Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
RE: Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
(06-04-2020, 01:41 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: ..... Yeah, if there's anyone I'd trust to unfuck the scenarios of Gendo and SEELE, it'd be Tohru.  Hell, given what we've seen of the cosmology from Miss Kobayahsi's Dragon Maid she's probably even read the Dead Sea Scrolls herself a few times.

I wouldn't be surprised if her response to them would be to correct the blatant mistakes and typos.
Just finished the first main story of The End of the Circus:  A Tale of the Yizibajohei:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13657002/1/...-Metahuman

Enjoy!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26534/...the-dragon
Vainqueur the Dragon by Void Herald; 153 chapters.

Vainqueur Knightsbane is your average dragon: a giant, fire-breathing lizard who loves to take naps on his golden hoard, kidnap princesses for fun, and make the life of adventurers miserable. Vainqueur's only pleasure in life is to watch his treasure get bigger, one coin at a time.

So when a would-be thief turned unwilling minion tells him about "classes," "levels," and "quests," Vainqueur wonders if maybe, just maybe, he should consider a career change.

After all, why bother hunting monsters for free when you can get paid for it?
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Completed: Awakening by SweetShireen
https://archiveofourown.org/works/22073215

After his name came out of the Goblet of Fire, Harry woke to a disturbing reality. The wizarding world only saw him as an expendable pawn, his carefree attitude towards studying left him struggling to survive, and he had never truly appreciated the one, constant companion at his side—Hermione Granger. It was high time for change. Gradual Grey!HHR.

Beautiful story with illustrations that help elevate the feelings of key scenes. Highly recommended.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Since Halloween is coming up, a couple of horror one shots set in Harry Potter

Wandmaking by RightWhatisWrong: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13114764/1/Wandmaking

Few wonder. None guess.

The Gods Themselves Cannot Recall Their Gifts by same author:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13302812/1/...heir-Gifts

Just a little window into a world in which the Horcrux experiments went wrong. Or, rather, worked too well.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Reincarnation: May come with teething problems (Exalted) by Drakensis
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...ted.83263/
Slouching Towards Nirvana opens with Taylor's death at the end of Golden Morning, but her spirit is summoned into the spooky poltergeist girl from UA's Class 1-B, who willingly gives over control and draws back to be just a voice in her head after having her confidence severely shaken in the practical entrance exam. Naturally, shenanigans ensue.

"Y'know, I didn't think I'd really like a "Taylor in another setting" story this much, but this one has really grown on me. I'm seriously enjoying this read." - Vanbers on SB

Worm/My Hero Acadamia if you didn't catch that already, ~160k words in 38 chapters.

Also, you'll want this for Ch28.

edit: While complete and reasonably satisfying as is, I will note that it is a "The end of book one" type of complete, with the resolution being of Taylor's character arc rather than setting events as such.

Another comment from the SB thread, after Ch38:
"I appreciate that a majority of the negative aspects of the front half of this story exist purely because Taylor is a paranoid unreliable narrator. You did a really good job of showcasing the mental contamination from Taylor when looking at the setting, enough so that I was starting to get genuinely frustrated, and it made the satisfaction and release when everything started to turn around and Taylor realized she was being kind of a bitch one thousand percent better." - BowlerHatGuy
--
‎noli esse culus
(02-17-2021, 04:59 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Slouching Towards Nirvana opens with Taylor's death at the end of Golden Morning, but her spirit is summoned into the spooky poltergeist girl from UA's Class 1-B, who willingly gives over control and draws back to be just a voice in her head after having her confidence severely shaken in the practical entrance exam. Naturally, shenanigans ensue.

Okay... I've read through this twice since this was posted. Excellent fic. Eagerly awaiting the next volume.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
At the end of June, the Lord of the Rings mega-fic Sansûkh posted its final chapters, just over eight years after it began and almost four years after its last major update (the Battle of Bywater and the general Scouring of the Shire).

determamfidd Wrote:The battle was over, and Thorin Oakenshield awoke, naked and shivering, in the Halls of his Ancestors.

The novelty of being dead fades quickly, and watching over his companions soon fills him with grief and guilt. Oddly, a faint flicker of hope arises in the form of his youngest kinsman, a Dwarf of Durin's line with bright red hair.

(Follows the story of the War of the Ring).

(Bagginshield, Gimli/Legolas) In which recovery takes time, the dead members of the Company take to watching Gimli as though he’s a soap opera, the living struggle with being left behind, Legolas is confused, Khuzdul is abused, and Thorin is four feet and ten inches of guilt and anger..

CW: Proves love real in ways that I can only hope the Old Philologist would have learned to live with.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/855528...rs/1637607
https://archiveofourown.org/works/317459..._445533613
Mutually Assured Destruction (Naruto).

A Sakura-centric time loop one-shot.
Quote: It starts when she dies. Or maybe it ends.

Either way, Sakura runs out of chakra, bleeds out in the water, and drowns.

Then she’s back across the river, desperately dodging the giant overcompensating sword of doom that’s trying to steal her chakra. The sun is higher in the sky, her chakra isn’t completely gone, and she’s even more or less in one piece.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
A great My Hero Academia one-shot. Very funny.

Steal Me Away:

Quirkless people are frequently kidnapped. Midoriya Izuku has always been an overachiever, in all ways.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/345698..._476805307
A story I discovered recently, currently on chapter 20 of 145, but I'm enjoying it so far

Dial
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...si.659053/
It's an SI into the MCU, with the SI getting an Omnitrix (from Ben 10)
He arrives in the MCU's New York just after Avengers 1, and as of where I'm at they have greatly altered the events of Winter Soldier, and the story is dealing with the fallout of Hydra's infiltration of SHIELD being revealed among other things.
The Importance of Imaginitive Flexibility (Calvin & Hobbes/Stargate Atlantis).

No matter how little we desire it, someday every wild, creative, imaginative child must grow up. Well, he's gotta get taller. There ain't a damned thing anyone can do if he refuses to completely mature. And there are some places, some jobs, some lives, where a little imaginative flexibility can be an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

Calvin, accompanied as ever by Hobbes, may just find such a place.

https://archiveofourown.org/collections/...ks/7464159
CleverlyClearly Wrote:"Murder is like potato chips: you can't stop with just one." - Stephen King

Welcome to Monokumaland, the Unhappiest Place on Earth! Sixteen students from various worlds have been trapped inside an amusement park at the whims of its sinister (yet strangely cuddly) mascot, and the only way out is to get away with murder!

That was the scene in California's Mojave Desert summary on AO3 five years ago, the historic beginning of Danganronpa: Teenage Wasteland. According to the full-page index, it's been a little over two years since the last update CHAPTER 4: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful -- Everyday Life (Part 2).

Today, CleverlyClearly Wrote:I am sorry to say that Danganronpa: Teenage Wasteland is officially canceled. While I can't say what is going to happen in the future, or if I will ever return to it, I no longer have any motivation to continue working on the series. I'm just not in the same place that I was five years ago.

However, I am truly grateful for the amount of enthusiasm that this series has gotten. I feel bad for abandoning it and leaving it hanging towards the end. I think that, even if the series is not going to get a thoroughly fleshed-out final third, at the very least I can write out what would have happened. So, the following final chapter will be a collection of my rough draft notes for the final two chapters and the epilogue of the story. I know it isn't much, but I hope this can provide some closure regardless.

It's hard to say how much those notes constitute a spoiler, given the extent to which they rely on knowledge of the previous chapters, so I recommend taking the King of Hearts' advice: begin at the beginning, and go on 'til you come to the end, then stop.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/147172...s/34014597

Assuming you read it at all, that is: like any fangan, it has warnings for graphic depictions of violence and major character death. (I've sometimes thought of launching a thread just for fics that a forum member wants to recommend but recognizes might not be to literally anyone else's taste: a Dead Dove Locker, so to speak.)
The Lost Audience, in which the Twelfth Doctor experiences a sequel to one of the Seventh's adventures. It was posted, all at once according to the full-page index, on May 24, but I've been getting updates about it at intervals for a while, and I know for a fact that the last two chapters weren't there yet when I broke down and read the first nine yesterday.

RobertSaysThis Wrote:Sometimes, an old foe invites The Doctor to dinner. And – if he’s very lucky – it’s just a trap.

Because if it isn’t, he might have to make conversation.

Then what he’s running from may come to Light.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/47396023
From AO3, two one-shots and a five-parter whose parts were all posted on the same day, maybe even at the same time, in different areas of the "anthropomorphic animal superhero comics" space.

In 2016, DaibhidC Wrote:In the great tradition of fake comic book crossovers, the {Justa Lotta Animals;Scavengers} face a team of opponents like no-one they've seen before ... and yet who seem strangely familiar.

For the benefit of anyone to whom it's not obvious, Crisis on Earth C Minus and Earth C Plus Plus! and The Coming of ... The Squadrupeds Supreme! are respectively homages to Justice League of America #87 (first appearance of the Champions of Angor, later known as the Retaliators) and The Avengers #85 (first appearance of the Squadron Supreme). Further information is squeezed so those who don't need it don't have to waste time reading it.

A few years later, the same author returned to that well, and that's really what drew me here. (Context: Captain Carrot and His Amazing ZOO CREW! was the first comic I ever collected on a regular basis, and the issue of Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham shown on the character's Wikipedia page looks like one I was given while recovering from my first bout with juvenile epilepsy in 1986.)

Quote:At some point between The Oz-Wonderland War and The Final Ark, Captain Carrot again finds himself transported to another world, where he meets ... Captain Carrot?

He called it The Crisis Convergence of Countless Captain Carrots!, but it's also got several iterations of Hoppy the Marvel Bunny, plus Atomic Rabbit
A single chapter piece.

What Happens in Vegas . . . (Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Jem and the Holograms/G.I. Joe)
Quote:Nancy and her friends are in Vegas on a case investigating some shady insurance claims by Eric Raymond. Somehow, she's not surprised to find Frank and Joe in the same city on a related case.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/49532737
-Now available with copious trivia!
So... I've just finished reading the extant material in a Worm AU called A Darker Path. (I've been reading the copy posted on Sufficient Velocity, but I am given to understand that it's also at SpaceBattles, Fanfiction.net and QQ.) While incomplete, it's still very active, with a new chapter being posted every few weeks. Basic gist of the story: Instead of Queen Administrator, Taylor's trigger instead nets her a "spoilsport" shard tossed into the Earth Bet mix by a third party -- and that shard is Path To Ending. In short, if it can die, she can end it -- and it's not just limited to killing living things. She can end legacies, reputations, economic conditions and more... but she hits the scene like a bomb when she simply appears, kills Oni Lee, and tells the supervillains of Brockton Bay that they are going to surrender to the PRT, leave the city... or die.

I don't want to say more because spoilers, but there are some unmitigated moments of pure awesome (and more than a few awful puns).

Highly recommended.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
It's also worth noting that Path to Ending has a twisted sense of humour.
That it does, as does Taylor, and they both appreciate each other's idea of irony and hilarity.

EDIT: And I just want to add that Doug would have given anything to be there for the Simurgh.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
A Darker Path has damn near weaponized puns.
SEZ
BZG
And I just realized I put this rec in the wrong thread entirely -- it shouldn't be in the topic for completed fics, as it isn't. Sorry, folks.
-- Bob

I was wondering when you would notice... Tongue
Before there was Shattered Skies: The Morning Lights (albeit not much before), there was Stars Above, the Lucky Star/PMMM crossover we didn't know we needed.

AshenDream and BHS Wrote:Two very different worlds collide: the world of ordinary high-school girl Kagami Hiiragi and the world of Puella Magi Homura Akemi. An impossible bond begins to form between them, but will the demons of Homura's past ever let them be friends at all, let alone anything more? Kagami/Homura, Tsukasa/Miyuki. Rated M: violence, yuri shipping, sexual content and themes, disturbing imagery.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/979513

It spawned two side stories, telling what happened to some of the other Puellae Magi in the last days of their world, and a database of the Demons that are the main story's big bads (similar to the Shattered Skies side-story Viluy's Database).
Best First
by SkyShadow

Finding himself at the mercy of Optimus Prime, Thundercracker bargains with the only thing that he has to offer: a story. It is a tale from a time when the Autobots were led by an Iaconian lawman named Sentinel Prime.