Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Thread of Awesome: THIS! IS!! QUOTEFILE!!!
RE: Thread of Awesome: THIS! IS!! QUOTEFILE!!!
Its the Eva re's and ideas thread so take that for what its worth
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

People are going to have to only agree to things for the next several weeks, because I am using all the no. The entire world’s supply of nope.

I will do many things that I’ll regret, before my work is done.

Death came looking for a fight.

- all three from LuxSola's notes dump after the abrupt ending of Spark
SB threadmsrks link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...egory_id=1
--
‎noli esse culus
More "Thread of Funny" than "Thread of Awesome": Mouseover text for xkdc 2105, "Modern OSI Model".
Quote:In retrospect, I shouldn't have used each layer of the OSI model as one of my horcruxes.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
"Everything seemed to be fine, but it was Brockton Bay. Nothing was fine. We’ve just gotten used to it."

This is more relevant to my life tan I prefer to think about most of the time... as with many of us, I suspect.

Source:
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-54799630
--
‎noli esse culus
Situation Normal: All Fucked Up.
Magical Girl Lyrical Taylor Wrote:Myrddin glanced at Tagg. “I’m a wizard, not a Tinker,” he replied. “Magic is an exact science. I can’t just bullshit my way into results.”
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I know quite a few who would claim the reverse... *Sncker*
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
"if you can't trust Spiderman with a rubber chicken, who can you trust?" - AngelWings on SV

I think this one is better without context, really.
--
‎noli esse culus
An oldie (and incomplete) but a goodie: Nanoha Takamachi and the Wizarding World, Chapter 7

Quote:"Never underestimate the strength of organization. Any thinking creature knows that to attack any of you is to invite the wrath of aurors or worse. Does anyone here seriously think they can offer a scarier threat than an auror? Miss Takamachi, please put your hand down."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't really understand quantum mechanics. There are perhaps a double handful of people for whom this is not true, but they're all mathematicians and also understand statistical significance." - my nephew's geology professor
--
‎noli esse culus
Quote:A dead enemy is unlikely to tell you what you need to know.

When you observe something that isn't there, you can be confident you're failing to observe something that is.

Always listen attentively, especially to liars, for, by definition, they know the truth.

Temper is the life of the sword but the death of the swordsman.

The man you should fear is the man you have frightened.
All of the above are attributed to "H.B.C. Findlay," in historical novel Raider's Moon by Alexander Knox.  They appear as chapter epigraphs; Findlay is the protagonist's supervisor and arguably his mentor.

Quote:If your enemy comes to speak bearing a sword, open your door to him and speak, but keep your own sword at hand.  If he comes to you empty-handed, greet him the same way.  But if he comes to you bearing gifts, stand upon your walls and cast stones down on him.  
The Book of the Aedon

He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder. — Qanuc saying

If the bears do not eat you, it is home.  — Qanuc saying
These three are from The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams.  Usires Aedon was, in-story, the equivalent of Jesus Christ, so The Book of the Aedon is effectively the Bible.

-----
“We’ve had our differences, but he’s seen the light … and I made sure he moved toward it, instead of coming back.”
Quote:“We are not going to charge at the warlord of Hell,” Trissiny thundered, drawing her lips back in an animal snarl. She brandished her blade and burst alight, golden wings flaring. “WE GO THROUGH HIM!”

Guys, seriously... read The Gods Are Bastards. It's really good.
Well, that is the sort of thing you want to hear come from a palladin's mouth when they can actually back it up.
(08-14-2019, 03:53 PM)hazard Wrote: Well, that is the sort of thing you want to hear come from a palladin's mouth when they can actually back it up.
Not if you are the warlord that paladin plans to go through.  Or somebody the Lawful Stupid jerk mistook for the warlord.  Really, I've had enough bad experiences trying to work with paladins that I don't want to be within hearing range of any of them even if I'm not the guy they want to kill.

-----
Up, lad, up!  We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!
A fair complaint, but I adhere quite closely to the idea that a palladin isn't supposed to be 'lawful and good' but 'Good and lawful', so if someone really is Lawful Stupid and a jerk they're not likely to stay a palladin for long.
(08-14-2019, 04:54 PM)DHBirr Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 03:53 PM)hazard Wrote: Well, that is the sort of thing you want to hear come from a palladin's mouth when they can actually back it up.
Not if you are the warlord that paladin plans to go through.  Or somebody the Lawful Stupid jerk mistook for the warlord.  Really, I've had enough bad experiences trying to work with paladins that I don't want to be within hearing range of any of them even if I'm not the guy they want to kill.

-----
Up, lad, up!  We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!
Having played the other side (Thief Assassin) assigned to remove a Paladin. I have yet to actually Kill one during an adventure, they usually die because they were using inappropriate armor and weapons for the environment they ended up fighting in. I ended up getting paid (oddly enough by both sides) for recovering the armor, weapon, and if I was lucky most of the head on the way back.

It's like they make you the Holy Might of <benevalent god of the week>, send you out to Smite some Evil Power, and you forget that you have a wisdom score.
That's because paladins don't run on Wisdom, they run on Charisma.
I had a friend whose Paladin once, eager to join a fight on the shore hopped over the side of the boat in plate armor, while forgetting we weren't tied up to a dock.
*sploosh!* glub, glub, glub Tongue
Interestingly enough, it's actually possible to swim in plate armour.

Of course, you kinda want to put points in swim. Plate armour's heavy and doesn't float that well.
It didn't help that he was a dwarf. 8P
I've never played a Paladin, but my favorite was the one who multi-classed in from Barbarian -- Bazhell Banakhson.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(08-15-2019, 01:34 AM)itsune9tl Wrote:

-----
Having played the other side (Thief Assassin) assigned to remove a Paladin. I have yet to actually Kill one during an adventure, they usually die because they were using inappropriate armor and weapons for the environment they ended up fighting in. I ended up getting paid (oddly enough by both sides) for recovering the armor, weapon, and if I was lucky most of the head on the way back.

It's like they make you the Holy Might of <benevalent god of the week>, send you out to Smite some Evil Power, and you forget that you have a wisdom score.

Well, to be honest, "paladin" in The Gods Are Bastards are a little more freeform than D&D paladins, as well as being more toward the generic "holy warrior" that I wish D&D would get off their ass and make paladins into, instead of the BS
"Paladins must be LG" stupidity. (Yes, I know there have been alternate rules in various versions of D&D; it just doesn't seem to stick.) And much of Trissiny's part of the story is her going from Lawful Stupid/Lawful Intolerant to actual Lawful Good.

-----

which is when both the Rules of Evil Overlordage, and the Deflect Charge Skill come into play, DH
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Tell me, have you ever heard the story of Darth Custodian the Humble? It's not a tale the Jedi would tell you.

But it is kriffing awesome.
--
‎noli esse culus
Humans are awsome, and scary.