Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Crossovers that Should Be, or Plotbunnies Free to Good Home

Worm has captured my attention recently, so.

Shortly after Annette's death, Danny just can't take it anymore. Maybe he's walking home drunk one night and gets hit by a car, or a ganger. Or maybe he just has a heart attack or suicides. In either case, it's at least a year or more before Taylor started high school.

Which means she has little objection to being adopted by Alan Barnes and becoming Emma's sister. The two of them are raised together, are even more inseparable than before. And they're both present when Alan takes his little wrong turn into ABB territory. 

What happens next? Does Taylor trigger, trying to save Emma? Or vice-versa? Or both? Or do they give Sophia enough inspiration to jump in and save them? 

How does Taylor's moral center suffer from the loss of Danny? Is she closer to Emma in attitude, more vulnerable to Sophia's worldview? Or does she become a stabilizing influence on them both? If the three become a team, do we end up with a darker and edgier Team Samaritans, or would Sophia's view win out in the end?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
It occurred to me just now, reading A Place to Call Home, that the HP prophecy would make a lot more sense if Sibyl's nature as a drama queen and Dumbledore's desperate hope for some clue to a victory made him misinterpret the actual words spoken - "Neither can leave while the other survives." Harry can't just pack up and leave for greener pastures, because Voldie can't stand to allow someone to have defeated him even temporarily to pass, and Harry would be compelled to chase after Voldishorts if he left Britain alone to build his power base elsewhere.
Or, something that explains both Harry's love life and Voldie's increasing frustration: "love".

Heh, that's a little more difficult to explain away as misheard lyrics, though.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

There's next to nothing in Potter canon about anything magical at all between acnient Egypt and Merlin - all I can think of off the top of my head is Ollivander's sign dating wand construction to 4BCE. At the same time, we're presented with the horcrux, supposedly a bit of otherwise lost Egyptian lore, Britain, a princedom in Africa, and Europe as the only places even mentioned as having magical societies, and without calling it out as such some rather flexible notions of historical accuracy and noteability... well, what if the reason is that some ancient Egyptian dark wizard pulled off what Voldie was trying, and succeeded for something like 3500 years, until Merlin knocked him off? Such a reign would drop the world population of mages precipitously, and the muggles being at best static and falling into the Dark Age would be no surprise either. Then, much like no-one being willing to say or write the word "Voldemort" or RL Pharoh Akenaton, every trace they could find was eradicated, in hopes of simply removing that stain on the pages of history.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how to tie it in to be relevant to a modern story...

Edit to avoid double-post:
Kingdom of Ice-Elation - The world is not so peaceful, and Elsa's ludicrously powerful ice magic is revealed to save Arendelle from a surprise attack during her coronation. War is seldom won so simply, however, and Anna was captured before the enemies were repulsed. Now hailed as a hero, Elsa must become a warrior queen and safeguard her people despite a lack of training for military arts, while somehow rescuing her sister as well.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

So, Prince Hans comes in not with a political plan to take the kingdom, but a military one? Interesting... presumably he's using mercenary forces or has somehow gotten the help of a neighboring regime that doesn't like Arendelle for some reason, but where does he get the resources to pay or bribe his way into getting those forces? Presumably as 13th brother he doesn't have significant royal assets to draw on -- plus his brothers would probably have noticed and quashed the plan. So how has he raised the money he needs? Answer that, and you might be three-quarters of the way to a proper plot...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Perhaps we can take a page from the plot of The Mask of Zorro. Say that Hans's loyal cronies discovered gold and he's been secretly having it mined, smelted, and minted. This would give him all the resources he needs to do whatever he wants, including raise an army to stage a coup within his own kingdom (real quick and quiet-like even), and then set upon Arendelle.

Maybe a deal with Weaseltown Wesselton.  Hans conquers Arendelle and Wesselton gets a good trade deal/important resources .

Both of those would work better than either alone, I think - he'd need to already have a convincing level of strength to get Wesselton to sign on to act as the forward staging area, I expect. It also gives several stages of opposition in order to give the action some depth - first foiling the initial attack, then driving them out of Wesselton and taking the place themselves to not have a dagger at their side, then needing to project force to the islands, discovering that Price Schmuckface actually launched a coup there (meaning they aren't supporting his scheme in any fashion) as well to try to consolidate some power and avoid total destruction, then locate and cut off his source of resources and catch him personally. And rescue Anna, somewhere in there, who may or may not have been Stockholm'ed along the way.
--

Oh, nice point -- Hans is good at looking like the hero, he'd certainly have an entire scenario set up to convince Anna he's on the side of the angels, and it'd only need a little tweaking to fit in "Elsa The Ice Monster"
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Of course, that facade can be blown wide open if Anna ever hears from some of the locals how Prince Hans ordered a brutal execution of his entire family. This way you'd have Anna experiencing the same horrified realization that her beau is a complete monster.

She's a (modern) formula Spunky Heroine - it would be less horrified realization that everything she knew was wrong, and more facing up to all of the justifications she'd made/accepted for what he was doing were thin at best and mostly outright false, followed by not-so-comedic violence and playing a major role in her own rescue/the final takedown of Hans. The two sisters each having their own storyline (interwoven with the other) to be protagonist of is one of the things that's really nice about Frozen rather than one being solely relegated to a plot token marked "damsel, one, distressed." It would be a shame to lose that just because Elsa got the better iconic musical number.
--

.... Fun thought: Rapunzel cameoed in that film. Now I can't help but have mental imagery of one person storming the gates be a certain danger-princess with short-cropped brown hair, a wicked way with a rope... and a frying pan.

Remember that little old miner dude Ryoga learned the Shishi Hokodan from? What if he came to check out the situation, after the big fight with Ranma at the end of that story arc? He's got enough skill to use ki on that level, even if he didn't consider himself a martial artist IIRC. He'd probably also be dissappointed in Ryoga for using a technique of desperation intended to save lives during a cave-in as a weapon, but absolutely furious with Ranma's revision, that turns it from a last resort based on despair, so it can only be used to full effect when you're sure you're going to lose, into a tool of conquest based on confidence, that can only be used when you're sure you're going to win. Looked at that way, it's actually even more reprehensible than Genma's Thousand Fist techniques, developed from the tactics of a sneak thief and a marauding thug respectively. Given that he's a little old teacher from a martial arts comedy manga, he'd be sure to have some "teachable moment" worthy punishment to inflict, and almost anything that breaks the Prime Time Directive in Ranma 1/2 (without being "add more of the same" I mean, since that's pretty much part of that property's PTD) is better than canon.
--

So, another HP one I kicked around before settling on the one I'm working on at the moment.

What if Tom Riddle grew up in a loving home?

This could go one of two ways.

1.Tom the elder reacts more calmly to the whole "love potion" thing -maybe it turns out they're not all that powerful and she'd have got roughly the same effect from expensive lingerie and a few bottles of wine- and they manage to stay married.

2. Tom the elder is accosted by a time-travelling Harry Potter, who's armed with several Penseive memories and possibly a sockful of marbles, and is persuaded to take responsibility for his only son.

Either of these options results in Tom being a well cared-for child from a stable and caring family environment... but they don't necessarily make him normal or right in the head. Sure, growing up in a Dr Barnado's home wasn't necessarily ideal, but plenty of people come out of that environment and go on to be sane and well-adjusted adults. If you think you can pull off writing a preteen high-functioning sociopath, this is the plotbunny for you!

Engaging Crack Mode

Fuyutski pinched the bridge of his nose, wishing with an intensity that rivaled his yearning for long-lost Yui that he could unsee what he was seeing. But since he couldn't... "Rei."
"Yes Vice-Commander."
"This represents a severe blow to the Scenario."
"I did not anticipate that the Commander's request for my assistance in erotic asphyx--"
"No, Rei, it's not -- it's not your fault. But we will have to activate the spare."
"Spare?"
"Yes. Commander Ikari made contingency plans for even for most unlikely of... contingencies. Including his own demise. I will need you to... recruit his replacement. Let me get you the file."
"Yes Vice-Commander."

Shinji entered his father's office, trying not to cringe. He had no idea why he was here, he simply knew that he hadn't seen his father around NERV in some time, and was actually happier that way. And ashamed of himself for being happy. And angry for being ashamed. And--
A familiar voice broke his vicious spiral of thought. "Shinji. Step forward."
"Bwha--! Who? K-KENSUKE!?!?"
"You may address me as 'Commander.' Any other name or title is now... irrelevant to the Scenario."
"But... but... but... WHY are you commanding NERV now?"
Kensuke leaned forward in Big Chair, striking the Gendo Pose at just the correct angle for the reflections in his eyeware to turn the lenses opaque. "Because GLASSES."

No, I have NO IDEA where this came from, but once it crawled out of the Lovecraftian depths of my deep subconscious, it refused to be exorcised without being shared. Sort of like Ringu. Enjoy. Smile

I'm wondering what happens in the HP verse when cellphones, especially ones with cameras become common. Can the Oblivators keep up with the advances in communication technology?

In a world where Muggle technology has outpaced the Wizengamot's ability to keep up their critical Masquerade, there is only one Witch the Wizarding World can turn to in hope of keeping their existence secret: Hermione Grainger, TechnoMancer Extraordinaire!

So was talking to a friend, and a cross between 'what I was playing' and 'what he was talking about' lead to this random idea.
Matou Shinji summons is summoning his hero for the Grail War... and get's the lucky person who 'domesticated' the first Mind Worm boil ever. From the far future of Alpha Centauri. Will they bond over worms, or will he find his brain eaten?
Either that or replace the Crest Worms with Mind Worms and see if anyone notices.

Well, the person who's most likely to be the first to domesticate a Mind Worm boil is... a Gaian. And Gaians would probably rather strenously object about some/most of the crap Nasu's magi involve themselves in. However, at the same time Earth is not Planet, and it lacks the extensive infrastructure Planet used to maintain its armies of Mind Worms, so the Clocktower might survive, even if Zouken probably won't. Or Shinji, if he gets too annoying/offensive.

Jinx999 Wrote:I'm wondering what happens in the HP verse when cellphones, especially ones with cameras become common. Can the Oblivators keep up with the advances in communication technology?
This is a key plot point in the infamous Andrew Blake's A Peccatis (the in-progress conclusion to the Neville-centric trilogy that began with Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness). Justin Finch-Fletchley (who still has contacts on the Muggle side) tells Neville that Muggles are starting to notice (for instance) the GPS anomalies caused by Unplottable locations.

A lot of Komarrans hold a grudge against Barrayar for conquering them, forgetting or ignoring that they brought it on themselves by sharp practice and treachery.  But never mind that; something more important has come up.
A Komarran investigative reporting team has found evidence of two, make that three, shocking facts about the Barrayaran invasion: 

1.  It got a lot of covert support and planning guidance from ... ... the Combined Command Staff on "culturally significant but militarily unimportant" Earth.  The place may still be balkanized, but Terrans can work together for something that affects the planet as a whole, and the CCS is a collection of the most icily Machiavellian military brains "the Mother of Men" boasts.  Some of them would've given Reinhard Heydrich nightmares.  Komarr's trade gouging didn't just put a hurt on Barrayar, it was pushing Holy Mother Terra to the brink of worldwide depression.  Something had to be done about, or to, Komarr.  Barrayar was the cat's-paw, because the Barrayarans did after all have their own good reasons to want to wale on Komarr. 

2.  The Solstice Massacre, likewise, was ordered by Earth, not anyone on Barrayar.  Komarran businesses needed to be cut back, not just put under Barrayaran oversight, so the CCS ordered the murders with the full intention that it'd turn the conquest into a guerrilla war that'd keep Komarr and Barrayar both occupied for a decade or two to come.  The Political Officer who gave the orders on scene was Barrayaran born and bred, yes, but his loyalty had long ago been transferred to Terra.

3.  That was the soft option.  If the Terrans had had to do the job of taking Komarr down all by their lonesomes, well ... they couldn't garrison the planet effectively, it's at the end of too long a string of wormhole jumps.  So instead of conquering and administering the planet, the Terran Plan B was to crack open most or all of the habitat domes, killing the overwhelming majority of the Komarran populace.  A pity, but they were in Terra's way.

I have no preconceptions as to where this story should go from here, except that any action which harms Terran interests is of course unacceptable, and anyone proposing to write such a tale will be liquidated by CCS fiat.  Frankly, I just enjoyed the thought of the Komarrans' horror as they realize Barrayar isn't nearly as much to blame for the whole mess as they'd thought.

Yes, I was in a very bad, very mean and evil mood when I wrote this.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Wow... it's like those guys are just begging for a rock drop, Gundam style. (Maybe even Dragonlance style, if the Plan B had gone through.)

Maps of the continent of Taladas, roughly at the antipodes from Ansalon:

[Image: 14559_preview.jpg]
before

http://taladas.free.fr/images/taladas_bon_1033x788.jpg
after

Trail and annoyingly many errors edits: Image made into link to avoid sideways scrolling
--

Does anyone know of a fanfic where Hinata is successfully kidnapped by Hidden Cloud, and ends up being raised by A and/or B?

I only recall two, both short one-shots and both rather dark, so not what you're looking for even if I could remember identifying details to search for. Her eyes had been taken for implanting in both of them, in one she was trained like a pampered pet and happy to be in captivity with the best, strongest ninja to be her lovers and no need to worry that her children would be given less than the best care and training, in the other she wasn't treated so well and escaped, to be found by Team Kakashi on the way back from Wave, because she knew she was preggers (they waited long enough for it to be survivable, her recovering to be physically capable afterward was not needed or desired) and didn't want her kid(s) to live in that kind of situation. They were by the same author IIRC and one was "Hinata's Happy Ending" or some similar BS, I don't recall even that much about the second. One of those people with an irrational hatred of her for "being a creepy coward stalker."
--

As a sort of amends for the viciousness of my last suggestion, consider a story set in Aria, before Alice, Aika, and Akari graduated to Prima.
The focus is a visitor from Manhome, not just a tourist but a businessman whose work brings him to Neo-Venezia a lot.  Still, almost if not every trip, he makes time for at least one tour with an undine -- nearly always a different undine, because he wants to enjoy the city from a new perspective each time.  He's been making these visits for long enough that he rode with "Grandma" back before she retired ... maybe even when she was still with Himeya Company.  

He's not one of the difficult customers; this is as laid-back and cheerfully undramatic an episode as any in the canon, and his personality is rather like a male version of Alicia's and Akari's, though he could have daughters their age (and perhaps he does).  Humor may result if Aika is mortified to catch herself starting to tell him that embarrassing remarks aren't allowed.

He also provides a bit more fleshing-out of what Earth is like in the 24th Century.  He comes from the Submarine Kingdom of the Netherlands -- sea levels were rising so much a century or two ago that the Dutch realized that they couldn't make the dikes high enough for much longer.  So they roofed the polders over with transparent high-strength materials, and at least half of the country is warm and dry under a meter or three of seawater.  They were so proud of that accomplishment that, yes, they formally added "submarine" to the name of their nation.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.