Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Math, Thread The Third

Neither did she, Rob... and my SI will end up wondering if he should jump on that bandwagon at some point, too.  Not that he will, in the end, but I do enjoy the concept of it.
Glad to hear it, BA.  Honestly, I thought I was going a bit far with this, but you just know she'd do that.
Actually, I think my favoritest bit is the bit after this one.  You'll understand when I get that far.

It took some doing, but I was eventually able to get Sein calmed down and off to the carnival.
Eventually.
We appeared, surprisingly enough, in the back of a very familiar tent, full of very familiar boxes.  What?  This is a completely different planet- why did we-?  HOW did we end up in the same
relative spot?  Is somebody actively updating destination points for a CARNIVAL? 
Best not to think about it for now.  Need to wrangle the Sein.

"Oooohh... let's go on the rides!"
"Do you think we can?  I'm not sure I'm tall enough."
"Why would that matter?"
"Safety.  Normal children aren't tough enough to take falling out of a ride, and are too small for the restraints.  So they're not allowed to ride."
"Oh, well that makes sense.  Hey, a sign!  'You must be this tall to ride.'Imma, get over here!"
"Okay...Huh.  What do you know.  I am tall enough.  Guess we're going on a ride together... but which one?"Not the drop tower.  Please, not the drop tower."How 'bout the spinny one over there?"Phew."Okay, then."
"Huh.  That was kinda boring."
"Speak for yourself!  It was all fast and spinny!"
"...Sein, I can fly faster than that."
"Oh, yeah?  Bet you can't fly faster than that with a passenger!"
"Pfft.  Faster than that?  Easy.  Heck, I could fly faster AND spin tighter than that!"
"Heh.  Prove it!"
"Fine!  I will!
...did you just sucker me into taking you out for a flight?"
"Yep!"I have GOT to stop falling for that.*****

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:Bluemage wrote:
"...Sein, I can fly faster than that."
"Oh, yeah?  Bet you can't fly faster than that with a passenger!"
"Pfft.  Faster than that?  Easy.  Heck, I could fly faster AND spin tighter than that!"
"Heh.  Prove it!"
"Fine!  I will!
...did you just sucker me into taking you out for a flight?"
"Yep!"I have GOT to stop falling for that.
There is only one way I can respond to this...

-_-Should I know the reference, or what it implies?
"Ooh!  Food!"
I'm glad we got here after the rides.  Don't want to know if she can get queasy.
"That looks good!  But so does that!  And that!  But I can't eat all of that!"...a fact for which my wallet is forever grateful.
"Hey, Imma?  What's 'ice cream'?"...what.
"...are you serious?  You don't know what ice cream is?!"
"Um... I wouldn't've asked what it was if I already knew, would I?  I don't think I would've."
"Good point.  Anyway, ice cream is... well..."
"That's okay, Imma.  If you don't know what it is, we can just-"
'I know what it is, okay?  I'm just-"
"Just what?  Just having a hard time figuring out what it is?"
"GAH!  NO!  I KNOW WHAT IT IS!"
"I belieeeeeeeeve you~"
"...you do."
"Yep!  I was just distracting you, 'cause it sounded like you'd gotten stuck on something.  Now you can give explaining it another shot!"
...she's right.  Now I see where I was going wrong.  "Thanks.  I was, actually- stuck, I mean.  Was trying to figure out how to explain why people like ice cream."
"Explaining matters of opinion?  Yeah, I can see how that'd be tough."
"Thanks again for that.  Anyway, ice cream is basically sweetened milk, frozen in such a way that it ends up becoming smooth....I'm not sure why I thought I should explain why people like it.  Better to just let you find out for yourself.
Yeah, could I get a large chocolate cone for me, and a small one for the little lady?  Thanks."
"Little?  You're still shorter than me, little brother."
"I know.  I may be shorter than you right now, but in a few years I'll be taller... and you'll still be short.  So nyeh."
"Hmph."
"Anyway, here's your ice cream.  Now, keep in mind that ice cream is COLD.  Eat it too fast, and you'll-"MUNCHSNARFGOBBLE"That.  Was.  DELICIOUS!  Can I have some more?  A large cone, maybe, with a fowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..."
[PICTURE SAVED, AS PER STANDING ORDERS.]
[Very good.  You might as well be recording this.  Full video.]
[ALREADY IN PROGRESS.]
"...it huuuuuuuuurts."
[Even better.]
"As I was saying, if you eat it too fast, you'll get a headache."
"...why is the ice cream attacking my head?  Make it stop!"
"Sorry, Sein.  Can't.  It'll get better in a bit, don't worry."
"Aahhhh.  Better!  Now, about that large cone..."
"You sure you want to do that?"...yeah, she's sure.  Heck of a glare, too.

I've been writing a bit.

Oh, no reference in particular. Just when Muttley laughs its usually because of schadenfreude, or something close enough to it. Wink

And Sein with an ice cream headache... Now I want to actually see what this looks like myself.

It looks like a cute girl with anime hair grabbing her head and moaning in pain, basically. ^^
The instant the whole 'suckered into taking Sein' bit happened, I knew I was going to have to give her an ice cream headache.  Helped that CD'd been recommending the SI take various people out for ice cream.
In other news, work was kicking my ass today.  On top of that, and the headache, studying for a Microsoft test tomorrow and writing was not fun.
"What're these?  It looks like an arcade, but..."
"Actually, it is an arcade- just not the sort you're used to."Should I say it?  Eh, it's Sein- 'Least Likely To Screw Me Over' every year running since she activated."...it's from my homeworld."
"..."
"Sein?  You okay?"
"...That.  Is.  So.  AMAZING!  Do you recognize any of the machines?  How do they work?  You've got to show me around!"
"Sure!  Sure!  Just stop pulling on my arm!  There's something I have to do over here first!
......Sein?!  Where'd you go- ah.  Over there."Imma, the machine won't let me play!"
"That's because you have to pay to play with it.  S'how arcades make money."
"...I KNOW that!  I tried to send it a credit, and it didn't work!"
"Sein, we don't use credits on my homeworld.  Even if we did, they wouldn't be the same currency... and they still wouldn't work, even if they were.See this, here?  This machine takes physical tokens.  That's where I was, just a minute ago- trading a few credits in for some tokens, so we could play."
"Oh!"Cuddly Sein is... even more cuddly in normal clothing.  I approve."Good thinking, Imma!  So I just put a token in here, and... yep!  That did it!
...now what am I playing?"
I couldn't help but laugh.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:...now what am I playing?"
One of those games where your character has to run through a maze but the bad guys can ignore walls.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oh, that would be too cruel.  I like it.
I didn't actually pick a game... but if I did, it'd probably be Virtual On, Sunset Riders, or Battletoads.
"You want to try knife-throwing?  You could win a bear like Cinque's."
"Nah.  Big Sis tried to show me how to do that.  It... didn't go so well."
"..."
"...I still don't know why she got so upset!  It was only a scratch!"
Okay!  Moving on!"What about this game?"  Why is this even here?  I mean, an American-style carnival is one thing, but for it to have a Japanese game in it?  Odd, that.
"...what is it?  I see the fish, but what do you do with them?"
"You catch them, of course!"
"...what with?  I don't see any... no.  Oh, no.  There's no WAY that would work!"
"C'mon, Sein.  You should be able to do it.  All it takes is a bit of patience....oh, thanks.  Saves me having to ask.So, as I understand it, the trick is that the paper net will break if you move it too quickly.  You just slip it into the water slow as can be, gradually maneuver it under a fish- yeah, like that- and then snap the fish up before either it or the net can break!"
"...Imma, it tore."
"Yeah, I saw that, Sein.Another one, please.I saw a couple of things we could do differently.  We could... um..."
"Okay, this 'talking' thing?  It works better when words come out of your mouth."
"...oh, I'm *so* sorry.  Laugh it up.You know what?  Screw explaining.  Grab the net- I'll guide your hand."
"...okay, I see why you'd do that.  Less contact.  Slow movements... I had that figured out... you're coming at that one head-first- because the tail ripped the last one, right- and-...whoa.  We almost had it.  Did you- of course you saw that!  Let's try that again!"

I've been writing a bit.

"...did you SEE that?!  Three fish.  THREE!  With ONE NET!"
"Yes, Sein.  I saw it.  Yes, Sein, that's two more than I managed.Yes, Sein, that's the fourth time you've brought it up."
"But it was PERFECT!  I was all slow, and subtle, and careful... and then BANG!  Bagged a fish!...you're jealous, aren't you?"
"...I am not jealous."
"~Imma is jealous~!  ~Imma is jealous!~"
"...am not."
"Oh, you are so jealous!"
"...whatever.  Let's just take all these fish home, okay?"
"Sounds good to me!  Don't worry, little bro- you can put your fish in the tank with all of mine!  They can be... fish-buddies!  Yeah, that's it!"
"Imma?"
"Yeah?"
"...thanks."
"What, for taking you out to the fair?  No problem."
"...no.  For taking me out, even though I forced you into it.  You could've just said no.
I wouldn't have blamed you if you did."
"...now, why would I do a silly thing like that?  You're my sister!  I'd never-"
"And that's why I'm thanking you.  For being that sort of person.  I may not get out much, but that doesn't mean I can't do research.  The worlds are full of unpleasant people.Thank you for not being one of them."
"Any time, sis.  Any time.We should probably get these fish into a tank, shouldn't we?"
"Mhm!"

I've been writing a bit.

Next up, Quatro! Wink (After seeing Sein and Cinque here, it just strikes me as proper they'd somehow make this happen.)

...yeah, because THAT would go well. >.>
The Muse was not kind to me today.  I'm headed up to Alaska for a friend's wedding tomorrow morning, and it has me on edge.  Sorry.
"Hey th-GAH!  Watch where you're aiming those things!  You coulda put my eye out!"
"If I did, it would've been your fault.  Look where you're standing."
"...huh.  What do you know!  Guess I wandered into your target range by mistake!"
"Enough.  What brings you here, Sein?"
"Nuthin' much.  Just wanted to let you know we're back from the carnival."
"I can see that.  Did you enjoy your trip?"
"Oh, yes!  We went on all sorts of rides, and had food, and played games, and more games, and-"
"...let me guess.  You won your own bear?"
"Pfft.  Why would I want a bear?  They're so boring!"
"...you weren't able to get a bear."
"Didn't even try!  If you had to work to win one, there's no way I could've done it!"
"Did you win anything?"
"Sure did!  C'mon!"
SCHLORP
"...please, please don't do that without asking me again.  Now, where are we?  What did you get?"
"Right over here!"
"...Sein?!"
"I won all of these!  Well, except that one- that one's Imma's- but he's letting me look after him!  Aren't they cute?"
"...Sein, those are fish."
"And?"
"What do you mean, 'and?'  Fish are not cute.Bears, on the other hand..."

I've been writing a bit.

"Doctor, why do Cinque and Sein want a 'bearfish'? For that matter, what is a bearfish?"

"The prospect of creating a bearfish amuses me, but I have other things to do right now. Tell then 'no,' Uno."

"Certainly, Doctor."

... or not.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oh gawd... Just got imagery of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck have the age old duck season rabbit season argument. ALERT! POTENTIAL RUNNING GAG DETECTED!!! Big Grin

...I hadn't planned on it, BA, but now I just might.
Heh.  That was good... except for one little thing.
"Bearfish?  You mean Experiment 672-alpha-86-B?  Uno, kindly send Cinque and Sein the file on that particular creation when you have a moment."
"Of course, Doct-"
"Wait.  Just send them Appendices A and B.  They will neither need nor understand the file itself."
"...'List of Bearfish Casualties and Fatalities' and 'Bearfish Behavioral Paradoxes: Why Honey and Water Don't Mix'?"
"Yes!  Precisely!"
"......if you say so, Doctor."
"Yes, I know all about your little bear collection.  How have you held onto those for so long, anyway?  The Doctor-"
"The Doctor... believes strongly in the concept of efficiency.  For so long as we remain effective, our eccentricities will be tolerated."
"...'eccentricities', huh?"
"Yes, Sein.  Eccentricities.  Deviations from intended spec, if you prefer- such as my interest in culture, or your... colorful... personality."
"Yay!  I'm colorful!"
"...yes.  Yes, you are.  Now, stop it.You need to take this seriously!  You, more than any of us, are at risk.  If you ever- ever!- fail to meet expectations..."
"I know, Cinque.  I've always known.Something went right when the Doctor made me.  I'm an aberration- more human, psychologically, than I was 'supposed' to be.  I realized the danger within a week of waking up.Haven't you noticed how I never retreat, even when I'm permitted the option?  How you had to go save me from the Syndicate, because I tried to steal more than just the Relic?  I've been making a point of always doing more than expected, always giving 110% in everything I'm ordered to do, just so that the Doctor isn't... disappointed in me.  So far, it's worked."
"...wait, you knew?!  Then why-"
"-do I keep acting out?  Why don't I start acting like some sort of mind-numbed robot, the way I was supposed to?"
"...I am not a robot.  Mind-numbed, or otherwise."
"Never said you were, sis!Anyway, I can't change how I act now.  If I did that, it'd give up the game.  The Doc would know I was snowballing him, and then-"
"...indeed."
"That, and it's fun!  I'd try and get you to try it, but..."
"It would not look good if I did."
"Well, yeah!  Not that you could pull it off, anyway."
"...oh, no.  You've pulled that on Imma enough- I'm not going to fall for it.Speaking of Imma, what are you...?"
"Honestly?  I'm not sure.  I enjoy spending time with him, but there's something else... Something... more, almost.  He makes me smile; I'm not sure why....I want more of that."
"Sein?"
"Yes?"
"I don't believe I could have put it better, myself."
"Cinque!  You, too?"
"To a degree, yes....I haven't been able to say anything to him about it, though."
"That's okay!...neither have I..."
"...you know, I think I was wrong earlier.  The fish are kind of cute."
"Aren't they just?"

I've been writing a bit.

Oh man... Sein gains more depth and bad-ass. At her very core she is a scared little girl with the very real fear that she will be denied the basic right to exist, but she's keeping herself together admirably. It's almost like playing a real-life game of Paranoia, only more straightforward - no clones, and 'Friend Doctor' has stated that he will terminate you the moment you become a liability. Scary shit to grow up with.

I was worried I was going a bit too far with that section. ^^
But yeah.  I'm not just trying to make the Numbers more human than they would otherwise be.  I'm also trying to emphasize some aspects of them that don't really show up in StrikerS- or even aspects that can be inferred from their canon selves.  Sein ends up being a generally good person, a bit of a pervert, and good at her job... just not always the best at thinking things through all the way.  None of that really endears her to JS.  Some of it is mitigated by her unique IS, the result of a mutation, but the rest?  I figure there has to be something else there- so I have her giving 110% on everything.
Also, if the SI seems off in his time there?  He's living that same game of Paranoia.  His logs are censored, just for that reason.

"Hi.  Is this the Task Force 87 hotline?  The anti-Syndicate one, that was on the news?"
I looked around the park, scanning the area through the Area Search globes I'd hidden up in a few strategically-placed trees.  Good.  Looks like full coverage.  If they come for me, I'll see them coming.
"Yes, this is John Mustang.  I'm calling to report an attack on a Syndicate compound?  ...yes, I can hold."No hold music.  That's a relief.  Now to see if Uno's fake IDs hold up.
A few months ago, I'd had Uno set me up with a few aliases in the TSAB databases.  This would be the first time I actually tried to use one of them.  Oddly enough, bounty hunting doesn't
actually require proof of identity; who knew?
Anyway, I'd spent a few idle minutes, every so often, fleshing out the 'John Mustang' identity.  Designed it a barrier jacket of its own... dropped by some stores on a couple of planets... and actually did a bit of surveying work, just so I could honestly say I had if asked.  Made sure to leave documentation, too... and a couple of mistakes, just so I didn't look too good.
That night in jail was a real pain... though in my defense, he really shouldn't have slapped that woman, and I did avoid doing any permanent damage.
Three minutes on hold?  They must be doing some checking.  Hope it turns out okay- I really don't want to be burned so soon."Hello?  Yes, this is John Mustang.  I had some information on a crime scene-"
Don't you sound bored.  Somebody wishes it was Friday.
"-yes, I know you must get a lot of calls like this, but this one's-"
Why do I get the feeling she's not listening to me?"-no, I didn't call the local constabulary first!  Not city, not regional, not planetary!  This is a Syndicate compound, I tell you, not some two-bit gang house!"
"-oh, yeah?  How many 'non-organized crime networks' get their place burned down and blown up?"
That got her attention.  FINALLY!
"I said the compound was burned.  I saw the scorch marks, myself!  Rubble went flying everywhere, too, so I'm pretty sure there was an explosion.  Only thing is, none of the unconscious
goons there were hurt."
I should say not!  I went to a lot of trouble to make sure of that!"Unconscious, as in stunned.  I hunt bounties- I know how to tell when somebody's been knocked out by magic.  They were all laid out, outside the compound.  One of them-"
"Yes.  Yes, exactly!  Hands cupped around an unmarked data solid!  Well, I think it was unmarked, anyway- didn't see a label, or anything."Okay, I think she believes me now.
"No, I didn't touch anything.  Not even the ground!  Minute I realized what I was looking at, I started flyin', just so I could get all the details without touchin' the crime scene.  Did some scans, too, 'case you want them."
If they check, they'll find my magic signature all over the place.  Now there's a reason for it."Even stunned the goons out front again, just to make sure they wouldn't escape."
And for it being on the goons, too."Nope.  Once I did that, I transferred over here, just so's I could let you know what happened.  Hasn't even been fifteen minutes."
[PROBABLE TRANSFER DETECTED]
[Sorry, Mal.  Sort of busy here.]
Would've been ten, but you took FOREVER to actually start LISTENING TO ME.
"...can I hold for a minute or two?  If that's what you want, sure."
"Oh, it won't be that long."Who- when did they- crap, Mal TOLD me somebody was coming!  I turned around to look- and nearly freaked out then and there.  Nearly.  Still jumped a bit in shock.
There was a green-haired teenager in a white suit standing behind me, not ten feet away.

I've been writing a bit.

Uh-oh. Time to make like a snowman and stay frosty.

Yep. ^^
**********All I have to do is stick to the story, and I should be fine.  He can't detect what isn't there, and he can't read my mind from a distance.
After a second to calm down, I chuckled, scratching the back of my head sheepishly.  "Sorry.  You startled me.  I take it you're the..."
He smiled.  It was a genuine smile- laid-back, and boyish.  "Inspector Verossa Acous, TSAB.  I hear you found something interesting?"
I smiled back, this time with genuine relief.  Seems like a decent guy... and not suspicious of me yet.  Good sign.  "Sure did."  Thanking my lucky stars I'd thought to check, I reached out a hand, and introduced myself.  "That is, if you find ex-buildings interesting.  I'm-"
He waved me off, suddenly professional.  "No need, Mr. Mustang.  We know who you are."
Half a second later, the easy grin was back on Acous' face.  He chuckled, and gave my hand a vigorous shake.  "Always wanted to say that.  Seriously, I watched the statement you gave to Martha- assume I know all that."  He turned to face the public computer- still unoccupied, despite there being people waiting- and spoke to the open air.  "You can hang up now, Martha.  I'll take it from here."
The public machine stopped displaying a hold screen, cutting to a very-much-still-listening receptionist.  When she spoke, all trace of the 'bored public servant' act she'd used before had vanished.  "Of course, sir.  You think you'll be gone long?"
Acous shrugged, nonchalant.  "No way to tell, yet... but I don't think I'll be long."  He flashed a look- I got the feeling it was supposed to be charming, but I didn't see it- at the screen, then gave her a wave goodbye.  "I'll be back soon, okay?"
Turning to me, he stepped closer, stopping just inside my (fairly large) personal space.  "Right.  You good to take us both, or do you want me following?"
I shook my head, grinning confidently.  "Nah, I'm fine for it."  My circle appeared on the ground, growing to encompass both of us as I did the calculations.  Man, this translation is taking forever!  If only I could- no.  Better to do things the normal way, just to make sure this guy doesn't notice anything odd.
Then we were gone, and already there.
The compound I'd attacked belonged, at least in a legal sense, to Amalgamated Deliveries, a fairly unremarkable transportation company specializing in secure couriers.  It was a perfectly legitimate business, based just outside the mishmash of administrated worlds that was TSAB space- perfectly legitimate, that is, until you noticed that 40% of the company was owned by Syndicate members, and another 20% belonged to non-members under their influence.
Given that, Uno wasn't all that surprised to find Syndicate units operating out of more than a few of AD's compounds.
This one was someplace between a large business campus and a small military base in size.  It had a large, underground garage, a handful of barracks, a command building, and some actual offices, all surrounded by a decently high concrete-ish wall.  Emphasis on *had*; I'd done a number on the place before I called it in.
The moment we appeared outside the compound, a Belkan triangle appeared around Acous.  Two phantasmal beasts, hunting dogs made out of darkness and green light, faded into existence at his sides.
So that's the Unending Hunt?  Interesting.  I seem to remember him using four dogs at once in the future- is this just a partial invocation, or is he just not that good yet?
...come to think of it, the dogs aren't full-grown yet.  I think he's not up to full capacit- awwwww, that's so cute!  One of the dogs nuzzled its head into the investigator's leg; in response, he knelt down- I presume he intended to rub its head in response- only to get a face full of ectoplasmic slobber in return.
...wait.  How does that even work?
Oh, right.  It's Ancient Belkan- it doesn't have to make sense.

I've been writing a bit.

Aaaaaaand his professional image is shattered. Heee.

I do try to deliver humor when appropriate.  Or, failing that, whenever possible.
This next bit is actually leading into one of the major divergences I made in the SV version.  I've replaced the whole 'awareness training' bit from the DW version with new scenes, which lead into the scenes that will be posted after this.
Mind if I repost the rewrites, for context and critique?
Acous stood back up, the slobber fading away to nothing, and pointed into the base.  "Go!"  The dogs obeyed, running as far as the wall, putting their noses down to the ground, and beginning to sniff.  A moment later, one came over to me, craning its nose up; I reached a hand out, and the construct seemed to sniff it for a bit.
Then it straightened its back, lifting one foreleg and its tail in a classic pointer stance.  I got the feeling, from the way its muzzle was vibrating, that it'd be barking if it could.
It was all I could do not to freeze up on the spot.  ...keep it cool.  There are other explanations for this.  He might not have figured it out yet.  Instead of panicking, I forced a note of confusion into my voice.  "What's all this about, Inspector?  What's he doing?"
The inspector wasn't really listening to me.  Instead, he had the faraway look I'd come to associate with mages receiving information.  After a moment, the look passed.  He blinked, assessed the situation with suddenly-sharp eyes, and then did the last thing I'd expected him to do.
Acous laughed, and called his dog back to his side.
"Sorry about that, John- may I call you John?"  He didn't wait for an answer, instead continuing to talk.  "Your magical signature is in the air, and Bentley here," he said, rubbing the construct's head, "picked that up.  I didn't notice right off, because Opel," he continued, waving one hand towards the ruins, "had just gotten her first good sniff at one of the craters."
I winced.  Okay, so maybe I used a bit too much power there.  "Ridiculous, aren't they?"
That got me a nod.  "Indeed.  Anyway, Opel picked up another signature on the craters in there.  It matches yours-"
-I most pointedly did not tense up, remaining as relaxed as I'd been since he brought up the second signature-
"-about as much as any mage off the street would."  Acous shot me a disarming smile.  "Which means you've done me, the task force, and the entire TSAB quite a service.  I've already arranged for the standard reward to be deposited into your account for that."Perfect.  Exactly what I'd hoped, even if it were a bit touch-and-go here and there.
I smiled.  "Thanks much, Inspector.  That'll come in handy."  Best not seem too helpful.  "Well, it's been a pleasure, but I really need to move on.  I'll let you know if I run into anything else illegal, okay?"
"Yeah, sure."  Acous gave me a distracted nod, visibly focused on what his dogs were investigating.  "I'll be at this for a while.  You can go on about your life."  He concentrated, and a third dog began to coalesce... before dispersing into a cloud of mana and fading away.  "....never can quite get that right.  Thanks for the help."
I just said my goodbyes, and transferred out.  Three worlds away, I stopped for a bit, and smiled.
...wow.  That just advanced me so many steps on so many plans, it's not even funny.  Now, to the lab!Two more transfers later, a thought hit me.  Sein's not going to like this.

I've been writing a bit.

Bluemage Wrote:Mind if I repost the rewrites, for context and critique?

DO EET!

(And no, I'm not being sarcastic!)

It would be nice. I haven't caught up to the SV version in a while... don't go there that often, y'see.

Been getting hammered by work and home life - gonna be in the middle of moving into an apartment here soon - I'm gonna be popping into SV less and less often here. :p

Okay, then.  Makes my day easier. ^_^This replaces the scenario started here.  I was never all that fond of the original, honestly, so when it came back up I just replaced it. 
The SV version of the SI doesn't have Argus Eyes yet, either, so the old scenario won't really work any longer.  It was a mistake giving it to him so soon; in the rewrite, I've moved it to near the top of the 'Information-Gathering Magic' skill tree.  SV-SI will have to work his way up to it.

"Just another mission", they said.  "We'll help train you afterward", they said.  I flung myself forward desperately, feeling the sting of hostile magic ablating away my barriers as I crossed the gap.
They didn't tell me that 'one mission' was a solo ASSAULT on a freaking PMC BASE!I sighed in relief as I reached the next shipping container, my barriers already flaring back up to full strength.  Check left... clear.  Check right... clear.  Check back... doesn't look like they flanked me while I advanced.  Good.Guess some of that VR training rubbed off on me, after all.I risked a quick look around the side of the shipping container.  Still only three of them.  Same positions. 
FREEM!
A shooting spell flew past my face.  TOO CLOSE!  I ducked back behind cover again.  No way I'm reaching the next container undamaged.  It's twice as far as this one was.  Assuming the enemies aren't stupid, they'll have reinforcements inbound.
Can't advance.  Can't take long enough to aim shots.  Can't simply Blow Crap Up, or I'll bring the whole building down around us.  What can I do?
  While I thought, I stuck my arm around the side of the container, and threw a couple dozen Magic Missiles downrange.  That kept their heads down... wait.  That's an idea.
Start with a Magic Missile.  Compress the shots together... carry the two... and now twenty-one are three.  That should be enough power.  Stick my head out again...

FREEMFREEM!
...and give thanks for their bad aim.  Positions known.  Ranges checked.  [Mal, you have enough data?]
[DATA SUFFICIENT.  CALCULATING FLIGHT PATH.]
Good.  Move to other side of container, pop out- yes, caught one by surprise!  That's a hit!- and duck back in before I get hit.
[WARNING.  TRANSMISSIONS SUGGEST REINFORCEMENTS INBOUND.  ETA: 30 SECONDS.]Great.  Just great.  I popped out, let off another couple shots, and ducked back into cover.  [ANY TIME NOW, MAL!]
[FLIGHT PATHS CALCULATED.  ASSAULT READY.]
Finally!  [On my mark, then.]  I tensed up, wincing as wild shots dug craters into the concrete floor, and prepared an array of Magic Missiles.  [Three-shot groups.  Fire as I aim.]
[UNDERSTOOD.]
The enemy fire slackened momentarily.  I could imagine their thoughts- he's broken contact- prepare to advance!
[Then go!]
The oversized missiles, each as strong as seven normal shooting spells, shot up into the rafters at full speed.  At the same time, I dashed out from behind my cover, and began loosing missile groups at my three opponents, as I ran for the next shipping container. 
Two ducked.  One shielded.  All three quickly returned fire.  The shots cut at my barriers, eroding away the ethereal blue flame over my barrier jacket.  Halfway to the next piece of cover, I was forced to raise a one-handed shield, as the three enemy mages poured everything they had into me.  Two-thirds of the way there, I had to commit my other hand to the shield, stop moving, and brace myself in place as one of the mages did something exceedingly foolish.
...that... felt an awful lot like a Divine Buster.  What was he thinking!  Doesn't he realize he's right under a ten-story building!
Then, just as my shields were about to collapse, the three oversized missiles screamed down from the top of the room... right into my three opponents.
A moment later, three men in casual fatigues lay, unconscious, on the floor of the warehouse.  I stood back up, breathing hard, and managed a shaky jog for the freight elevator.
Got to get there before the reinforcements show up.

I've been writing a bit.

Made it.  Now I just need to... crap.  The elevator's already coming.  [Did you happen to hear where those reinforcements were coming from?]
[YES.]
[So where are they coming from?]  I found a corner with a good view of the entire room, and started scanning back and forth between all the visible exits.  [Are they coming down the elevator, or in the outer door?]
[YES.]
[Oh, ha ha.  ETA on front gate reinforcements?]
[UNCERTAIN.  ESTIMATE 45 SECONDS.WARNING.  ELEVATOR APPROACHING.]
[Yeah, yeah.  I saw it.]  As the elevator entered the room, I sidled up against the inside wall of the room, out of sight of the elevator itself, and got to charging up a prototype spell of mine.  Okay, so I can get in there... how do I beat them once I do?
Heh.  Got it. 
The decision made, I started to charge up two more attack spells.
The elevator locked in place with a satisfyingly heavy kathunk.  A bell clanged several times, after which the elevator gate began to rattle its way open.
Showtime.
The instant the gate was open enough to go through, I ran out in front of the elevator, spun to face it, and triggered my prototype spell.
With a ridiculously loud ROAR of displaced air, the area I was standing in- both myself, and the air around me- went barreling forward at ludicrous speed.  One soldier, unluckily positioned right in my path, found himself flung bodily into the back wall of the elevator shaft by my cocoon of fast-moving air.  The rest dove out of the way, I believe; I was too busy trying not to hit the wall myself to pay too much attention.
My second spell hit the ground, right in the middle of the group of soldiers, and spread out to cover the entire elevator... before yanking everything inside it down into the floor at about 4G.  Myself included.
The grav burst let up after only a second- long enough to get me falling instead of flying, and get the soldiers on the ground.  Perfect.  Everything was in readiness, so I invoked my third spell- a less powerful, area-effect field of inverted gravity.
I was already falling, so the upward pull was just enough to let me land softly and activate my gravity canceller.  My opponents, though, found themselves floating up into the air.  A few quick Magic Missiles, and they were all unconscious enough that I could let them down safely.
[REINFORCEMENTS INBOUND]
I turned to face the outer entrance, where dozens of heavily-armed mages were charging in from both sides, and gave them a jaunty wave.  Too late, guys.  A push of a button later, and the elevator was on its way back up into the complex.

I've been writing a bit.

The elevator locked in place with another nice, solid kathunk, but I wasn't on it.  I was already halfway across the level, having flown up the shaft and burnt open the elevator gate seconds after hitting the button.
I landed on the other side of the level... and barely stopped myself from slapping my forehead in chagrin.  Where's the ambush?  I was expecting an ambush.  Shouldn't these guys be setting up defensive positions?
There were only three guards on this level- three highly bored guards, sitting in a breakroom off to one side of the unloading area.  When they saw me, they jumped to their feet, fumbled for their Devices... and then got blasted back into their chairs, unconscious.
Okay, that was just sad.
Now, my objective is on the top floor.  What's the best way to get up there?  Elevator's too easy to take out or shut off, so maybe the stairs?
A quick examination of the floor revealed a clearly-marked stairwell, off in one corner.  Only goes up four levels?  Hooray for the first well-thought-out bit of security this whole trip.Eh, why not?  I floated up the stairwell, took up a position to the side of the door to L4, and threw it open with a burst of grav-mana.
...wow, that's a lot of fire.  Registering... five different colors of mana there.  Not getting through that door without a shield up, and even then I don't like my odds.
So how do I beat this?  Frontal assault's risky and/or doomed, I don't have the time to play it safe and snipe them, and I need access to that level.
Never mind.  I've got an idea.
The door flew open again.  In the quarter-second or so before the soldiers on the other side reacted, I got a good look at the room on the other side, and then pulled my head back out of the line of fire.  Holding the door open (keeping it falling back into the room, technically), I waited for the mages on the other side to stop firing, and then yelled in "You couldn't hit the broad side of a planet if you were on it, assholes!"
Then I ran down the stairs before they could shoot me through the wall.
Level three was, fortunately enough, undefended.  The rooms on either side of the hall looked for all the world like a call center I'd been in once- lots of cubicles, each with a headset and a basic terminal in them, and very few walls.
Okay, the barricade was 6.7 meters back from the door.  That makes it... here.  Thirty missiles ought to do it.  [Fire when ready, Mal.]
[FIRING.]
After the dust cleared, I was faced with a slight problem.  Okay, the light's gone, and so are the panels around it.  Floor's still intact, though.[AMF DETECTED.  MODERATE IN STRENGTH.]
Oh, really?  Sensible of them.  Guess I'll need to burn through it.  [Arcane Buster, Malleus.  Half power.  Verify non-lethal.]
[NON-LETHAL MODULE VERIFIED ACTIVE.  CHARGING BUSTER.]
The whine of my spell filled the hallway.  If there was anybody left on this floor, there was no doubt they'd heard it... but I was willing to bet the solid metal floor of L4 was thick enough that they couldn't hear me from there.
[Fire.]
[FIRING]
If anybody on L2 didn't hear me charging the buster, they definitely heard me fire it.  A torrent of blue light erupted from Malleus, slamming into the ceiling with a deep boom.  For a few seconds, the edges of the beam sparkled, power dissolving off of the spell into the air... but then the core of the beam cut through the AMF, and bit into the ceiling.  One second later, I cut power to the beam, and threw a light inverted-grav zone on the floor.
Once all the rubble had floated up into the hole, I lifted my right arm, pointing Mal up into the hole I'd made, and began to focus.
[Arcane Blast.  Non-lethal.]
The ball of light that appeared over Mal's barrel was small, in comparison to the Buster I'd just used.  It was, in fact, the smallest Arcane Blast I'd ever produced.  That said, it was still enough to make me grin viciously.  Time to clear the room.
Even at the lowest setting I could manage, the resulting explosion shook the building a bit.
I floated into L4 cautiously, with a shield up and my barriers as strong as I could make them... only to find unconscious bodies strewn across the area, and a gaping hole in the ceiling....I think I just accidentally my way up to L7, and I'm fairly sure that's another AMF up there.  Cool.

I've been writing a bit.