Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: Hey Look there's a lot of Typewriters!

Alloys (Avatar The last Airbender)
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7212302/1

A Victorius Failure, a W40K one-shot by bissek.

Moonbeam, a My Little Pony Friendship is Magic fanfic. Complete.

Set after the two-part pilot, but a few episodes of the actual show make appearances as continuity nods.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I don't remember this one being rec'd before: Second Bloom

Naruto, Sakura-centric. Peggy-Sue. Started three years ago, updated this week. Past 100k words and climbing.

Very carefully written, if that makes any sense. Given that it's that old, it probably has been rec'd before and I forget.

www.fanfiction.net/s/7235799/1/New_Game_Plus
New Game Plus, a Haruhi Suzumiya one-shot by Durandall.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

The stuff you find reading authors' other fics:

Marilyn's Wish -- BTVS/Munsters Xover Fic from 2007. Oneshot.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll

Shepherd Wrote:www.fanfiction.net/s/7235799/1/New_Game_Plus
New Game Plus, a Haruhi Suzumiya one-shot by Durandall.

Huh. ... Does anyone know what a "Pillar of Haruhi Suzumiya" is?

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.

Cobb sounds an awful lot like a name I saw on the web archives for the fukufuc mailing list. I think I recall that guy working in Haruhi, but I could be mistaken.

*Tracks something down.*

http://www.chez-vrolet.net/pipermail/ffml/

Okay, there is a Henry Cobb posting in a thread labeled 'Pillar of Haruhi Suzumiya' in the July 2011 archives, and maybe earlier. You might have to dig back a ways to get at the message with the story.

"Pillar of Haruhi Suzumiya" was a one-shot-ish fic I saw on the FFML recently.
ETA: The Henry Cobb posting of 7/28/11 is the original, apparently. He's starting seriously in media res.
Relevant postings in story order:
http://www.chez-vrolet.ne...ml/2011-July/003097.html
http://www.chez-vrolet.ne...ml/2011-July/003102.html
http://www.chez-vrolet.ne...ml/2011-July/003107.html
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

This is just begun, and a bit on the short side, but the idea is charming, the execution is practically letter-perfect, the three-way crossover it presents makes perfect sense in context, and it shows real promise: Inter-Library Loan. I've put it on my TTH tracking list, which is not a common thing.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:This is just begun, and a bit on the short side, but the idea is charming, the execution is practically letter-perfect, the three-way crossover it presents makes perfect sense in context, and it shows real promise: Inter-Library Loan. I've put it on my TTH tracking list, which is not a common thing.
The header says that it is #7 in a series.  Do you think those stories are required reading for this, or can we figure out what we need as we go along?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Quote:The header says that it is #7 in a series. Do you think those stories are required reading for this, or can we figure out what we need as we go along?
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I haven't the faintest clue about the series. The sole existing chapter doesn't seem at all dependent upon you knowing much about it. As future chapters, who knows? But I suspect that just knowing that the overarching story cycle seems to be about the post-BTVS establishment and growth of a successor to the Watchers' Council will be enough to get you through.
ETA:  Oh, and it does say at the very top that it's independent of the main plot of the "Haven" series.  The "#7 in a series" thing is a boilerplate warning automatically generated by TTH because the author chose to "package" this story with the others.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:The header says that it is #7 in a series. Do you think those stories are required reading for this, or can we figure out what we need as we go along?
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I haven't the faintest clue about the series. The sole existing chapter doesn't seem at all dependent upon you knowing much about it. As future chapters, who knows? But I suspect that just knowing that the overarching story cycle seems to be about the post-BTVS establishment and growth of a successor to the Watchers' Council will be enough to get you through.
ETA:  Oh, and it does say at the very top that it's independent of the main plot of the "Haven" series.  The "#7 in a series" thing is a boilerplate warning automatically generated by TTH because the author chose to "package" this story with the others.
Ah, ok.  Thanks.  Off to read now...
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I'd say you should read the whole series, it's quite good.

Quote:I'd say you should read the whole series, it's quite good.
I probably will, when I get around to it; the second chapter of Inter-Library Loan is up and it definitely includes material that will leave you wondering how the Scoobies got from season 7 to here. And I've only read the first few pages so far.
-- Bob
---------

http://www.equestriadaily.../07/story-past-sins.html
Past Sins
(My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
Quote:On a dark night filled with even darker magics, an insane cult attempts to give Nightmare Moon a body and life of her own, utterly separate from Princess Luna. But, when the spell is interrupted by Celestia, something unexpected is created.
The story has just been heavily revised, with chapters 10-13 being almost completely rewritten, and, by and large, I think it comes off better for the change.  Also, don't look too closely at the title art, because spoilers.  This story is rated 6/5 stars over on Equestria Daily, a rating I think it deserves.
-----

Jorlem Wrote:http://www.equestriadaily.../07/story-past-sins.html
Past Sins
(My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
Seconded. So. Hard.

-- James Nicoll

RE Past Sins: does the author get any better at showing and not simply telling what's happening? That was an issue with their Portal/MLP fic, and two chapters into this it's still an issue.

He's made some extensive "show, don't tell" revisions recently.

-- James Nicoll

My(stara's) Little Ponies: Friendship is Adventuring
A D&D (Mystara) / My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic crossover
By John Biles
Who swears this will not end up a 2,000 page epic.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=197864

Quote:By John Biles
Hands up, everyone who believes him?

Thought so.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Thought so.
 You forgot the crickets chirping sound effect. [Image: banana-dance.gif]
 Brian Yaple
 BYapes@aol.com
Brian Y.
Seed Chronicles

BYapes Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Thought so.
 You forgot the crickets chirping sound effect. [Image: banana-dance.gif]
 Brian Yaple
 BYapes@aol.com
No, I just checked, even the crickets are stunned shocked that Mr. Biles made the oath....

http://www.fanfiction.net...9127/1/Wings_of_Frontier

Some fifty years after Rin's death in the Zentraedi Apocalypse, Emiya Shirou makes his way to the Frontier colony convoy, to take up a piloting position with Skull Squadron of the S.M.S....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I'll second Friendship is Adventuring; it's a comedy goldmine. And it's Biles.