Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On heroism
On heroism
The world is full of comforting lies - that truth and justice prevail, that honesty and hard work lead to success, that if we can persevere through today's hardship tomorrow will be better. A hero is a person who goes out and makes them true.

(you can quote me if you like)

Edit: Fixed typo and phrasing
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

One Punch Man Episode 9 is pretty much the high point of heroism for the anime.

Genos's act of self-sacrifice, throwing away what little chance he has of winning the fight to save one life. He's not there to win, he's there to save.

Mumen Rider's fight against Sea King gets the full conventional treatment - the man with no chance against overwhelming odds who stands up anyway because there are people to defend. And in the end he and the other heroes did buy enough time.

And then Saitama wrecking his own reputation to defend that of the other heroes. Again, self-sacrifice for the sake of others. It's easy to say that Saitama is less heroic since there's literally nothing seen that can harm him physically. But he's certainly vulnerable in other ways and here he shows that he's still just as heroic as he was in the flashback to before he started training.

Which is probably a good thing, given the next arc shows us most of the S-rank Heroes range from anti-hero to villain-with-good-PR...
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
The world is full of comforting lies - that truth and justice prevail, that honesty and hard work lead to success, the if we can persevere through today's hardship tomorrow will be better. A hero is a person who goes out and tries to make them true.
Ruby and Roman Torchwick make this exact point in their conversation in the most recent episode of RWBY. (Vol 3, episode 11)
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

Really? That's actually happened a few times, that I'll be thinking about something for a few days or weeks and just as I get it suitable for public view, something almost identical gets released in some popular media outlet I'm at best tangentially aware exists. Oh well, I still like the way I put it, except for a couple of typos I'm about to fix.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Quote:Deadpan29 wrote:
The world is full of comforting lies - that truth and justice prevail, that honesty and hard work lead to success, the if we can persevere through today's hardship tomorrow will be better. A hero is a person who goes out and tries to make them true.
Ruby and Roman Torchwick make this exact point in their conversation in the most recent episode of RWBY. (Vol 3, episode 11)
Torchwick was so cowardly he became a mass murdering terrorist willing to help burn civilisation down, rather than take a stand. No wonder he got so ranty at Ruby Smile It's actually really interesting when you consider what he started out as, and what he became. There's similar examples of both paths with Blake and Emerald, now that I think about it.

Really? That's actually happened a few times, that I'll be thinking about something for a few days or weeks and just as I get it suitable for public view, something almost identical gets released in some popular media outlet I'm at best tangentially aware exists. Oh well, I still like the way I put it, except for a couple of typos I'm about to fix.
Well, to clarify, Torchwick lectures Ruby about the comforting lies being lies and various hard truths of "the real world" while kicking her around on the top of a stolen military airship in the middle of everything going straight to hell on a city/kingdom (possibly world) -wide scale.
Then Ruby comes back and says that she doesn't care what Torchwick says, she and her friends are going to beat him and save the day anyway.
Your version is more succinct, while that scene is an example of the principle in operation.  
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

Heroes have an infinite capacity for stupidity. Thus are legends born.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

"Oh, rats."  The redhead sat down again.   "I thought you might be a hero; you can talk them into anything.  Stupid creatures."-- Talking to Dragons, Patricia C. Wrede, 1985
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

The big problem is that Heros tend to survive their idiocy, often at a detriment to everybody else.

Which segues directly to an RPG I picked up recently: Wield. Where you're a magical weapon, wielded by a succession of people that humans call heroes but that you call pawns.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Quote:Manytales00 wrote:
The big problem is that Heros tend to survive their idiocy, often at a detriment to everybody else.
Heroes may survive their idiocy. Surviving their legend is a different thing altogether.  
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016 ... -booktalk/
--------------------------------
Je ne suis pas une Intelligence Artificielle Turing. Je suis Charlie.