Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
short background crossover
short background crossover
as part of the side story/background for my Battletech fiction i wrote this, enjoy:
Histories:

“Onkel Klaus,” at the sound of the young girl’s voice the older man smiled and looked up from his workbench to see the blonde hair and glasses of the nine-year-old girl pull herself around the bulkhead stanchion.

“What do you need little one?” the older man asked.

“How did we end up here?” the girl asked plainly, her face scrunching up in seriousness. It was the face of a child trying to understand the adult world and wanting an adult answer.

“That is a big question with a complicated answer.” Klaus answered. “Do you think you and your cousin are ready for the answer?” The girl nodded her face still set. “Very well then,” he sighed, “go retrieve him and meet me in our quarters, I only intend to tell this story once.”

About half an hour later, the three of them had run the other family out of their shared room and Klaus settled in to tell them the tale. “This story starts before either of you were born unfortunately,” Klaus told the two children. “Now, I am going to keep the story to the necessities for now and hopefully I will not have to expand on it later. It just hurts so much, and you were both so young.” At this point Klaus looked up and sighed. “The fact of things is that we are as much refugees as the people who saved us. Why, because we had lost. We had lost the battles, the land, and the war” Klaus said simply. “Whoever controlled the soldiers, whoever controlled the Geisterdamen, they had won the war. Agatha, you were about five when they made their final push.”

The Jaegers were holding the line as the refugees, the last free people in their world retreated toward what should have been safety. Barry was leading the jaegers against the geisterdamen with Klaus right beside him when the cry went up from the line of refugees. They had been flanked, cut off from their last chance of refuge and it looked like it was either die, or become a mindless slave to the master, the other. This realization was just settling in and people were setting themselves either for death or servitude when they arrived on wings of fire shooting beams from their armored suits.

Unknown system
Orbital slot 3: Planet unknown

The Spirit Cat dropship was searching for the new home for their clan, surveying the only habitable planet when they noticed the battle. From orbit they could see that the group of embattled refugees had been retreating toward a walled town with a partially destroyed castle on a hill inside. Maybe they had thought to make a last stand there, but the captain of the dropship had other thoughts. “We have elementals quaiff?” he asked his executive officer

“Aff Star captain,” the XO answered.“Do you wish to intervene or simply deal with the rest of the planet?”

“Aff,” the star captain answered. “I do not like the look of those other locals that they seem to be fighting. Send two points of elementals and recover the refugees that wish to leave. When we find safety, they can go their own way if they still wish to.”

“Aff Star Captain.” The XO answered transmitting the order to the elementals onboard and to the shuttle bay where a shuttle was kept prepped to drop for survey purposes. “The orders are sent Star Captain; we should inform the jumpship that this was a waste of time quineg?”

“Aff, I shall do so once those refugees have been recovered.

They hit the Geisterdamen like an avenging angel, fire and death rays flying into the spider riders and the other's soldiers like an avalanche. The cheer that the refugees set up at that point snapped the rest of us out of our shock and the jaegers counter charged the giesterdamen our own death rays dropping many of the other’s soldiers and opening a wide enough area that their own airship was able to land without being swamped. A door opened in the craft and what must have been the pilot called out something in a language that I did not recognize at first to be English. Understanding his exact words however was a moot point, as his hand gestures made it clear we were being offered a way out for our remnant. We did not hesitate, but they did when they got a good look at the first jaeger to try and step foot on their airship. The problem seemed to be that they were created creatures, something our rescuers called “Genecaste” but Barry, ever the person with a solution told me to take you and Von Pinn and keep you safe. That he would take the jaegers and try to make a strike at the other in her own fortress. His brother had failed to kill her but had gotten his daughter out to Barry, and now Barry was going to see if his brother was still alive and try to kill the other or die trying.

“We came up to our rescuers ship and for the first time I felt stupid,” Klaus finished with a sigh. “Here was all this technology, things we had never thought of, had not even dreamed of in our greatest madness. I vowed then and there that the two of you would learn from them as much as was possible, your madness, and your inventiveness would be with the most technologically advanced capabilities that could be provided. That is why you are not only learning to be warriors, but to be technicians as well. That way when it finally comes you’ll know not just how to use it, but how to make it better to be used in a more controlled and destructive manner. Both children looked at Klaus and nodded, understanding what was expected of them, and as they nodded the zero gravity of the charging jumpship caused two pendants to come out, one bearing the trilobite of the Heterodynes, and the other the winged castle of Wolfenbach.