Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recommendations vs. MechaGodzilla II

Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... ou.285190/
Biting the Hand that Feeds You, HP crackfic by (mostly) AJTalon.

When the Fudge Ministry cracks down on trade with Muggles, trying to lock the British Wizarding Economy away from them, various parties respond in many interesting ways.

Pansy Parkinson runs away from home.
Susan Bones and Hannah Abbot take up Potter-Stalking.
The Weasleys expand their garden.
And Severus Snape, deciding to make a bit of Muggleside cash, turns his prodigious potions practice to the preparation of the platonic ideal of the potato crisp.
ROTFLMAO!
Especially the scene were Albus plays a surfer dude; never saw him do THAT before!
Nice laugh on a Monday morning after I got out of the hospital in the wake of my foot being amputated and needing a new place to live...
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Quote:Pyeknu wrote:
Nice laugh on a Monday morning after I got out of the hospital in the wake of my foot being amputated and needing a new place to live...
(;;;O_O)Please tell me that you're not serious.

Ack. Somehow my eye slipped over that the first time I read your post, Fred. What BA said.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Sadly, I am serious (no, not Sirius) . . . and if you want to shift this to a different chat line, Bob, please do so.

Regretfully, the diabetic ulcers on my feet finally caught up to me thanks to the first big blast of winter that hit in December. Mid-month, I went to the Welland Hospital to see Dr. Rittenhouse (my orthotic surgeon). He told it to me straight: He'd try IV therapy but if there was no effect, the right foot was coming off.

I told it to him straight: "Doc, take it off."

I've been fighting diabetic ulcers since 2005 and just am tired of all the dressing changes, visits to the nurses and doctors and all the minor surgeries. I want it OVER WITH!

The surgery happened the Friday before Christmas. I convalesced at the Welland Hospital until just after New Year's Day, when I was transferred to the Hotel Dieu Shaver Hospital across the street from Brock University. Got a prosthetic made for my leg and learned how to walk with it, plus have a wheelchair and walker. I can do stairs and manoeuvre around like Doug dancing with Linna in DW2, but it does take a lot more energy than before. That's to be expected, I suppose; I'm 47 and not getting younger.

Was discharged the past Wednesday. I'm now staying with my friend Mike Smith in Niagara-on-the-Lake (east of St. Catharines and north of Niagara Falls), which forces me to wait for certain times to go down to Welland (a twenty minute trip) to see new places to live. Saw one potential place about four blocks from where I work, but am in competition with a lady who lost everything in a fire; the landlady is torn as to which way to go. Atop that, as I'm writing this, I got a call from a potential landlord and am moving to see a room in about an hour.

I'm keeping my spirits up. Yes, there's the depression of the foot loss; I'm a long-distance walker thanks to my time at Robert Land Academy (Canada's only military-theme private boarding school) and the military. But the Saturday after I had the leg taken off, I had an epithany: I'm going back to work!

Much that medical leave does help me sit down and write things (Phoenix From the Ashes and its side stories were all written during my last bout of medical leave), I do want to earn a real salary.

Again, Bob, if you want to move this comment somewhere else, please do so.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

No problem with where it is, Fred. Plus, I can't move individual messages, just threads. I could cut'n'paste it to a new thread, but it would end up under my name as I cannot impersonate a user. So I am of necessity very relaxed about such things.
And I am very sorry to hear about it.  As a diabetic myself (for almost two years now), neuropathy is an issue that concerns me, but my doctor's happy with my sugar levels and feels I have no need for undue concern.  Doesn't stop me from worrying at every odd sensation, though. 
-- Bob
---------

Wakata. Actually, I've got a line on a couple of places in downtown Welland (including the place I mentioned above) which is within easy walking distance of work (about 1 kilometre).

Ooof.

You have my honest sympathies, Pyeknu - there've been a few family members of mine that are lamented because they had diabetic ulcers that turned gangrenous on them.

I'm glad this isn't the case with you though, and I'm also glad to know that you're moving on. Depression sucks! Keep fighting the good fight!

Thanks, BA

Ooof, I have a cousin (my father's first cousin, I'm not sure exactly what that makes him to me, but I treat him like an uncle who tells the best stories) had one of those happen, and he had to have the leg to the knee off...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Below knee or above knee, Foxboy? I'm below knee.

Argh. I've been having circulation issues in my calves for months now, if I can't get them under control (it's due to a basically sedentary lifestyle, I spend 10 hours a day at a desk) I'm facing a similar fate. Keeping my fingers crossed (and my legs moving)....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Keep your spirits up, ECS

Quote:Pyeknu wrote:
Keep your spirits up, ECS
Thanks.
Amusingly, you're less than 2 hours away from me - I live in Rochester NY. If you ever want to get together for gaming, a con, or just to hang out and compare health and wellness horror stories...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

And because I didn't expect this to keep going quite this long, may I ask that further discussion on this and related topics take place in its own thread in General/General? Thank you.
-- Bob
---------

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8390621/1/Life-in-Reverse

Not sure if it's been recced or not before, but it's pretty decent.
Loki falls to earth after the events of Thor. Ends up joining SHIELD of all things.

Next New Message (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Quote:"YOU HAVE THIRTY. SEVEN. NEW MESSAGES," Clint Barton's phone announces. That can't be good.

Huge, huge spoilers for Captain America: The Winter Soldier in this fic, so don't read if you haven't seen it already or don't care. But it's funnier if you've seen it.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

I broke utterly when it got to Falcons first message.

Bleach with a combination of humor and heartwarming: How Coyote Starrk became a Member of the Gotei 13 (On Accident).
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

http://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/about/

From Wildbow, the same amazing guy who wrote Worm. This one is urban fantasy rather than superhero. Note: Wildbow's usual style is dark with plenty of enemies (and bad things) for the protagonist. It's at chapter 5.3 right now; I'd expect several hours of reading as it stands.

Strangers-at-Drakeshaugh
A Harry Potter fanfic written from the point of view of an ordinary housewife in rural Northumbria who's had Harry, Ginny and kids (oldest is five) move in down the lane. The local snob vs. Luna is hilarious.

Folks who know my plans for Drunkard's Walk should know that I'm a fan of The Borribles. Sadly, Borribles fanfic is terribly thin on the ground. However, just today, while digging up details for the All The Tropes page on the trilogy, I stumbled across the very first such fic I have ever seen. Better yet, it is well written. Allow me to recommend Borribles To The End.

Warning: Darkish, and requires familiarity with the source to make sense.

-- Bob
---------

Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
Biting the Hand that Feeds You, HP crackfic by (mostly) AJTalon.
Now (partially) available in edited and cleaned-up form on Fanfiction.net if you don't want to have to wade through 90 pages of comments and "uncanonical" side bits to find installments of the story.

-- Bob
---------

Oh, thank you Bob.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

You're very welcome!
-- Bob
---------

www.fanfiction.net/s/10303720/1/Why-Doe ... -On-Heroes
Why Does the Media Only Pick on Heroes, a one-shot by Adrian Tullberg.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV