Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Variants on Perspective
Variants on Perspective
Attempting to get the creative juices flowing, I messed around a little with the basic establishment of my ongoing fic. And maybe a little too much Springbank

This is literally me just messing around and is done with no permissions or nothing. And a little copypasta to make one particular link more obvious.

There're worse places to insert into than Evangelion. There's Evangelion fanfiction......

--------------------------------------------------
Variant 1: Desant
--------------------------------------------------

"Take your time," The doctor said, his compassionate smile returning. "I have other patients to attend to Noriko, so, I'll have to see you tomorrow then. There should be a government official as well. Nurse Ibuki here will take care of your 'private' issues. Cheerio!"

"Em, Cheerio," I answered, more interested in the fifty year old, slightly overweight, brunette nurse that had been working unnoticed in my room the whole time. She was the same one who had drugged me before, and found me awake earlier.

What could the Doctor possibly mean by 'Private issues'?

The nurse snapped a pair of rubber gloves from a small cardboard box. She said something that sounded as if it was supposed to reassure me as she slowly approached. I shrank back into my pillow, still trying to figure out what she wanted to do.

When I did, I knew true fear.

What happened afterwards is best not mentioned. Suffice to say, twenty minutes later I was no longer tethered to my bed, though I'd gained a very sore spot between my legs for the privilege. They'd finally disconnected me from all the little electronics, I could move if I wanted.

But where could I go?

I was also eating my way through some soft strawberry jelly and ice cream, the first thing my body had eaten through the mouth in around seven months. I poked at a still-fresh scar that slashed across my stomach like a failed attempt at seppuku. It had partners on my right arm and leg, running parallel to the bone. I could feel the metal holding the bones together underneath when I squeezed.

My first full day ended with me lying back on my bed, staring once more at the ceiling. I was cranking the day's events over in my mind, trying to fill in certain blanks, and maybe get some small idea of what might be coming.

A government official, did that mean Foster care then?

I had the traditional EVA tragic past, so it was entirely possible that perhaps I could find myself behind the sticks of an Evangelion. The fanboy within stirred at the merest hint of that possibility, desperately searching for any and all possible scenarios that could put me at the controls of Unit 01, no matter how far-fetched.

And then, night fell, and the hospital fell silent. In the darkness, I was alone, lying there, listening to the rattle of the ventilation, with the silhouette of Ramiel against the moonlit sky as my only company.

Nuts to EVA, I really wanted to go home, just wake up in my own bed, realise this was a nightmare and live happily ever after.
Sometime after that, I fell into a peaceful and welcome sleep.

I…..I
Returning to my bed, I sat and watched a few shows, even if I couldn't understand what was being said, one of the shows, I couldn't remember the title, seemed strangely familiar.

"Good Afternoon Noriko!" Dr James' cheerful voice interrupted my viewing pleasure.

"Afternoon," I responded, a little irritated.

"You remember yesterday?"

I nodded.

"Good." He smiled, looking almost relieved. "I've brought someone from the government to see you. Captain Sofiya Pavlovena of the Russian,…ahm"

"Vozdushno-Desantnye Voyska"

A cool voice drew my attention to the door. She stepped into the room, dressed in a heavy, dress jacket with more gold braid and shiny things on it than the average palace guard.

Huh…. I pieced together the acronym in my mind.

My first thought was to wonder why Russian Paratroopers would give a shit about me, especially given I was almost certain this was where Neon Genesis Evangelion was a thing. My second, was to wonder just what'd happened to her face - it looked like she'd picked a fight with a deep-fat fryer and lost.

My Third thought, was to realise with horror that I most definitely wasn't where I'd thought I'd been…

I was somewhere far…far worse.

------------------------------------------------
Variant 2: Meeting your inspiration

------------------------------------------------
It hadn't come as a surprise to me, but Asuka was taking it with her usual good grace.

"Shinji you idiot, why couldn't you have told me you expected we couldn't go on the trip?

It was, I thought, best just to let them go at it with each other. I was too tired from my training to inteject with anything anyway. I was first to see the lift doors open, revealing a Rei Ayanami who first glanced at Asuka, then Shinji, then focused her stunned gaze on me.

Almost like it was the first time she'd met me.

"B-But, Asuka," Shinji stammered. "It only makes sense that . . ." His shoulders slumped in defeat. "Misato already explained . . ." He looked around, unable to look Asuka in the eye. Of course, he spotted Rei. "Oh! Ayanami! Good morning."

That snapped her right out of it….

"Good morning," she said, keeping her voice deliberately soft.

Asuka bustled her way in, interjecting herself between Rei and Shinji. "Oh, great!" Asuka muttered as she whirled around and faced Rei. "It's Wonder Girl." She fidgeted with a shopping bag in one hand.This Rei didn't seem to care what Asuka was doing. Her alazarin eyes focused hard on me, never breaking. She studied me intently, as if she'd never seen me before that, and she was struggling to work out who I was.

I'd spoken to her just 20 minutes beforehand to get the correct training times for tomorrow

"Are you ignoring me on purpose?"

Rei blinked. "….I have nothing to say to you."

Asuka muttered a dark curse in German at her. To both our surprises, Rei answered her clearly - her tone never waving from its deliberate evenness. Asuka stepped forwards, pressing her chest against Rei's. Blue eyes glared down at Red. The German had been challenged and she would not back down, no matter what.

Rei. Surprising everyone…. did, taken a step towards the back wall of the lift car. Asuka loomed over her.

"Are you going to the pool as well, Ayanami?" Shinji asked, trying to keep the peace,

"Yes," she said, sounding briefly relieved. "I have been ordered to maintain my physical fitness through a regimen of swimming. I shall do as I have been ordered."

She was still stealing glances at me in a way that unnerved me just a little.

"Well," Asuka said in exasperation, "Aren't you the good little soldier? Don't you ever have any fun in your spare time?"

"If I am ordered to," she said, the master of self control keeping her face serene in spite of everything, "I will."

Asuka was flabbergasted. The concerned look on Shinji's face was obvious. Catching up a moment later, I snorted a laugh through my nostrils, shocking all three.

"Ayanami…" I stopped, stuck searching for the right word, before giving up and switching back to my native language. "She's just being sarcastic."

"What would that freakzoid know about sarcasm?" Sorhyu hissed.

"Enough" Answered Ayanami, mildly.

The door opened before Asuka had the chance to explode. All four of us made our way to our respective locker-rooms, Shinji peeling off alone. It still felt wrong going into the girl's locker room, but I swallowed the sensation.

Ayanami headed off to her own end, while I got to put up with Sorhyu complaining about the Freakazoid girl messing with her head before finally getting the chance to enjoy a swimsuit and warm water.

Normally I wouldn't give anything she said any stock, but this time? Something was strangely off with her in a way I just couldn't place.

It was probably nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------
Variant 3: Staggering
-----------------------------------------------------

Asuka'd been blabbing about him for a while, and now I finally got to meet the martial arts instruction she'd been raving about. They'd waited a few weeks for my fitness and language levels to catch up to the point where I could reliably hold a conversation. Or take a punch.

Even Shinji seemed to be enthusiastic. It was rare for him to be enthusiastic about anything, so it had to be good. A monster of a motorcycle was parked outside - something that looked completely out of place - as much a parachronism as I was.

Inside, it even smelled traditional. I could bath in the scent of warm woods and sweet oils welcoming me into their embrace.

I followed the others to the main hall, where we sat and waited for the appointed hour. I tried to immitate their cross-legged position, and found it just hurt my scarred leg to put pressure on it like that.

Nothing made me feel quite as small as meeting our instructor for the first time. I'd met Americans. I'd met Europeans. I'd even met Japanese Adults. He just seemed to be on a different level, filling the room with an energetic presence that made the hairs on my arms tingle. It was a little unnerving to be standing opposite such a tower of a man.

The floorboards creaked under his feet.

"Good morning class. I see our little Lazarus is finally fit enough to join us for the first time…."

His intonation was sharp, clear and practiced - a voice belonging to someone well used to public speaking. He really did seem to command the entire room.

"I got better," I managed, in broken Japanese.

Monty Python never even occurred to me - not until I saw the glimmer in his eyes and the smile crawl across his lips.

"I see your education has not been neglected, Miss Nagato. Well. I am Colonel Douglas Sangnoir, and it's a pleasure to meet you" He paused, allowing my time to translate "However, in this building, you must call me Sensei,"

I caught up. My expression went blank.

What….

"Ahm…"

My mouth hung wide open, parching dry. What….

He waited. Maybe he thought I was just stuck on the Japanese, but it was far more than that.

I looked at Asuka for an explanation, then right back at him, still smiling warmly at me.

"It looks like the Fourth Child finally hit puberty," Asuka needled, jabbing me painfully in the side with her elbow.

Her betrayal flabbergasted me. That wasn't it. That wasn't it at all. And I summed it up in the only way I knew how, cheeks burning red hot and everything.

"SHUT UP!"

Ears rang.

Well. I wasn't expecting that third scene. And sadly, I don't recognize the first two... although I feel like I should definitely know the second.

"tower of a man"? I trust that's a subjective emotional response to what appears to be a rampant uncontrolled presence attack. Doug's only 5'8" after all...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Please chop your divider lines in, like, half. I don't have enough screen to scroll that far.

Edit: Thanks! I'm afraid I don't recognize anything but Doug either, but then I'm not exactly a huge Eva fan (kind of the opposite really) so it's not like I read every one I can find. Despite that, the story itself is interesting and makes me want to find out what the deal is for your character.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Well in the first bit I think that's Balalaika, head of Hotel Moscow based out of Roanapur (Black Lagoon) or's a damn close expi. Then again there is that fic which brings the Russians in and present the true power of the atom to the Angels' core.

I know which Eva fic you're talking about, Rod -- it's the one where Misato and Shinji get killed early on and NERV grabs their souls and sticks them in a pair of Ayanami clones and claims they're Rei's older and younger sisters. (And it's amusing for how quickly Shinji adapts to being a 12-year-old girl -- a very feminine, even cutesy, one at that.) I'm not sure if that's the setting for the first vignette, though, nothing in it rings a bell.
-- Bob
---------

I know the second one; Dartz missed a copy-paste edit. Wink
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

That's it.... that's all of them alright...

I probably didn't go far enough with the first one... (And yes, that's also Balalaika's real name in Black Lagoon). And I fixed that mistake, while I was at it.

And, on saying that, I managed to hit a bit of a run today and actually get a few paragraphs done. Not much, but considering I came home from work so bone tired I didn't even bother cooking a dinner..... it's progress.

The last chapter might've been experimental at best.... but it's also tough to follow.

Could be worse. You could be visiting a 'verse where "that damn'fool Brit screwball, Croft" is driving Unit 01....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Speaking of Croft - the working doc for the latest chapter gives me:

Quote:"I used to hate fanfics like that," I deadpanned, burying my face in my hands.

Until my life became one.

"Fanfic?"

I glanced at him through my fingers.

"Watch a show. Then write a fanfic where you go to the show's universe, fix everything bad that happened and pork the leading lady." I sat back upright, resting my hands on my hips. "Real life's a bit different, I guess" I sighed, finding my mind's fingers grasping at stands of memory. I read all about it once.

How many Evangelion fics had gone over this? How many of them had ratcheted up the tension, only to come up with another Yashima solution? Something awesome in scale and endeavour?

The Worlds Most Handsome and Sophisticated 14-year-old-boy launched to orbit with Asuka. Rei Ayanami's dummy-plug sister caught it, cut it, then never finished. The man from another world with his amazing jet-cycle did it with just a song and some encouragement. When we got backed into a corner, the only way out of it was to blast our way out with more gun.

And I picked those three specifically because they were the only three I could think of off the top of my head.

Heh. And martial arts training, and some generic apprentice-level magical training. But no pork.
-- Bob
---------

Martial-arts training, but no pork? Do we really want an EVA wandering around, trying to find Furinkan?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Heh. And martial arts training, and some generic apprentice-level magical training. But no pork.

What about bacon? Training without bacon is an inhumanity. Even synthetic lab-grown post-Impact "Bacon" that's but a pale imitation of genuine salted and smoked pig slice
Quote:want an EVA wandering around, trying to find Furinkan?

It's OK, the local builders are well used to the post-combat repairs. What's a Giant Robot compared to the NWC?

Quote:Dartz wrote:
Quote:want an EVA wandering around, trying to find Furinkan?

It's OK, the local builders are well used to the post-combat repairs. What's a Giant Robot compared to the NWC?
You can, occasionally, get the Giant the Giant Robot to help with repairs.

i recognized the first and third ones but not the second, could someone please enlighten me

The second one, if I'm not mistaken, is Foxboy's I Was A Teenaged Dummy Plug.
-- Bob
---------