Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: Hey Look there's a lot of Typewriters!

Biles works hard, and the stories he writes are often remarkably congruent with what I like to read. If he says it isn't going to make 2,000 pages, I am going to suspend my disbelief, unless I find out otherwise. (I will note that pagecount is actually fairly easy to manipulate compared to word count.) On my pride as a reader for my WSoD, I raise my hand. (It isn't hardly that much WSoD at all compared to the because magic energy generation in his UFP and Mai-Hime stories, which I would also recommend if they haven't been already.)

Dear sweet God, I think I'm turning into a Bronie...

This guy's got one story under his belt and a sequel in the works now (up to Chapter 2).

What happens when SG1 get themselves mis-dialed to a certain world that has talking ponies?

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2947896/Bosstone

Welcome to the herd, etc etc.

MLP has, IMHO, the better reason for spawning a lot of fanfic: Good characters that are easy to "grok" and an open-ended episodic structure.

Unlike, say Zero no Tsukaima, which is the "wasted potential" reason: Good characters and a great setting for political intrigue... wasted on a status quo is god harem comedy with a tsundere main girl.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Well, Foxboy, the author for these fics went the extra step and nailed characterizations for the SG1 team dead on - right on down to the incessant punning, lampshading, and totally outrageous quips. Observe!

Quote:Pinkie, naturally, sprang to her feet and starting bouncing off in the direction of the farm, singing,"Ohhhhh, we're not chicken-clucking,
Piggy-mucking,
Ducky-ducking,
Feather-plucking,
Corn husk-shucking,
Soda-sucking,
Run-amoking,
Hockey-pucking,
Woodchuck-chucking,
We're just aaaaaapple-bucking!"
She
kept singing, but by then had gratefully bounded out of earshot.
Applejack shook her head and smiled at O'Neill, giving him a
what-can-you-do shrug, before following Pinkie out of the camp with
Rarity in tow.
O'Neill let himself fall backward, staring up
through the tree canopy into the bright blue sky beyond. "Major," he
groaned out as he rubbed at his eyes. "When we get back to SGC, remind
me to see the doc for a diabetes test." He frowned up at the sky before
demanding of nobody in particular, "And how did she avoid F?"
Oh, this one had me in stitches!  (^_^)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7180034/1/ Souls_Light

desden/nge

project gehirn needs some "specialized" advice on getting the AT field working, and Lea wants a favor.... enter harry dresden, wizard.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7272628/1/

Sleeping Beauty

A Nanoha/Madoka oneshot by EarthScorpion

Edit:
Michael Bay Presents
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Revenge of the Unicorn God Slayer:  Part 1: The Horn of Destiny
Now showing in hyperlinks near you!
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

www.fanfiction.net/s/7260807/1/Downfall
Downfall (another Haruhi Suzumiya fic by Durandall, complete)
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

alice in wonderland/naruto. (can have spoilers for a alice in wonderland game) humor/horror.

http://www.fanfiction.net...377/1/Butterfly_Genjutsu

I haven't seen this rec'd here before

Triage (Naruto)

A interesting twist on the Sakura-Peggy-Sue concept.

If you know exactly how to do techniques with the least amount of chakra possible, even a new genin with minimal reserves... can make a difference, or save a life.

K sai Wrote:I haven't seen this rec'd here before

Triage (Naruto)

A interesting twist on the Sakura-Peggy-Sue concept.

If you know exactly how to do techniques with the least amount of chakra possible, even a new genin with minimal reserves... can make a difference, or save a life.
Pretty solid.  Well-written thus far, and the author avoids the Mary Sue thing.

Quote:Pretty solid.  Well-written thus far, and the author avoids the Mary Sue thing.

Thanks for the seconding; I was of two minds of whether it was suffering Mary-Su'ness or not - what impressed me was the clever use of the combination of !FutureKnowledge and !AdvancedMedicalKnowlege to achieve results - as opposed to the usual, "LOLz HAXOR !Future Knowledge = skills/jitsu/spell upgrades OMGPWN all badguys in advance ninjitsu/igpay atinlay" approach that is often taken with many Peggy-Sues.

That said, it is early days yet. "Le Haxor" may be yet waiting in the wings.

Here's another rec: Catch 22 - Naruto if it was called "Sakura" instead. 

Follows the cannon until the timeskip then drifts off. Author uses the trick of chaining together completely unrelated scenes to create a view of 'The Naru-verse' from Sakura's point of view - without having to rehash the same old  storyline over and over. The early chapters are almost a collection of interconnected drabbles - would make no sense without prior Naruto knowledge, but nicely done IMO. As the story becomes more AU each scene becomes more detailed e.g. no suffering through Wave Arc, but Danzo going completely insane after becoming the Hokage in the fifth chapter is a fully written story, not a scene.

I'd add a strong Maturity and possibly NSFW warning on the story as it takes a much more realistic look at the concept of a 'Ninja-verse', especially by that fifth chapter.

Just run into the works of SpaceAnJL I haven't seen it before but some of it has been around for ages so, others may have already seen it.

Her Firefly work is excellent - Post Serenity without changing the events of the movie, which in my experience, is unusual.

An OC hires the crew to haul basic supplies from Persephone to one of the Rim moons. Warning for Jayne/OC Fluff but it builds slowly and logically so it doesn't feel like Mary-Sue.

The stories are mostly told from the crew's POV, especially Jayne's. The OC is (I think) a quiet SI, but written so well that it feels like a Whedon Character. Her only special ability appears to be in the galley - making protein taste good - but since all Whedon characters have at least one buff of awesome inbuilt, it doesn't really register.

There is a whole collection of stories in the same continuity - I suggest starting with the first/oldest Another Girl, Another Planet and moving on upwards.

The slow character development of the crew - esp. the Jayne backstory and the slow development of the 'River going after Mal but he doesn't know it' subplot is excellently done, as is Zoe dealing with Walsh's death. The Inara-Mal thread is also dealt with in a way I haven't seen before, which actually addresses why the pair never came to terms with each other in the series that makes perfect sense, but does your head in at the same time - perfect 'Jossing'.

EDIT: A day or so after posting this, I found out the Author has stopped writing in that continuity. Last update is in '07 some time, so I doubt we'll be seeing any more of it. Such a pity

I actually wound up reading the author's 'Big Bang Theory' fic (I didn't know such a thing existed) first, before noticing the Firefly - and despite having only seen about an hour of the show in bits in pieces over the years - found it good and in character (based on what I've seen of the show). It's probably completely AU/wish fulfilment but the slow Shelon/Penny development of The Paladin Protocol kept me clicking next right through to the end.

Quote:K sai wrote:

Thanks for the seconding; I was of two minds of whether it was suffering Mary-Su'ness or not - what impressed me was the clever use of the combination of !FutureKnowledge and !AdvancedMedicalKnowlege to achieve results - as opposed to the usual, "LOLz HAXOR !Future Knowledge = skills/jitsu/spell upgrades OMGPWN all badguys in advance ninjitsu/igpay atinlay" approach that is often taken with many Peggy-Sues.

That said, it is early days yet. "Le Haxor" may be yet waiting in the wings.
Yeah.  There's some truth there, but I don't think that's where the author is going.  This Sakura is being presented as an only moderately-sized fish in a very large pond.  "I have to make very sure that none of these five different groups even start to pay attention to me in any meaningful sort of way, or I'm just dead" and "I'm having to leverage my future skills as hard as I can just to try to keep up with the natural talents of my teammates" is about as far from "OMGPWN" as you can get.  Still, as you say, we shall see.

Patriot's Dawn Naruto AU

I keep thinking I've read this before - or seen it rec'd here - but a search isn't turning it up. Naruto is warned by Itachi on the night of the Massacre that he's a target - forcing him to bend his mono focus tendency to survival and gaining strength, rather than recognition from that point on.

BTW, does anyone know of any decent fics where Danzo isn't a cartonnishly evil badguy?

Quote:Jinx999 wrote:

BTW, does anyone know of any decent fics where Danzo isn't a cartonnishly evil badguy?
Sealed Kunai, which gets mentioned on the update thread, has a fairly competent and rational Danzo, though it also has a fairly OC Naruto.

----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?589100

A Stormy Relationship

Sailor Moon (Ami/Makoto shipping)

by Shadowjack
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Deadpan29 Wrote:
Quote:Jinx999 wrote:

Sealed Kunai, which gets mentioned on the update thread, has a fairly competent and rational Danzo, though it also has a fairly OC Naruto.

I just got through reading this, and it's nicely epic.
Basic setup: Danzo takes Naruto under his wing when Naruto is 4. Trains him up. By 8 he's pretty elite, not quite Itachi's level but hardcore. Then Jiraiya finds him, and he and the Hokage slap a memory-suppression seal on him to try to give him a semblance of a childhood and a chance to break Danzo's brainwashing. It works, kinda...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:No bloodlines, or special techniques (no Shadow clone until AFTER wave - and no Team 7)- just getting serious and finding decent teachers much earlier results in a much scarier and realistic version of Naruto than canon - this one I can believe could get to Pein's level without Timeskip handwavium tricks.
Err... what?  Handwavium?  I think your confused... the Sharigan wasn't involvd in that fight... Personally, I am convince the Sharigan is a stealth parody at this point...  notably after it was revealed that:

And now for something Completely Different:  The Date (Incredibles) This is old and hasn't updated in ages, but I found it funny. Think of it as a two shot. Post movie. 

Violet invited Tony out for a movie that day at the track and field.  Lucky guy right? But imagine having to make small talk with her father when you turn up that night. A very in character look at the typical 'father intimidates boyfriend' scenario in the Incredi-verse.

The War of Kings by Pale Wolf   Code Geass X F/SN  crossover
An awesome two chapters so far. Greatly recommend it.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=199012

If you're a member of the forum, can you post that Lancer appears to be Scáthach?

Quote:'Hi, I am the Second Coming of the Fourth Hokage... I trained a lot you know? No, Seriously, I can fight and use strategy and think and everything.... I trained... believe it!'
I have a rather difficult time picturing you not using the word, 'Narutard', on a regular basis.  Your description is that of a near textbook 'I haven't actually watched this series, but I know it sucks' elitist and your using the annoying English Dub translation catchphrase... which I don't recall ever even have been said in the second series.  Not claiming it wasn't... but I can't recall it coming up.  In fact, your complaints about the series are largely reversed by season.
For instance, its a major plot point that Naruto has a berserker mode in the second series... one that his control over keeps deteriorating in the second series.  Its actually common for those who have watched the series to wonder why Naruto bothered going with ero-senin as most of his time seems to have been frustrated, free study.  The one thing that he did do for Naruto left Naruto with a barely controlled at best berserker trait and ero-senin bed ridden for months.
The main reason Naruto is considered a moron, in the first place/series, is that he had active sabatoge of his traditional education.  Naruto had to basically steal his education and only failed as the test was geared towards making Naruto fail.  Naruto basically pulls off a midrank jonin team level (or higher) mission just to get out of the academy.  One of the reasons Naruto grows so fast is that Sakura and Kakashi keep telling him things he doesn't know, but clearly should.  Granted this is useful for background exposition for those watching the show, but sad that a 15 minute lecture, of something so basic, was not often repeated material in that school.  I have a pet theory that Sakura is on the frontline combat team in order to rant stuff at Naruto, which I'm pretty sure happens off screen... it would happen more on screen, but that would eat of Sasuke's screen time.  People are constantly suprized that Naruto has a brain in the first series... his nickname of 'dead last' specifically to reflect this.    They actually show people in series working this out and being confused that Naruto isn't a blithering idiot.
In short, please do not write hate speaches on series you haven't even watched... that is pure trolling.
Sorry to have offended...
Never mind. My apologies for the miscommunication

Necratoid Wrote:The main reason Naruto is considered a moron, in the first place/series, is that he had active sabatoge of his traditional education.  Naruto had to basically steal his education and only failed as the test was geared towards making Naruto fail.
Really? Can you point me to an official source for this assertion? As I actually sort of like the series, I've watched every single episode that has actually been aired by my local cable provider (up to season 5 of Shippuden) and read most of the manga, but cannot recall any proof that anyone (even Mizuki) actively sabotaged Naruto's education.
Perhaps the real reason Naruto is considered a moron is (at least partly) because he actually is a moron. If you look at the most recent issue of the manga to come out in Japan, you find a scene in which Naruto (who has been through a huge number of power-ups and several years of secret training) remarks upon an enemy's immunity to a certain type of attack immediately before he attempts to defeat the enemy with that sort of attack. When the attack fails, he makes a statement along the lines of 'D'oh! I'm sooo stupid!' The anime version of him is even worse; many events in the anime could only be explained by gangs of club wielding thugs beating him over the head between scenes.
Of couse, Naruto isn't the only idiot in the series. Most characters do something dumb at one point or another. I was actually quite disappointed by how dumb Shikimaru's plan seemed to be when he was fighting Hidan and Kakuzu, and by how amazed everyone else seemed to be by his supposed genius.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV