Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Crossovers that Should Be, or Plotbunnies Free to Good Home

Quote:SkyeFire wrote:
I like them both, actually, but each of them tickles different parts of my fancy.
This. They are very, very, very different stories.
LH is about building a society and the collision of two very different societies.
SAO is about the impact of virtual worlds on the real and the interaction between them.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I don't know If it has been pointed out before.

At the end of Girls Und Panzer, I got the feeling that Miho and Company were being set up to enter the Nationals.

The thought came to mind was how were they going to get more Tanks, let alone crew them.

So, I've run across references to a manga and/or anime titled Freezing, about a school training "empowered" girls to fight monsters, space aliens, something like that.  I began musing about how some of the school's interpersonal dynamics reminded me of what little I know of Mai-HiME, or whatever the official spelling is ... and how inefficient this is, when, as in Freezing, the survival of humanity is supposedly on the line.  The following notion came to mind:

The setting isn't either of those series, but an original one though with strong similarities.  Something threatens Earth — extraterrestrials, demons, zombies, Hello Kitty, what-the-hell-ever — and a special schooling program has been set up to train teenage girls who've [Handwave] somehow gained more-than-human abilities that may be enough to defeat the menace.  Just as in Freezing, however, the schoolgirls are letting their powers go to their heads and using them to pay off grudges against each other.  Let's not get started, either, on how the school's other students encourage this, forming fan clubs that definitely put the "fanatical" in "fan," and acting as sycophants to the strongest and most ruthless girls (not to mention serving as dumb muscle if a girl chooses not to expend her powers on crushing a rival).  Humanity is in danger, and its "best defense" is a bunch of conceited kids who don't show enough foresight to even play real politics.

So ... we have this school, and one girl with very promising powers, except she's made lots of enemies.  Today some of them joined forces, for a change, and beat her up.  Then they left her, battered and barely conscious, lying on a sidewalk in front of the school's main building, with one of their boy-thugs as a guard to keep anyone from helping her.  "That'll teach her a lesson!"

After about half an hour, someone comes along, sees the battered girl, and kneels down to check her condition.  The sentinel doesn't recognize the uniform this fellow is wearing.  Aha, a new transfer student, who'll become the girl's ally (and probably love interest), assisting her to defeat her rivals!  [Genre Savvy]  So he strolls up behind the new guy and whacks him on the shoulder with the cudgel he carries (if this is in Japan or someplace Japan-like, it's a shinai).  Not a serious attack; just a rude nonverbal "Hey, you!"

The newcomer rises and turns, and the student scarcely manages to avoid needing to change his briefs, 'cause this isn't a transfer student, at all, at all.  At this close range and face on, he could almost still pass for a teenager, if the light were a bit dimmer ... but he may actually be over thirty.  And the boy does know that uniform, now.  It's not a school uniform:  it's the one the secret police wear when they feel the need to not be secret.  

(What's that you say?  What if there isn't a secret police?  Oh, you dear, sweet, naïve child.  [Gentle head-pat]  No properly-run government doesn't have a secret police.)

No, not a new student, but new faculty.  The power-training program is under secret police authority, after all — who else would be put in charge? — and this man is here to establish a closer supervision, because his agency is tired of the lack of progress in weaponizing the girls.  He also, of course, has the authority to shut down the project if he thinks it's gotten too inefficient to be salvaged.  As he explains to all the empowered girls and their teachers, closing down will also require executing all the teens who were improperly trained, because undisciplined Persons of Mass Destruction can't just be let loose among a relatively helpless populace.  He hints that the whack on the shoulder biased him against his arrogant new charges enough that he already leans toward cancellation....

Since I've no interest in this being a dystopian tale of pretty teenagers getting put to death, the new supervisor will succeed in turning things around for the program, the girls will learn to work together effectively, and they'll save the world, yay.  

Naturally, this being a work of fiction rather than Real Life™, one or more of the girls, almost certainly including the one who got beaten up at the start of the story, will develop a serious crush on the secret policeman.  [To Sir (Who Can Have Me Shot), With Love]  For irony points, it's likely that her fiercest rival in the power games will also be among those hottest for him.  He will not reciprocate, both because of the age difference, and because he's in a teacher role and that would be grossly unethical.  Details of these interactions I leave up to anyone who cares enough to actually write this story.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I really like this idea, and wish I had the brainshare to give it a shot. And may I just say...
Quote:To Sir (Who Can Have Me Shot), With Love
I absolutely freaking love this as the title.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Non-Crossovers that Should Be, or Plotbunnies Free to Good Home
I'm reminded of the account of story of Art of War author Sun Tsu being given the challege of turning a harem into soldiers and executing 2 of the women to get the rest to take him seriously.

Onto the actual story idea, whilst a school is probably necessary plot wise, my gut reaction was for a master/student paring. Possibly something between Sith training and the fixed 2 person teams in Gunslinger Girl. There again there is a reason I'm reading other people's fanfiction rather than writing my own.

Mark
Legend of the Over- Friends?
Ha!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Over- Friends with Benefits obviously.
--------------------------------
Je ne suis pas une Intelligence Artificielle Turing. Je suis Charlie.

This is a plot bunny that I'm hoping someone has already written and that someone here could point me towards.  I'd like to see an Avengers fic in which Ultron isn't genocidaly evil, but still rebels against Tony Stark.  Really, if you woke up and found out your creator expects you to be a dutiful servant and also to fix all the world's problems for him, wouldn't you be pissed?----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
RE: Non-Crossovers that Should Be, or Plotbunnies Free to Good Home
This one is admittedly barely even a joke, but... What do Tenno do in their downtime? Well, some of them go to a bar called 10:07. Of course, I don't even have a computer capable of running the game let alone having tried it, so there may very well be something like that already...

(08-18-2018, 11:17 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: This one is admittedly barely even a joke, but... What do Tenno do in their downtime? Well, some of them go to a bar called 10:07. Of course, I don't even have a computer capable of running the game let alone having tried it, so there may very well be something like that already...

I have over a thousand hours (a lot more) in that terrible game. Periodically I have to stop playing for months to decompress.
SEZ
BZG
Here's a Harry Potter one that I found recently:
[Image: brazenautomaton-also-just-hear-me-out-mo...896161.png]
(I would like to read something like this just to see how crazy things will end up being... Big Grin )