Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossovers that Should Be: Super Double Bonus Round

The major problem with trying to confront and overcome the assorted badness of the Warhammer 40K setting is the corrupting, madness-inducing effects of the Warp, and of its creatures such as daemons. There are quite a few crossover candidates who would have the power and inclination to do quite a bit of good if brought into that setting, except that the effects of the Warp and its associated Chaos would be very likely to drag them down and make them part of the problem.

Those who can walk the Pattern of Amber, at will and without difficulty, would very likely be immune to those effects.

(So would Andor-Drakon and his underlings, but only by virtue of being even more intimately Chaos than the Warhammer setting knows about. He would be at least as likely to make things worse as better.)

You know, I would so love to read a fic where the Chaos gods of Warhammer do their worst to some person, and their only reaction is to raise an eyebrow and say, "And?"

Chaos gods of Warhammer, meet Doug Sangnoir. He's already an avatar of Chaos... but in service to Order.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"Avatar" might be overstating it, Rob, depending on how you define the term. I could probably analyze that question in some considerable detail, but it would be at best tangentially on-topic for the thread, much less for the (sub)forum.

(There are probably comparisons to be drawn to Ethan Rayne, though, albeit not close ones.)

Regardless, is there anything to indicate that he'd be able to resist the psychologically, ah, warping effects of Warhammer-style Chaos? I can envision it as plausible, but it seems like it would still require a stretch from what we know about him.

Has anyone seen a Homestuck/SAO crossover? It seems like a fairly natural fit.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Quote:The Wanderer wrote:
"Avatar" might be overstating it, Rob, depending on how you define the term. I could probably analyze that question in some considerable detail, but it would be at best tangentially on-topic for the thread, much less for the (sub)forum.
If you want to discuss it in detail, feel free to open up a thread in DW/General -- but in brief, while Doug makes claims to being an avatar of Chaos -- and that only because Kami-sama mentioned Madigan calling him "chaos incarnate" at one point -- it is not a literal description but rather a metaphor for the force of change that he is and he brings with him.  He disrupts patterns, reroutes destinies and changes fates, not because of any mystical incarnate status, but because he's an outside force acting on events that are not expecting him.
Understand that I see "chaos", particularly of the kind that Doug carries along in his wake, as not necessarily destructive or "evil" -- I see chaos as a superset of order, a matrix out of which possibilities and opportunities form.  A lot of chaos does nothing, some is destructive -- and some is creative; and some of the creative chaos becomes order simply because it becomes self-perpetuating.  Doug comes into a world and injects new options and possibilities where none existed -- adding chaos to a static system.  Some may have bad results, but Doug is self-selecting for positive results (or at least not-negative ones).
Does that help a bit?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Eren Jaeger, AEUG pilot of Rx-178 Gundam-II

blackaeronaut Wrote:Ah. I remember this old idea. Originally it was just the idea of Jason Bourne and Salt somehow coming across little Hanna and taking her under their respective wings... and it got a little outta hand. ^_^;
I wrote a Bourne and Buffy bail out Hanna one over on TTH.
--------------------------------
Je ne suis pas une Intelligence Artificielle Turing. Je suis Charlie.

Quote:batzulger wrote:
Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:
Ah. I remember this old idea. Originally it was just the idea of Jason Bourne and Salt somehow coming across little Hanna and taking her under their respective wings... and it got a little outta hand. ^_^;
I wrote a Bourne and Buffy bail out Hanna one over on TTH.
Alternately, she could be adopted by Frank Moses and Sarah Ross (from "Red"), and be raised in a happy, loving family of some of the most dangerous killers the American government ever trained. I mean, Hanna could keep up with Marvin without slowing down AND deal with his level of crazy without blinking an eye.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

"My name, is Tousei Yuu. In a world... of disappointing mediocrity... I talk like a movie trailer announcer. There's no car chases, no explosions, just one ordinary teenager, and my extraordinary voice. Join me, on an impossible mission... to make the world as awesome as it could be."

"They call me Seiyuu of the East... now joining your high school class."

Melancholy of Suzimiya Haruhi SI
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

House and Sherlock -- and a tentative title for one episode could be "Eating Them Out of House and Holmes"...
-- Bob
---------

An idea that hit me today...

How about a Star Wars/The General xover...

For example you could set it in during the clone wars imagine having Anakin Skywalker or Obi Wan Kenobi being guided by Center and Raj Whitehall.

Alternatively you could set it later with it being Han Solo or oneof the Skywalker twins being the ones linked with Center and Raj...

Which brings up an even odder idea how about a Buffy/the General xover using the Halloween trope...There is the mental image of one of the Buffy characters dressing as Suzette Whitehall...
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

Take the Worm timeline, and by authorial fiat, delay the arrival of the entities responsible for it all by about two decades. Rather than arriving in 1980, let them arrive on, say, September 10th, 2000.

Two or three days later, Second Impact occurs.

What with the fundamentally Different nature of the Angels (including First and Second), the entities completely failed to see this coming. They can't predict or detect the other Angels, either, except in the same ways humanity can.

This is going to considerably disrupt their plans.

(Take into account that Worm canon begins about 30 years after the entities' arrival, and that Evangelion begins about 15 years after Second Impact.)

Alternately, let's say the Worm entities do arrive in 1980, as scheduled. Let events proceed as in canon for nearly two decades.

Then, in 1999, Lavos erupts from beneath the earth and sprays destruction around the world.

He hasn't manifested before that for at least a thousand years, probably more like 1400. The odds of the entities having looked far enough back to even notice he was there, when gathering information to make their plans, seem extremely limited.

Their endgame is a good 300 years away, and requires a sizable human population for most of that time to really get things going properly. Having most of humanity wiped out a bare twenty years in is not going to make them very happy.

Lavos also screws with time by his very presence - and their own time-travel capabilities appear to be quite limited. What effect the time-traveling people trying to deal with Lavos may end up having on events is far from clear.

(Inspired by the fact that Lavos and the Worm entities seem to have superficially similar lifecycles. For that matter, there are some similarities to Jenova, as well...)

Game of Thrones & whatever idiotic TV show that you think needs a mass cast cull : I vote for either Friends or The Love Boat as you need a sizeable cast to make the slaughter as enjoyable as possible.

Game of Bones?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Game of Bones?
"Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not an intriguing nobleman!"
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Game of Bones?
"Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not an intriguing nobleman!"
...as said by Temperance Brennan McCoy.
(Emphasis on 'nobleman'?)

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

If you want to take intrigue to insane levels, there's always a Game of Thrones/House of Cards crossover!

Akira & Gurren Lagann 
Tetsuo taps into and eventually [student] transfers to Lagann space. Transcendental Tetsuo  is a perfect Ultimate Anti Spiral God King. 

Quote:Tennie wrote:
If you want to take intrigue to insane levels, there's always a Game of Thrones/House of Cards crossover!
That's nothing - Game of Tudor Borgias anyone?

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Game of Bones?
In which archeologists battle over  the rights to excavate a massive fossil field that may contain evidence of dragons. 8P

"Tonight, on MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch: Father Alexander Anderson vs Father Kotomine Kirei!"
"So, Max, why these two priests in particular?"
"Mainly because either of them dying is a Good Thing. In fact, most of the audience has expressed hopes that this will be one of our rare mutual-kill Matches. Which is why we've upped the game to a Super Deathtrap Cage Match!"

Sabrina the Teenage Muggleborn

Her looks and wandless magic just might put a dent in Malfoy's prejudice... or not.
--
Rob Kelk

Which reminds me... one of these days I need to actually finish my Bewitched/Potter crossover (begun lo these many years ago, when there were almost none to be found): Tabitha Stevens discovers she has a distant British cousin in desperate need of family support and moves to England to provide it in Harry Potter and the Blonde From Connecticut.
-- Bob
---------