Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You are crunchy and tase like carrots.
You are crunchy and tase like carrots.
I tried to reread the earlier Potter books, preparatory to the new one, and discovered - or rediscovered, since it's been long enoguh to have forgotten the first time through - that I really can't stand them. This is probably why I generally only like the more varient HP fanfic, but it does present a problem when a pure-potterverse dragonbunnny starts stalking around and breathing fire in my head. Herein, therefore, I have exorcised sadi dragonbunny, and present it to the forum at large.
I have seen any number of new character fics, even more completely-break-an-existing-character-so-it's-nothing-more-than-the-same-name fics, and even a few SI-as-Harry fics. This one, though, would be either a break-Draco-so-he's-not-a-jerk fic or an insert-as-Draco fic, that latter of which I have not seen, and the first not done well.
Further, Ron pretty much has to come off as an ass for this to work, and the twins too for the first book's worth, thoguh they (being just a smidgen more reasonable) could well be brought into alignment with the hero cast later on - at the latest, after rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, thoguh with much joking about how they never thought they'd see the day there was a tolerable Malfoy.
Anyway, on to the bunny. I called the text file "Draco Veritas," thoguh it's also a 'chapter' title.
- CD

-------- 8< -------- cut here -------- 8< --------

Draco Dormiens
The dragon asleep

It seemed, at first, a very odd sort of dream; moving and speaking without truly willing it - the regal blond man who acted as his father, taking him on a whirling trip through the fireplace to an afternoon's shopping in a fantastic market district, the odd books and equipment and supplies they purchased before parting ways while he stood to be fitted for the archiac robes worn by man, woman, and child alike. The focus sharpened, breifly, when he met another boy, dark haired and scrawny, while waiting there in the clothiers.
(blah blah blah) The other boy adjusted hhis thick-rimmed black glasses, and the dreamer noticed a lightning bolt shaped scar on this Harry's forehead. An electric tingle of shock ran through his body at the sight, even throguh the cloudy dream-feeling. (Blah! blah blah blah! Blah blah.)
He left the emerald-eyed boy in the shop, then, floating more deeply into dream as his dream-self and dream-father returned to their luxurious home, and through a week or two of idle time mixed with early studies of the books and things that had been bought, his father enforcing scholarship with dire warnings of what would befalll if he disgraced the family name with mere adequacy.
(&stuff)

Draco Lucidas
The dragon awakens

(on train to HW, confused identity, but not being a jerk and so befreinding Harry, while Ron just looks like an ass)

Draco Veritas
The dragon in truth
(sorting, the Hat doesn't know what to make of him, tells him he'll have to decide just who he is before he can be placed - he decides not to return to his sleep - oh, how tempting, but no - and is put in Slytherin anyway, "The proper place for a wyrm, after all, and for that matter a better fit now than for a dreamer, however dark the dreams, is -- SLYTHERIN!"
Harry, too, enters the House of the Snake.

Chapter titles to look up - Draco ("freinds" or "allies", bondong with Harry and through some plot device - Harry is concerned, Draco follows? About the same as canon with Ron if so - saving Hermione, who is then put upon by the Gryffindors as a Snake-Lover. No, Harry gets his own chapter, Draco Fraternas, The Dragon's Brother, Nee gets her own chapter with the Ally or Freind title), ("returns" or "familias" - home for the holidays, then fleeing back to the school in time for the Stone adventure), Draco ("homeless" or "wandering" - after escaping being returned to 'sleep', since the school year finshes out essentially as an epilogue, and he now must find somewhere to go for the summer.)
Scene: in "allies" chapter - The Gryffindors were hissing again as Hermione approiached their table in the Great Hall, face set in determination. They'd been treating her awefully for days, but she told herself she'd dealt with being unpopular in the muggle schools, she could handle it here, right? Most of the seats were full, as she'd been delayed recasting the protection and locking charms on her trunk. She didn't much want to sit by that rotten Weasley boy, but if she was quick he'd probably be too busy stuffing his face...
Not too busy to see her coming, apparently, and hold the chair against the table when she reached out for it. "This seat's taken, Hisskiss," he sneered, continuing, "That one's taken too," when she went for the one on the other side of the table - though she wanted to sitt by the holy terrors he called brothers even less. "Right, Fred, George?" "Yep, no room here -" "- for snake-lovers." the twins replied, in their usual oh-but-it's-all-in-good-fun tones. Expression setting even more stiffly, she looked around at the table, but those Gryffindors who didn't look the other way either looked like they were enjoying her discomfort. Neville gave her a sorrowful shrug, but quickly shifted his eyes to the Twin Terrors before deliberately going back to dealing with his food. She couldn' blame him, the one time he'd tried to stand up for her all his clothes had been a glowing, venomous green the next morning.
(She blows her top and bitches out the Griffs and casts something that makes the dishes spill on everyone, then flounces over to the seat beside Harry at the Slytherin table - some token protests about muggleborns, but Draco shuts them up by saying "Purity is measured in power, not the other way around. Besides, anyone who coats the entire Gryffindor table in pumpkin juice and kidney pudding must be alright.")

Important foreward-looking plot points: The reason he was spelled to sleeping must be addressed - probably at winter break, when he returns home and daddy dear realizes that something has gone wrong. Also, for Chamber of Secrets, both boys go through and meet the basilisk, Draco recieving a famous Slytherin's daggers (but not Salazar's) Forked Tongue and Swift Fang, one enchanted to give the owner understanding of all languages ("all" including parseltongue, noncoincidentally giving Harry and he a secure means of discussion as long as Voldie isn't in listening range), the other preventing petrification, poison, and similar (negative status condition, in RPG speak) effects. He gets one of the basilisk's eyes, but immunity to poison doesn't do anything for getting big chunks of flesh torn out of you by the fangs involved, and Harry has to finish the fight as in canon.
Dumbledore is likely to be even less forthcoming with a slytherin Harry, and Sirius would surely also react differently. Some kind of plotting to get some revenge on the Dursleys is also in order, whether on encouraged-to-be-sneaky Harry's part or Draco's. In any case, awake-Draco is just that, and understands the concepts of planning, subtlety, and stealth quite well, thanks.
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
encouragement
*puppy-dog eyes* If you don't write this, I will cry! */puppy-dog eyes*

You know, for some reason I don't think it worked as well as it could have. Oh well.
Here's to hoping you try and develop it further.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Re: encouragement
Here, have a hanky. I might possibly use a similar intro one day, but an actual potterfic? Not bloody likely.
Besides, I don't have any real idea on why he'd have been (smirk) made into a sleeper agent to begin with, nor how to have the peripheral cast - professors, Marauders, Weasleys, etc. - react... Presumably, the majority of the wazarding world is far less automatically upset about Slytherins than the Gryffindor-focussed canon cast, but Snapes reaction alone would need to be pure gold, and how Hagrid, already a solid Harry buddy before the sorting, would react would need some careful planning too.
Dumbledore... I think, despite what I wrote before, Albus would in fact (attempt, at least) to treat him exactly the same, given his professed beleifs about inter-house cooperation and school unity, and the fact that it's just one more congruence in what seems to be a big nature-vs-nurture exeriment comparing a Potter and a Riddle raised in circumstances as similar as feasible - thoguh again, I go for the interpretation that he truly is a well meaning person who does the best he can with some very good information sources, but still makes mistakes and has lived so long he's lost touch with the way kids feel about things, for all he tries to act like one himself when he has the option.
- CD

--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Just a note, the titles Draco Dormiens and Draco Veritas already exist.
Otherwise, neat idea. I hope to see it complete.*********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
"The dragon awakens" or its latin equivalent (sort of fudged as Draco Lucidas, admittedely - that's "Dragon Thinking Clearly" (possibly with the wrong conjugation) more than "Awakens") would probably make a better title than they as far as conveying the idea behind it. A title that wasn't also a chapter title has aesthetic appeal also.
- CD

--
Funny thing...
The funny thing is that you could do something like this with a variant Draco that really wasn't all that variant. Remember, Draco really *did* try to be Harry's friend at the beginning. He did it in completely the wrong way - insulting the first person to ever try to be Harry's friend, and acting in some ways an awful lot like Dudley and Co - but he did try. From that point, the thing that had Harry hitting Gryffindor rather than Slytherin was his own desperate desire to avoid being anything like the obnoxious blond kid.
So lets say that the difference is simply what day Harry shows up at Diagon alley? Instead of being there with his cronies, Draco is there with his (rather overbearing) father, having just found Draco's wand. Lucius, something of a competent manipulator, notices the Boy Who Lived straight off, and strikes up an argument with Hagrid, pushing the poor guy's hot buttons enough to keep him away from the wand-choosing process. Draco fills the expositional void, is suitably impressed with Harry's wand, and tosses in some of his "be Slytherin so that you can be powerful so that your life doesn't suck" philosophy, rather than the bits that involve marginalizing anyone. It's convincing. and so on.
This lends itself to a far grayer world. Slytherin is no different at first - it is only Harry's opinions that change. Of course, over time, having the heroics centered around Slytherin could have some interesting effects on interhouse politics, as Gryfindor feels outdone at their own game, but...
grr... out of mojo.
Sirrocco
Re: Funny thing...
It would certainly be an interesting read.
There was one a while back, called (I think) "The Silver Trio", which did something similar. In this case, though, the author had done some slight AU'ing to the background, with Ron and Hermione both having dealt with childhood abuse. It ended up with all three in Slytherin...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Re: Funny thing...
Yea, The Silver Trio: www.fanfiction.net/s/1865487/1/ I wish I could find other decent Slytherin Trio fics, especially since the author of The Silver Trio is planning on abandoning it. I've always felt that all three of them coulda made good Slytherins.