Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[snippity thing] An Arrow Which Will Split The Heavens Apart
[snippity thing] An Arrow Which Will Split The Heavens Apart
A somewhat random snippet that I thought of.  Most of it just flowed, but I had trouble with the last bit, and I don't think it came out that well, so help would be appreciated.  Also, the line in parenthesis is one I'm not sure if I want to keep, or change, or completely remove, so again, help will be welcomed.

Quote:The Fifth Holy Grail War was over.  At the foot of The Throne of Heroes, where
the Counter-Guardians stood ready, a man in red waited, hoping that he would
one day receive another chance.  On the
planet known as Earth, a young man vowed to never walk the path whose end he
had glimpsed.

(And that was all it took.)

The Akashic Records, at the heart of the Root of the World, changed.  There now existed a being, a Hero, whose
existence was impossible.  But he did
exist.  His existence was a proven fact,
the times he had been sent forth to cauterize Gaia’s wounds had occurred.  Yet he could not exist.  Yet he did. 
Yet he did not.

The Throne of Heroes convulsed.  A man in red smiled.

That which existed, which must exist, could not.  The Root of the World shuddered, and all of
reality along with it.

An endless, timeless eternity, drifting.  No true awareness, or perception.  Just a vague sense of fulfillment, and of
peace.  Nothing more.  A timeless eternity, drifting through a
golden sea.

An endless, timeless eternity, drifting.  A current in the golden everything.  A being of Power, stirring the all
encompassing gold as it passed.  Echoes
of hate, of loneliness, of rage, of despair. 
A flash of brilliant light and of looming darkness, the Idea of an
arrow, and the Power vanishes.  The gold
rushes in to fill the sudden void, and time returns.

“Are you all right?” asked a girl’s voice, accompanied by
what felt like the beginnings of a healing spell.

EMIYA opened his eyes. 
Straight ahead lay a clear blue sky. To his left, a man wearing a dark
blue breastplate, with his hand on the hilt of his sword.  Towards his feet, a girl, kneeling at his
side, her hands glowing with healing magic, dressed in  white, with three blue talismans, with
pentagrams sealed inside, one placed on each of her wrists and just below her
collar.  To his right, another man with a
hand on the hilt of his sword, whose skin appeared to be stone, and was wearing
tan robes with no armor.  When he moved
his head slightly, and  looked at his
relative up, there was a young woman standing a short distance away, a fireball
floating above her right hand.  She was
wearing four blood red talismans that were almost glowing with prana, three in
the same places as the girl in white, the fourth on her belt. 

“Alright.  I am sick
and tired of this.  Answers.  Now,” said the fireball wielding sorceress.

-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

You're right in that the last paragraph needs some work. If you want to keep things slow, add in some emotional indicators EMIYA would notice, and give each of the gang their piece. If things are moving fast, then give really, really brief mentions, and jump to the improtant bit, the cautious group and annoyed Lina.
(You're trying to relate his point of view, yes? Let the time spent reading reflect the time EMIYA has to grasp the situation.)

Hmm... How does this work?
Quote:EMIYA's eyes snapped open.
Straight ahead, no, up: nothing but blue sky.
Left: Man, hand on sword hilt, armor: breastplate, pauldron variant?
Down/forward: Girl, casting healing? spell, no armor, three amulets, wrists and center of collarbone.
Right: Man (Golem?), stone skin, hand on sword hilt, tan robes, no apparent armor.
Above/Behind: Fireball! Hovering above hand of sorceress, wearing four talismans (blood red, glowing with prana), three in same places as healing girl's, one on belt.  Eyes locked on mine, looks very annoyed.
“Alright.  I am sick and tired of this.  Answers.  Now,” said the fireball wielding sorceress.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Hmm, miscommunication.
Let's see...
I guess I'm having a hard time buying that EMIYA, awesome as he is, could take it all of these details in a blink of an eye. If you feel that he can, you need to somehow convey it, without the reader getting stuck in the details. Even if EMIYA can take it all in, he's going to prioritize his thought process onto the matter at hand (which is, unless I miss my guess, Lina's fireball spell).