Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
RE: Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
....... That cannot be in any way good.

Least of all for Taylor herself. IIRC, according to Destiny Lore, out of the three siblings that went on to rule The Hive, Oryx was the only one to be able to pull it off, and only because it was just that much of a horrifyingly evil and corrupting act.
(07-24-2018, 08:39 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: .......  That cannot be in any way good.

Least of all for Taylor herself.  IIRC, according to Destiny Lore, out of the three siblings that went on to rule The Hive, Oryx was the only one to be able to pull it off, and only because it was just that much of a horrifyingly evil and corrupting act.

It actually turns out more-or-less okay, all things considered; mostly due to the fact that Taylor
A one shot set during The Dark Knight Rises movie
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8356412/1/The-Scarred-Man
According to some guy on the internet Chilord's cancer got him a while back, making Wind Shear the last of his fics to be released. (I'm not sure exactly when, it was in the author's notes at the end of a chapter on FFN of a fic that's still being updated, so all I can say is that is was probably sometime between the last update to Wind Shear and a couple months ago.) Per his policy at the time, it wasn't posted until it was complete, so we get to enjoy it in its entirety.

It's a very good accidental-time-travel HP fic, where a non-crapilogue-compliant Harry ends up in a pub in 1970 just in the nick to intercept Bellatrix Black's first outing with the Knights of Walpurgis, and set the history he knew on its ear. 19 chapters, 126k words, maybe half a dozen typos through the whole thing, and a nice tight plot with strong characterization, real development, and at least 20% less idiot balls than canon.
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12511998/
--
‎noli esse culus
Yes, his passing was noted in the "Cursed Thread". Wind Shear was an excellent story, as was his other completed fic, "NBH".
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Verified, then. Dang. I get too depressed to keep track of the Cursed Thread, and this is a prime example of why.
--
‎noli esse culus
https://archiveofourown.org/works/16755871
The Perpetrator (An adorable one-shot based off of 'Dreaming of Sunshine'.).
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/503044...s/11562568

"There May Be Some Collateral Damage"

A lovely shortfic. Bleach/HP crossover: In the wake of his resurrection, Soul Society has taken notice of Voldemort's games with his Horcruxes, and is Not Amused.
So Ichigo Kurosaki is sent undercover to act as Harry's bodyguard.
Needless to say, the title is quite apropos.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/16439483
Sabotage. Naruto one-shot. What if Itachi broke down and confided in ANBU Captain Kakashi after Shisui's death?
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Tirfarthuan's Brightest Shadow is a pocket-size version of DC's Blackest Night and Brightest Day storyline, shorn of Lanterns beyond Kyle Rayner and Alan Scott and featuring some characters crossed over from the Naruto SI Dreaming of Sunshine. As the author himself admits in the commentary, that sounds really really niche, but it is fact a solid story on its own so as long as you have the basic idea that the DCU is a place of idealistic superheroes and the crossover characters come from a world of flashy kung-fu wizards pretending to be ninja despite only occasionally exhibiting actual stealth and having quite a lot of explosions and shouting and distinctive appearances involved, you can probably get by. If you really want to brush up on more details first, the last chapter has a paragraph or two on each character, along with commentary on the plot and world building. And, of course, if you haven't read Dreaming of Sunshine yet, that's highly recommended too, even if it's still (slowly) ongoing. It's been a rebirth of my interest in the fandom, after the later canon material utterly killed the enthusiasm I'd once felt.

Though set somewhere mid-to-late-ish in the current body of DoS material and only involving minor characters other than Shikako herself, who doesn't actually spend a lot of time in the spotlight as such, Brightest Shadow is probably a decent enough teaser if you're not sure about diving into something as long as DoS on spec, particularly given that its first few chapters are the now overdone "SI freaks out about being a baby with an adult mind" material. It's ~39k words on its own, while DoS is closer to three quarters of a million words than half and has spawned many other spinoffs (90+ in the Helicentrism FFn community) and imitators besides.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11987353/ - Brightest Shadow
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/7347955/ - Dreaming of Sunshine
https://m.fanfiction.net/community/Helio...sm/119149/ - DoS inspired fic collection on FFn
https://archiveofourown.org/tags/Silver%...erse/works - a similar collection on AO3
--
‎noli esse culus
(01-05-2019, 11:39 PM)Shepherd Wrote: https://archiveofourown.org/works/16439483
Sabotage. Naruto one-shot. What if Itachi broke down and confided in ANBU Captain Kakashi after Shisui's death?

Popping in to say that I read this, and it's just plain great.  Kakashi is 100% pure Kakashi At His Best.

Honestly, I wish I could see more of this if only to see where the butterflies take things.
100demons has finished the Kakashi-mulligan fic Blind Stars of Fortune at last, as well as a short happily-ever-after epilogue set an unspecified time afterward, probably in the range of two to three decades. Around 82k words combined.

Warning for gore, suicide, and eye-scream, though it's nothing you couldn't see on prime time TV.
--
‎noli esse culus
Holy HELL I'd almost forgotten about that one!

Glad to see it finally come to a close, though given HOW it ended, the epilogue could have been... well, a little more so. But all the same, that was a heckuva ride.
https://gingerspark.dreamwidth.org/3070.html#cutid1
Dreaming of Magic (Potter/Dreaming of Sunshine).
(02-19-2019, 12:04 PM)Shepherd Wrote: https://gingerspark.dreamwidth.org/3070.html#cutid1
Dreaming of Magic (Potter/Dreaming of Sunshine).

Shouldn't this be in 'Updated fics' instead of 'completed fics'?
I hope so, it would be a shame if it was being abandoned so soon...
--
‎noli esse culus
Yes it should. Looks like I had the wrong tab open.
It's not fanfiction per se, but the one volume of the light novel The Bathroom Goddess is completely translated, and not licensed in English as of checking just now.

Quote:While she was in the middle of a bath, the bathroom window connected to a mysterious world. Izumi was just enjoying her baths while she bartered things with the various people that appeared beyond the window, but before long, she ended up deeply affecting the fate of that world…

It's a premise I've seen once before in a BtVS/SGA crossover called "Dawn's Pegasus Closet" but in a rather more quirky (and of course fanservicey) way, and I'm strongly tempted to try my own take on it as there seems to be a lot more ground that could be explored with a similar mechanism. It's not all that different from the TARDIS popping up at apparently random times and locations, if you tilt your head.

Contains nudity, obviously, but nothing more explicit than the words "naked" or "butt," or "For the last few minutes... it's been completely visible..." followed by a flustered cover-up.
--
‎noli esse culus
I rather enjoyed that story.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9018850/1/W...ds-Collide

When Worlds Collide (NCIS/Supernatural)

A coincidental (or not?) meeting between a team of ridiculously competent characters from a police procedural (the twist is they work for the navy) and a pair of ridiculously competent urban fantasy monster hunters (the twist is their brothers and friends with an angel of Thursdays) and things spiral out from there.

Not the best story, but well told and enough to make me go from beginning to end.
I'm fairly sure Vathara is known around here for quality fic, but I just happened across one of them today - well, yesterday by now, but you get my meaning - and really enjoyed it. It's a Star Wars/Ruroni Kenshin crossover where Obi-Wan survives ANH by thinking like a wall, then makes his way to an Outer Rim backwater world where the Meiji Restoration setting of Kenshin has been minimally adjusted to fit with the founding of the Empire, with a few pokes from Qui-Gon and the Force in general. All told, it's a very slick way of inserting Obi-wan into RK without relying on the tired old Act of ROB or Suddenly Fell Down a Portal shticks. ~152k words, posted 2008

Shadows in Starlight
--
‎noli esse culus
PFFFFFT!!!!

I was just thinking of this fic earlier!

Favorite line in the early chapters: “‘Oro?’ wasn’t gonna cut it this time.”
I'll third this rec. I read Shadows in Starlight when Vathara first posted it, and it's been on my "re-read" list ever since. Just recently finished my... third? fourth? Enh. I lose track.

I love her take on how to integrate Kenshin's Japan into the Galactic Empire, and without losing any of the real spirit of either. If I ever get into a Star Wars RPG this is what I'd want to base it on.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Heeee.  Found it.

Context: Kenshin and Obi-wan are talking about things that have happened.  Kenshin does not know how close to screwed he was...

Quote:"Forgive me for being blunt," the Jedi went on, "but if Palpatine knew of you, I'm rather surprised you're still breathing."

"This one never came to his attention." Because even though Katsura had wanted to believe, the Ishin Shishi leader was still a samurai of Yamato, born breathing its politics, its plots, its assassinations. Hitokiri Battousai had been his blade against his enemies - of the Shogunate, and elsewhere.

And against such a power as Palpatine, the best blade was the one no one even suspected existed.

"Which was very fortunate for you, my young friend," Obi-Wan said soberly. "You wouldn't like what would happen if he caught you."

"One has seen the holo-casts of his speech to the Senate, when he was made Emperor," Kenshin said bleakly. "That damage... no power of the Jedi would have warped him so. He has let the Dark Side take him."

"He is Darth Sidious."

For one frozen moment, Kenshin could only think, Oro is not going to cut it.

"Kenshin?" A hand reached out, not quite touching; a warmth in the Force. "Kenshin, breathe."

The rurouni cleared his throat, chills tingling down his spine. "Forgive, but - one had the sudden, desperate desire to find a very deep hole..."

"Been there, tried that," Obi-Wan said lightly. "This isn't a desolate sand-pit on the Outer Rim. The Empire does rule here..."

It's a little bit like that scene in the first Matrix movie where Morpheus is warning Neo about the Agents that are coming for him... and then Neo claps eyes on them and promptly has a HOLY SHIT moment, to which Morpheus replies with this smug sounding "Yeeeessssss..."
Oh I am going to have to read this.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd