Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] Super Dimension Magical Girl Lyrical Skitter

Very Taylor, though perhaps a little recognition of the level of multitasking it takes to fight while getting multiple extra viewpoints with search spells running might be fitting. If the damaged and removed augment node is common knowledge, or at least known to Nanoha as part of base security, she might speculate that it might have served some related purpose since this is obviously Taylor's preferred and practiced combat style.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

There is some notice of that, but remember, Nanoha can do most of that herself. She's used to managing multiple viewpoints. Admittedly she usually has Raging Heart to do most of the pre-processing for her, and she doesn't use it for local tactical omniscience the way Taylor does, but she's rather quickly grasping that, yes. Notice the line about how she notices all Taylor's awkwardness - which she'd been complaining about to Doc Yamada a chapter or three ago, thinking their might be some lingering brain damage - is just up and gone? Yeah.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I concur with what's been said. From what little I've seen of Taylor (not having read Worm myself) this is definitely her, and I could tell right off the bat why she lost all signs of nervousness once Nanoha made note of it.

Also, I love that bit with the debriefing there. Nothing like having an incredulous superior giving you the eighth degree for something that should not have been theoretically possible. Big Grin

(As an aside - if anyone with military experience wants to chime in on my characterization of Major Lanster or suggest ways to improve him, feel free. He's not intended to be a major character, but he's important to this part of the story, being Nanoha's immediate boss and all. And yes, he -is- Teana's big brother, and yes, in canon Nanoha he's dead by this point. Butterflies.)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
I'm not really visualizing the configuration Taylor's got the shields in, I'm afraid. At first I thought she was setting them up like the wheels on a pitching machine to accelerate a blaster shot, but then you've got her walking it over to the door, and talking about ctting off her hand if it gets out of alignment... is it like a Barrier Punch / Giga Drill Breaker combo thing? Some kind of glorious abomination of razor-edged buzz saw whirlwind? Something else entirely?

And again, like I said the first time... Dat multitasking!
Think, drill head, as in industrial well drilling. If the bit blades are 2 - 3 inches across and interleaved properly, she could cut a hole between 6 to 10 inches across. 
For personal safety the set should set about 15 - 20 inches from the end of her hand while still in line with her forearm.
This will allow spalling debris to fall to the floor relatively safety. The debris will be curly, and sharp. Do not step on it.

And hot. Even if actual drill bits aren't being used, you bend metal like that and it will get hot.

But, they're supposed to be circling her wrist and forearm, right? Her hand would be in the way of getting them in contact with the door...
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Maybe it's like a modded pinpoint defense system ala Macross 1. The individual shields are small but stay a set distance from the limb, or hand. Taylor has to be careful not to lose her head, or she might lose her actual head.
A note, even though the devices are civilian class, they were provided by a secured facility.  Have some one check the usage log, and figuratively s*** themselves at what Taylor did code wise.

Manytales00 Wrote:A note, even though the devices are civilian class, they were provided by a secured facility.  Have some one check the usage log, and figuratively s*** themselves at what Taylor did code wise.
Presumably the Board of Inquiry that Nanoha's in front of has already done that.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Manytales00 wrote:
A note, even though the devices are civilian class, they were provided by a secured facility.  Have some one check the usage log, and figuratively s*** themselves at what Taylor did code wise.
Presumably the Board of Inquiry that Nanoha's in front of has already done that.
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that revelation.  Wink
EDIT: Also, pretty sure her dossier is being updated to include, "Taylor is a true monster in human form.  Do not engage except with orbital bombardment, and only from high-orbit."

Indeed. There was one fic I was following recently in which Taylor had ended up in the Stargate universe because reasons. After getting some experience and a few nice and quiet gate runs with SG-1 she gets assigned to a team of newbies as one of their "civilian experts" that they have to take along on a simulated training mission.

The team lead takes one look at her file and notes how much of it is redacted as beyond his security clearance, and promptly makes note: "Thou Shalt Not Underestimate Taylor Hebert".

Smartest butterbar ever. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
Indeed. There was one fic I was following recently in which Taylor had ended up in the Stargate universe because reasons. After getting some experience and a few nice and quiet gate runs with SG-1 she gets assigned to a team of newbies as one of their "civilian experts" that they have to take along on a simulated training mission.

The team lead takes one look at her file and notes how much of it is redacted as beyond his security clearance, and promptly makes note: "Thou Shalt Not Underestimate Taylor Hebert".

I noted that when reading that fic and agreed.

I habe rarely known butterbars that smart.

Quote:Rajvik wrote:

I noted that when reading that fic and agreed.

I habe rarely known butterbars that smart.
Probably a Mustang Lt.  He used to be a Chief Petty Officer.

Link? I haven't exactly been keeping up with the Worm fic thread on spacebattles (read: about 600-ish pages behind)

I watched Taylor approach the door, her expression taught with concentration. 
Should be "taut", I think.
I stepped through behind her, forming my own blasters,
What happened to the blasters Nanoha had framing the door?

Quote:NifT wrote:
Link? I haven't exactly been keeping up with the Worm fic thread on spacebattles (read: about 600-ish pages behind)
My Google-Fu almost failed me, but after trying multiple keywords... Through the WORM hole
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

Quote:NifT wrote:
I watched Taylor approach the door, her expression taught with concentration. 
Should be "taut", I think.
I stepped through behind her, forming my own blasters,
What happened to the blasters Nanoha had framing the door?

Whoops. Thanks for pointint that out, adding corrections.

Nanoha's current blaster spell is not her usual, since it simply won't work on the Device she's using. Instead she's running a stripped-down version of it (compare to lowering the graphics settings on a game so it won't hang your low-end PC's proceassor) dialled back to run on her loaner Device, then tweaked a bit to her specifications. It takes a good bit more system resources to -form- a blaster than it does to maintain it, so she's just "stacking" them as she forms batches. I think I've clarified this in the scene now, she forms the first batch as Taylor forms the drill, the second as she starts on the door, and the third on her way out of the cell. She expends about half of them to take down the second guard (who is already in Barrier Jacket) but still has a good pile left over for the next fight. (Unfortunately, they're not quite resource-low enough for maintenance that she can keep stacking them indefinitely.)

Taylor's Device doesn't have access to the military-grade spell library (except for the Search spell Nanoha deliberately gave her), the spells it comes stocked with are more oriented towards "get a noncombatant OUT OF THE FIGHT". It does have a Blaster, but it's a very low-end one that won't do much against a barrier jacket, and Taylor has already considered it and dismissed it for this part of the breakout. It may come in handy later, however....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Whoops. Thanks for pointint that out, adding corrections.

Nanoha's current blaster spell is not her usual, since it simply won't work on the Device she's using. Instead she's running a stripped-down version of it (compare to lowering the graphics settings on a game so it won't hang your low-end PC's proceassor) dialled back to run on her loaner Device, then tweaked a bit to her specifications. It takes a good bit more system resources to -form- a blaster than it does to maintain it, so she's just "stacking" them as she forms batches. I think I've clarified this in the scene now, she forms the first batch as Taylor forms the drill, the second as she starts on the door, and the third on her way out of the cell. She expends about half of them to take down the second guard (who is already in Barrier Jacket) but still has a good pile left over for the next fight. (Unfortunately, they're not quite resource-low enough for maintenance that she can keep stacking them indefinitely.)

Taylor's Device doesn't have access to the military-grade spell library (except for the Search spell Nanoha deliberately gave her), the spells it comes stocked with are more oriented towards "get a noncombatant OUT OF THE FIGHT". It does have a Blaster, but it's a very low-end one that won't do much against a barrier jacket, and Taylor has already considered it and dismissed it for this part of the breakout. It may come in handy later, however....
Yes, that's much clearer.
@LilFluff: Thanks! More reading material, yay!