Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
RE: Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
(insert political quip here)

eta: Ah dammit, it's not funny if the setup is on the previous page...
--
‎noli esse culus
I just finished this one and I loved it:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12868582/31...ing-Asleep

Harry wakes up back in the final task of the Triwizard Tournament after being hit by the killing curse during the events of The Deathly Hallows.

I will say no more, but the story hit me in the feels several times. A bit of warning though: the author makes notes that he is dyslexic so some odd spellings and mangled words at the start before he got someone checking for him, but is not enough to to distract from the story.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(10-20-2019, 07:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: One Good Man has shown up every couple-four years like clockwork.  We were just due for another one.  <grin>

Eh?  Guess I should take a look at it then.  So many like minded folk can't be wrong.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
It is really good. Imagining Ricardo Montalban playing a suave good-guy-bad-ass character is epic.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/203836...s/48345097

The Family You Choose (A:TLA, platonic soulbond AU)

Character study, covering the events of canon. Zuko is linked to Aang and co., but doesn't know it.
42=19
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...-au.58158/

"The Jedi Lord of Serenno": When the Jedi Council turns young Anakin away, Dooku offers to take him in and train him.
Is this really such a good idea?
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
That's an interesting fic, but not yet matching the purpose of this thread. It's still in "chapter zero" as of the last part, even.
--
‎noli esse culus
Whoops, yeah, wrong thread. I was looking for the general Fic Rec thread.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Highly recommended:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13133746/1/...-of-Intent

The only annoyance I had was his confused usage of then/than but the story is solid. Made tear up at the climax.

These are short stories set afterwards: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13232699/1/...he-Credits
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Black Coffee, with Sugar: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12414949/1/...with-sugar

Harry Potter, post Hogwarts.

Daphne woke up to the smell of coffee, which was unusual, all things considered. Mostly because she didn’t drink coffee.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12986683/1/...i-Theology
Remedial Jedi Theology by MarbleGlove (Star Wars AU, 6 chapters, 51k words).

"Let us consider the fact that the Jedi Order is a monastic religious organization based out of a temple, with five basic tenets of faith. A canon-divergence and fix-it for the prequel trilogy."

I don't even particularly like Star Wars, but I loved this fic. Bonus points for Obi-Wan Kenobi solving his problems by:
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
O.o; at what is in the spoiler there...
NO QUARTER!

https://archiveofourown.org/works/207054...s/49184888

"Confusing Things come in Threes"

In which some young wizards visit Brockton Bay, and worlds are upended.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

*Parse parse parse* I have to admit while chasing down that link, I was very confused and amazed. I know the name Diane Duane, and her Cats of Grand Central. Somehow I think my first exposure to her was something that started as fanfiction that actually was picked up by a star trek publisher. (Novels:"Dreadnought and Battlestations") Not sure I really should dive FURTHER down that rabbit hole until after I actually finish reading the original author's stories about that city and his primary viewpoint character.
NO QUARTER!

(01-19-2020, 01:53 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: *Parse parse parse*  I have to admit while chasing down that link, I was very confused and amazed.  I know the name Diane Duane, and her Cats of Grand Central.  Somehow I think my first exposure to her was something that started as fanfiction that actually was picked up by a star trek publisher.  (Novels:"Dreadnought and Battlestations")  Not sure I really should dive FURTHER down that rabbit hole until after I actually finish reading the original author's stories about that city and his primary viewpoint character.
The Trek novels you're thinking of were by Diane Carey, not Diane Duane. 
Duane's Trek novels included The Wounded Sky, My Enemy My Ally, The Romulan Way, Spock's World, and several more. They are flat-out the best Trek written by anyone ever including any and all TV and movie versions.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

*can only bow to Norway in respect to his superior Trek-Fu*
NO QUARTER!

Ah yes , Duane's Young Wizards books. I recall reading the first 2 of those back in high school (which was the early 90s). It's a neat series. 8)
(01-19-2020, 01:53 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: *Parse parse parse*  I have to admit while chasing down that link, I was very confused and amazed.  I know the name Diane Duane, and her Cats of Grand Central.  Somehow I think my first exposure to her was something that started as fanfiction that actually was picked up by a star trek publisher.  (Novels:"Dreadnought and Battlestations")  Not sure I really should dive FURTHER down that rabbit hole until after I actually finish reading the original author's stories about that city and his primary viewpoint character.
You do realize that any of the Startrek books that were not written out by Gene Roddenberry is Still Fanfiction?  Even if it was written by "Professional Writers". 
It did start out as a Televised Miniseries, One that got Cancelled early in the season even.
(01-20-2020, 06:27 AM)itsune9tl Wrote:
You do realize that any of the Startrek books that were not written out by Gene Roddenberry is Still Fanfiction?  Even if it was written by "Professional Writers". 
It did start out as a Televised Miniseries, One that got Cancelled early in the season even.

This is me, rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off.

As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek canon starts with Duane's novels, and continues on from there to the original televised series and movies.

This is, however, not the most appropriate thread for such discussion.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Four words for you guys.

Recreation Officer Harb Tanzer.

You won't find him anywhere else other than Diane Duane's Trek novels. And yet he is so perfectly in tune with what Star Trek is supposed to be that he might as well be what Diane Duane thought what Gene Roddenberry would be if he was a character in Star Trek. I'd even wager that the Original Series might have hung in there for a bit longer if they had Harb and his Rec Deck.

Oh. And the freakin' Horta who is one of their security officers. Nothing says Fuck You like getting run over by a sapient pile of rubble. TWICE. (Just be glad that you hadn't actually pissed it off, otherwise it would have used the insanely potent acid it uses to move through rock as easily as we move through air. Pretty much nothing gets in the way of a Horta.)
I can't stop laughing at ' if it's not Gene, it's fanfiction.' Sorry itsune.
(01-22-2020, 01:40 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Oh.  And the freakin' Horta who is one of their security officers.  Nothing says Fuck You like getting run over by a sapient pile of rubble.  TWICE.  (Just be glad that you hadn't actually pissed it off, otherwise it would have used the insanely potent acid it uses to move through rock as easily as we move through air.  Pretty much nothing gets in the way of a Horta.)
Isn't the Horta the one with the room that is kept a near solid block of concrete (Nutritionaly Formulated?) by the Shipboard Replicators?
Yeah, Itsune... at least something really close to what you described happens in the first or second Diane Carey books I talk about in the posts above.
NO QUARTER!

(01-22-2020, 11:19 PM)itsune9tl Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 01:40 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Oh.  And the freakin' Horta who is one of their security officers.  Nothing says Fuck You like getting run over by a sapient pile of rubble.  TWICE.  (Just be glad that you hadn't actually pissed it off, otherwise it would have used the insanely potent acid it uses to move through rock as easily as we move through air.  Pretty much nothing gets in the way of a Horta.)
Isn't the Horta the one with the room that is kept a near solid block of concrete (Nutritionaly Formulated?) by the Shipboard Replicators?

I don't quite recall off the top of my head, but that sounds about right for a Horta.  And I think Diane Duane is the only ST writer who's ever bothered to use a Horta in their books.
It is in fact from Diane Duane's Trek books. I know; she's an old friend, as I've mentioned before, and I'm not going to mistake the work of an author I haven't read for hers.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....