Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a fic
RE: Looking for a fic
It wasn't a hosting site, apparently. Just somewhere to share favourites from anywhere.
I was just reminded of this fic by an All The Tropes page where I hope to include it as an example, but I can't remember what it's called and can't find it with Google with the information I have. I hope someone will be able to recognize it and provide a link to it:

Farscape fic: Crichton discovers Aeryn had a stuffed toy as a girl -- which turns out to be a dead ringer for a wooly mammoth. Following up on this, he finally sees a globe/map of the Peacekeepers' home world -- and it's Earth, 50,000 years in the past.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay, another one for my list of lost fics:

Love Hina fic, written fairly early on, not too long past the North American release of the volume with the scene where Suu steals Shinobu's first kiss.

Suu and Shinobu are a married couple, with at least one child. They haven't been back to the inn in years, but are finally visiting it and reminiscing about all the old friends who they haven't seen since they left. The fic ends with all the rest of the cast also arriving, surprising them and turning the visit into a family reunion.

Sound familiar to anyone? I know I used to have a saved copy, but I'm guessing I lost it in the thumbdrive crash a decade or so ago that I've occasionally mentioned in this thread. I appear to have only three LH fics in my archives, and it's not one of them.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(06-17-2022, 10:37 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Okay, this one SHOULD be easy, since I'm sure it's recent and possibly still active - within the past couple weeks, maybe a month, I read a Star Wars fic, I think on AO3, where the MC (90% sure female) is inserted "too soon to train with Luke, too late to fight in the Clone War; just in time to ask Master Skywalker what to do, because they're inside the Temple."

Knowing she'll be too young to gain the skill and power to survive Order 66, she makes her peace with the idea of just enjoying the time in between as already more than she'd expected after dying in her first life, and... does... stuff? Lots of sneaking out of the temple to explore the city, and I specifically remember that she makes a point of interacting with the clones of the Coruscant Guard and discovers that some of them do know about the control chips, and that orders and procedures coming out of the Palpatine administration are kinda hinky,  but can't talk about either matter due to the combination of the two. I believe that nosing around further to try to find proof of that stuff was where it left off at the time.

Any ideas?

I think I found it (completely by accident) 

Maria vs the Jedi Cult

Quote:Summary:
Reborn just in time to join the rest of the younglings in asking Master Skywalker what they were going to do because there were too many of them.
Oh well, she had future knowledge, a tendency to be overlooked and forgotten about by the Creche Master, and the reckless abandonment of someone who knows when they die.

AKA

Maria, a fan from our world, wakes up in GFFA and decides that she isn't here for a long time, but a good time. She's not here for the whole cult thing of the Jedi, but she will annoy the Sith whenever she can. Though if the Coruscant Guard could be a bit less good at spotting the unaccompanied Jedi child wandering the Senate, that would be appreciated.
Yup, that's it! Thanks.
--
‎noli esse culus
(04-04-2022, 07:37 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, here's one, challenge rank 9 for lack of surrounding detail:

Harry Potter fic. There's a scene where Harry's in a car with a friendly Muggle adult, a lawyer. Prompted by him, Harry gives him a single pound note as a "retainer" to invoke lawyer-client confidentiality on some matter.

That's it. I'm completely at a loss for the surrounding plot; all I remember is that scene.

Thanks!

It’s not a muggle lawyer, but maybe it was this story? A Matter of Law
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(07-24-2023, 07:05 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 07:37 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, here's one, challenge rank 9 for lack of surrounding detail:

Harry Potter fic.  There's a scene where Harry's in a car with a friendly Muggle adult, a lawyer.  Prompted by him, Harry gives him a single pound note as a "retainer" to invoke lawyer-client confidentiality on some matter.

That's it.  I'm completely at a loss for the surrounding plot; all I remember is that scene.

Thanks!

That scene tickles a memory, a very old fic where 11-year old Harry was taken in by said lawyer's family, who end up getting murdered further ahead in the story. I think that Harry got the usual white owl as a pet, but named her Polgara after the Belgariad character.
(04-04-2022, 07:37 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Harry Potter fic. There's a scene where Harry's in a car with a friendly Muggle adult, a lawyer. Prompted by him, Harry gives him a single pound note as a "retainer" to invoke lawyer-client confidentiality on some matter.

Hm. The story I'm thinking of is something I'm pretty sure I read several years before that one was released, but I'll give it a look and let you know. Thanks!
-- Bob

(07-24-2023, 07:37 PM)nemonowan Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 07:37 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Harry Potter fic.  There's a scene where Harry's in a car with a friendly Muggle adult, a lawyer.  Prompted by him, Harry gives him a single pound note as a "retainer" to invoke lawyer-client confidentiality on some matter.
That scene tickles a memory, a very old fic where 11-year old Harry was taken in by said lawyer's family, who end up getting murdered further ahead in the story. I think that Harry got the usual white owl as a pet, but named her Polgara after the Belgariad character.

If you can find it, or just remember the title, let me go. As I said above, I'm pretty sure the one I'm remembering is at least a few years older than 2020.

Thanks!
-- Bob

Here's another one I barely remember, that I'd like to identify so I can use it as an example on an All The Tropes page:

Ranma fic, late 90s or early 2000s. Ranma is cajoled into going to a wild teen party thrown by some of his schoolmates at Furinkan. He ends up there in girl form, is drugged and raped. I remember almost nothing else except for vague snippets of girl!Ranma waking up in a bedroom at the party and stumbling home, not quite understanding/recalling what happened. The story was never completed, but there was quite a bit after the party about Ranma coming to terms with what happened.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?
-- Bob

I vaguely remember it as well, but not enough for a name/author. I think I read it on the FFML at the time?
Looking for a series of shorts over on Twisting the Hellmouth that had Xander and Faith traveling between worlds. The I'm looking for specificically is a crossover with Wise Man Grandchild.
(08-02-2023, 06:21 PM)RMH999 Wrote: I vaguely remember it as well, but not enough for a name/author. I think I read it on the FFML at the time?

Yes, it would have been a FFML fic. Most of the really old stuff I'm looking for I found on or through the FFML.
-- Bob

(07-25-2023, 07:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 07:37 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Harry Potter fic. There's a scene where Harry's in a car with a friendly Muggle adult, a lawyer. Prompted by him, Harry gives him a single pound note as a "retainer" to invoke lawyer-client confidentiality on some matter.

Hm. The story I'm thinking of is something I'm pretty sure I read several years before that one was released, but I'll give it a look and let you know. Thanks!

Just got around to reading that this week. No, not the one I'm recalling. Harry was very specifically a teenager, and they were in a car when the retainer arrangement was made. Possibly the backseat of a chauffeured vehicle of some sort.
-- Bob

(08-03-2023, 07:00 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 06:21 PM)RMH999 Wrote: I vaguely remember it as well, but not enough for a name/author.  I think I read it on the FFML at the time?

Yes, it would have been a FFML fic.  Most of the really old stuff I'm looking for I found on or through the FFML.

This may or may not be it, but I remember Scott Johnson had the IOU incarnation of Felicia from Darkstalkers (lifted out of the screen courtesy of Professor Treacherous Cockroach's Real Virtuality helmet) provide Dezz Staarlinn (Zedd Staarlinn's affably evil twin, dreamt up before I knew GURPS IOU was going to introduce Evil Twin as a disad) with a link to a similar story, as an address to submit to the FFML mailer if you wanted the current state of the tale in your inbox. I don't specifically remember there being a party involved, or drugging -- I came away with the impression that this had been a random encounter on or about the street, with Ranma-chan confounded as much that it had only taken four boys to overpower her as by what they'd done to her. I remember that turning back into Ranma-kun left him trying to escape from his own skin, and that Akane was mad enough to punch through walls, and started some sort of training regimen with Cologne. Does any of that sound even one iota that lives down the street from familiar?
ISTR one where the McGuffin is that the Ultimate Weakness Moxibustion point temporarily kicked back in and let Hiroshi and Daisuke overpower Ranma-chan, because they thought she was still just play-acting after talking lots of shit earlier and would seriously kick their asses if she was actually not into it. (Boasting about the size of their packages, and Ranma challenged them to prove it? Something like that.) There was something about Genma having used libido-suppressing points on Ranma that didn't apply to the girl form I think? It ended with Ranma using Drowned Twins water to separate into permanent girl and boy halves, because the girl side was hooked on the D while the boy side still couldn't connect to the idea of sexuality at all, as the lust suppression point was designed at Happousai strength, or something along those lines. This was different enough from the initial description I didn't think it would apply, but as things seem to be moving more in that direction...

Anyway, I think it might have been a T. H. Tiger fic, but possibly under a different atnick? I don't remember what the other nom de plumes he went by were, just that there was at least one more.
--
‎noli esse culus
(08-03-2023, 05:29 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: ISTR one where the McGuffin is that the Ultimate Weakness Moxibustion point temporarily kicked back in and let Hiroshi and Daisuke overpower Ranma-chan, because they thought she was still just play-acting after talking lots of shit earlier and would seriously kick their asses if she was actually not into it. (Boasting about the size of their packages, and Ranma challenged them to prove it? Something like that.) There was something about Genma having used libido-suppressing points on Ranma that didn't apply to the girl form I think? It ended with Ranma using Drowned Twins water to separate into permanent girl and boy halves, because the girl side was hooked on the D while the boy side still couldn't connect to the idea of sexuality at all, as the lust suppression point was designed at Happousai strength, or something along those lines. This was different enough from the initial description I didn't think it would apply, but as things seem to be moving more in that direction...

Anyway, I think it might have been a T. H. Tiger fic, but possibly under a different atnick? I don't remember what the other nom de plumes he went by were, just that there was at least one more.

That is called Poke Her.
(08-04-2023, 01:38 AM)Jinx999 Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 05:29 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: ISTR one where the McGuffin is that the Ultimate Weakness Moxibustion point temporarily kicked back in and let Hiroshi and Daisuke overpower Ranma-chan, because they thought she was still just play-acting after talking lots of shit earlier and would seriously kick their asses if she was actually not into it.

That is called Poke Her.

Beat me to it, Jinx. That one I actually know I have in an archive somewhere, and postdates the one I'm thinking of by five or ten years. Thanks, though, Drogn.
-- Bob

(08-03-2023, 07:00 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 06:21 PM)RMH999 Wrote: I vaguely remember it as well, but not enough for a name/author.  I think I read it on the FFML at the time?

Yes, it would have been a FFML fic.  Most of the really old stuff I'm looking for I found on or through the FFML.

I think I actually found my copy of it as I went through cleaning out some really old CD backups...

Choices by Michael Noakes

Here's a stub from the Ranma fanfic wiki that I found after I got the title/author
https://jusenkyo.fandom.com/wiki/Choices_(Noakes)
Ooh, that title definitely rings a bell. 'Scuse me while I check it out.
-- Bob

I didn't get a chance to read a lot, but yeah, that looks to be it. Thanks!
-- Bob

And I know it's not the one I was thinking of, because that one (a) is in script format (b) begins with Akane discovering Ranma-chan afterward, by a roadside as I recall.
I'm pulling my hair out trying to find this particular fic that i wrote, i know i finished it and posted it somewhere, but i cannot for the life of me find it, search functions are not helping. The name of the Fic is "Necromo Shuffle" i know i finished writing it, and i posted it somewhere, but i'll be damned if i can remember where or find the damn thing. Do any of you know where it might be?

For the record it is a battletech fic where the MC is dealing with zombies
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Sorry, Raj, but I don't even recognize the title.
-- Bob