Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lost/Dead Fics -- a Wish List

in case anyone is interested, I've converted Mark MacKinnon's Shadow Chronicles to .epub form. I've assumed the author has no objections, but I's really like to hear from him so he can confirm this or make other comments on the conversion. See http://topoi.pooq.com/hen...theShadowChronicles.html

-- hendrik

Welcome to the forums, Hendrik!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

There was this fellow named Kilk, or Quelk, something like that, who was writing a "Nadia" Stagger for Drunkard's Walk, and I haven't seen anything of that in three and a half years, roughly....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Soutern Cross Wrote:Anything by Robert "Kenko" Haynie. (Most of his stories are available on http://www.fanfiction.net/).
Does anyone know where he lived?  I did a Facebook search and there are quite a few Robert Haynies listed there.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Thread necro...

Harry Potter and the Quantum Leap by Seel'vor. I just reread this for the first time in quite a while, and was all "oh, maaaaaaan" when it ended just past second year...

Seel'vor hasn't updated any of his stuff in about four years.  A note at the start of one of the chapters of HPatQL mentions him recovering from cancer, so I can't help wondering if he passed away and no one knows... 

-- Bob
---------

DHBirr Wrote:There was this fellow named Kilk, or Quelk, something like that, who was writing a "Nadia" Stagger for Drunkard's Walk, and I haven't seen anything of that in three and a half years, roughly....
Massive writer's block, combined with something going on at work. With any luck, the work situation will sort itself out sometime in the next few months. The writer's block... we'll see what happens there.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And checking my bookmarks, works from Greenbeans and The Judge. I know the second can be waybacked, the first I don't know and I can't recall what I liked.

One I just stumbled over again: A Time Apart by Ozzallos. Another "ah, man!" at the end fic.

-- Bob
---------

Boy do I understand writer's block. Although it should be called Unemployed Guilt in my case. When I write, I sort of lose track of time, and a whole day can fly by. If I do that several times in a row, a week can disappear with little notice. That makes it harder to find work. I hate it, but I can't find a way past it. And there's so much I'd like to write, too.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Maybe you should try writing novels? Even if no publishers take you, there's always Lulu.com.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Quote:The Grum, whose fic-laden personal domain vanished about 18 months ago.
It's back, with updates as recently as last month. According to a note on the update page, he was hospitalized for heart failure in 2009; his sites died while he was recuperating, and he's trying Amazon hosting for the new site.
And I just noticed that he dumped a bunch of new material to the site on Christmas Eve and New Years Day.  Sadly, Finding an Anchor is not among them.  

-- Bob
---------

Thread necro...
Harry Potter and the Quantum Leap by Seel'vor. I just reread this for the first time in quite a while, and was all "oh, maaaaaaan" when it ended just past second year...
Seel'vor hasn't updated any of his stuff in about four years.  A note at the start of one of the chapters of HPatQL mentions him recovering from cancer, so I can't help wondering if he passed away and no one knows... 
Taking a look on his Yahoo Groups page shows he hasn't posted there for at least a year.  Hope all's okay with him.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Quote:Pyeknu wrote:
Thread necro...
Taking a look on his Yahoo Groups page shows he hasn't posted there for at least a year.  Hope all's okay with him.
Addendum:  Steve is still active; his favourite list at FF.net shows that he is still keeping an eye on things.

Another one I rediscovered by going through my Kindle: The Dungeon Books by MoonTiger5. A childless Muggle couple witnesses Harry Potter being left on the Dursleys' step, and upon reading the note in the basket decide to take him in themselves. Then things start getting... interesting. As the author says in his/her summary, "What if JK Rowling and Rudyard Kipling met for tea?" The author starts with some interesting correspondences between Harry Potter and The Jungle Books and then runs with them, developing an AU completely unlike any other I've ever read. Infuriatingly, the story crashes to a halt just before the climactic confrontation between Harry and Voldemort, and has been stuck there since October 2011.

-- Bob
---------

Agreed, one of my favourites.

Girl's School by Miko2, a Ranma 1/2 fic that had been going strong for 7 years -- 2006 to 2013 -- but which appears to be dead now. Ranma's mother reveals that the infamous suicide pledge was not about being "manly", but about his education -- and that to give him a last chance to fulfill it, he has to go to St. Hebereke (where Nodoka is the Vice Principal) for the last year and a half of high school, and get outstanding grades. At the same time, he has to remain female so that he can learn to accept his female side...

Much better than I make it sound, and while it starts off light (but not zany), it undergoes a mood whiplash around chapter 25, and sets hooks that indicated the future plot was going to go in a radically unexpected direction. I really wanted to see where it was going to go next, but the author hasn't even checked into their ff.net account in two years.

-- Bob
---------

I still hope Dead Bang will be continued someday.

You and me both, happerry! Say, Ian...
-- Bob
---------

Harvey Torrance Griffin's X-Change Students, a Ranma/Generation X crossover that only published the first three of a planned six chapters.

Oh yeah! I remember that well, especially the passage where Emma Frost tries to read Nabiki Tendo's mind...
-- Bob
---------

I'm still in heavy lurk mode. I'm slowly working my way back to writing again. It's a side effect of being unemployed for 3 years now. Although I did just finish the second interview for a position. Hopefully, I'll get that job. I'm SO tired of being poor, broke, and out of work.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I sympathize greatly -- I remember how my drive to write disappeared when I lost my job in 2009. Good luck on the opening.
-- Bob
---------

Well, the Shadow Chronicles website no longer resolves. It could just be that the author forgot to pay the DNS bill, but given it's been... how many years since an update? Five? A Hearts of Ice style comeback is looking really, really unlikely at this point.

A quick check shows that Mackinnon still owns the domain, so maybe it's just a server hiccup or the DNS issue as you said. Hm. Very sad if that does go vanish into the ether.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

Since it is now very unlikely they'll ever be continued, should we post Larry Huss's unfinished fics here?