work and suffer for it. A recnt author's note metioned that the events of HBP are happening in the original world without Harry, or without the Harry we're following... it's billed as the first part of a trilogy, and some of the ... dammit, word's on the tip of my tongue, starts with an E ... as-you-know-Bob-ing has suggested the possibility of a trio of alternste Harrys having jumped one step to the left in conjuntion with that, but there is no information as such to be had.
There is also a YahooGroup called stranger_trilogy tat is kept one chapter ahead of FF.n and The Dark Arts - I don't have a link for TDA, but I imagine there's a search function there that could find it for those with philosophical objections to using FF.n or joining YahooGroups.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: Interesting Author...
Quote:
You evil collaborator, you. I ducked in late last night to see what was in the forums after a long busy weekend, and ended up reading this until 1:30 in the frickin' morning.
The author's style/technical skill was a little weak at the beginning, but he's clearly improving as he keeps on writing. This is definitely someone to to keep an eye on. At least until he finished "MAW".

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Oh, yeah, especially with Ed Becerra offering up "evil" plot ideas. You should see some of the things flying around on his Yahoo group...-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Re: Interesting Author
Quote:
Oh, yeah, especially with Ed Becerra offering up "evil" plot ideas. You should see some of the things flying around on his Yahoo group...

Ed Becerra has a Yahoo Group...
Excuse me, there is something I need to do....
Ed has a yahoo group?! Where?
First I discover he's got some BtVS fiction going, now this.
SHEESH.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Err... sorry. Wrote that early in the morning. No, Ed does not have a Yahoo group to the best of my knowledge. He does, however, hang around in the Yahoo group of the author of Make a Wish.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Re: Another interesting Author...
Karsh Silvermoon has a sortish, all-OC but original flavor Angelic Layer fic. If you're not familiar with the setting, Angels are 12" animatronic action figures (I specifically do not call them dolls, because they're truly deserving of the action figure moniker when even the most girly-girl styled one is as well jointed as the big M.U.S.C.L.E. Men toys, plus able to move and kick ass on its own when in a Layer) that activate on a special platform called a Layer, there to engage in martial arts duels under the control of their operator or Deus, who wears a thgouht-control headset. The original show is by CLAMP and is some wierd hybrd of shojo and shonen, with the ENTIRE series being the training and playing of a tournaemtn but the plot being about the young girl who's the main character ad her relationships with friends and an always-at-work mother. The fic has post-tournemant power levels, which is probably no suprise since it's set in that time frame with Angelic Layer being introduced to the US, and the main character is male. Oh, and the creator of the game is kind of a freak about how imaginative and interesting the designs people come with are.
additional original series spoiler in white:
The base technology behind AL was developed for medical purposes, one of the major incentives for always-at-work-Mom being always at work is that shes paralysed below the waist, and working on AL in hopes of deriving a control interface to let her live normally with the daughter again. This doesn't seem to have any bearing on the fic, but is a point of interest for the setting.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
Update... I still liked this story, but I tried the first one on the page -- the past-life-reliving one, I forget the title -- and I'm sorry, but it's awful.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
For me ... it would be Not A Dirty Word (Kasumi self-insertion), that Genma self-insertion *shudders* (I forgot the title) and Knight of Shadow.
[Image: roll.gif]
Oh yeah, I'll second Not a Dirty Word, although I find the prologue/setup one of the most awful pieces of fan writing I've ever encountered. I just with the author would continue it.

-- Bob
---------