Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random FF.Net question
Random FF.Net question
How do you go about getting every chapter of a story saved? Do you just save each individual webpage? Or is there some utility, either local or on FFnet itself?
Thanks.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Re: Random FF.Net question
In the past, I've done it chapter by chapter, saving only the HTML. A utility would be nice.*********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
Re: Random FF.Net question
Quote:
How do you go about getting every chapter of a story saved? Do you just save each individual webpage? Or is there some utility, either local or on FFnet itself?
I have used a python utility to grab the chapters. I found it on the net but it didn't work so I had to make a few changes. I'm not a programmer so my changes to get it working were very basic. I talked with the author and he is working on a new version from scratch (he feels the code he wrote for this to be very badly structured) but he had to stop a couple of months back due to school.
If you're interested, I put it up on www.inuko.org/files/ff.py and I'll leave it there for the weekend (this is my home connection so it's not going to be that fast but the file is only about 5k in size.) I'd point you to his site but the patched version is not available there.
I'm using Pyton 2.3 as I found a bug in 2.4 that caused the script to not work properly part of the time. Also, I have had it fail in grabbing a file (so far only 2 out of 20+.)
Its been a while since I've used this version (I've been using version 3) but I just tested it using:
ff.py 1046500
(to pick a story at random :-p) and it worked fine.
However, it did not work to pull all an author's stories (looks as if there's been another change to FF.net.) I don't use this option so I didn't realize it stopped working. Sorry, if I have time this weekend (Sunday at the earliest, right now) I'll take a look at it. If anyone else has changes let me know and I'll update the file.
Brian