Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[RFC] Being You is Deculture
RE: [RFC] Being You is Deculture
This....  is so VERY meta to us here....

https://www.crunchyroll.com/amazing-stra...irl-782960

Basically, 1/6th scale figurine girls come to life and have to deal with the fact that they're fictional characters.

Shenanigans ensue.

12 Episodes at about 13 minutes a piece.  Have fun!
Have you seen the Busou Shinki anime? While entirely aware and expected that they're action figures,it's nearly all about the Shinki dealing with interacting in a world designed for beings a good eight to ten times their size.
--
‎noli esse culus
Agh.  Dammit.  I posted this in the wrong tab....  Meant for this to be over in There's Nothing Better.

Oh well.

As for Busou Shinki, nope, haven't seen that one.

I might as well give a status update while I'm here.

I'm pretty much stalled on the Battle Over Canada.  Because of Garrick butterflying the hell out of things and his systematic humiliation of Kamjin, he decides to finally do things the official way.

Fun Theory: It would make sense if the Zentreadi had a means of dueling in a way that kept perfectly good warriors from killing each other.  A mock battle using things like paint-marker rounds and the like.  It settles once and for all who the better warrior is, and lets the defeated save face by meeting their opponent on the battle field.  This can be supported in how Milia goes after Max - first with the arcade game, and then again with live steel.  (Although the meeting in the arcade was by accident, still...)

And so, the "Battle Over Canada" winds up being a double-showcase: Garrick vs Kamjin and Max vs Milia.

Except I'm just stuck over how the battle would go.  I want to do something that's suitably long and drawn out with plenty of "NO FUCKING WAY!" moments.  Unfortunately, it's hard to find these sorts of fights in mass media.  I should probably look into Jackie Chan's stuff...  but that's usually like hoard mode battle.

Anyhow, I'm going to skip the battle scene for the moment until inspiration decides to finally hit and move on to something I'm sure everyone has been anticipating.

Lynn Fanmei.

AKA Grandma Lynn.

Poor Kaifun will never know what hit him. :V
Oh, I suspect he will know precisely what hit him - that it will be explained, even, in explicit detail for a slow and stubborn student - but be completely unable to avoid or counter it anyway until he learns the lesson she has set. Insert Constellations reference here Wink

Now as to the Kamjin duel - how are you looking to do it? In person? Mecha? Start with mecha, have them blow their respective machines up, then continue in their pilot suits/body armor? I wouldn't rule out Jackie Chan mass-combat mode with mooks fighting all around them and being used as momentary cover, covering fire, or stepping stones, myself. Think about the battle in Project A-ko0 where A-ko & B-ko are fighting in the middle of the alien invasion, then turn to competitively rescuing C-ko, and instead make it Garrick with his Juraian/Washuutech body suit battle armor and a Light Hawk wing or two (however many he can produce) falling out of the sky to land on the nose of a VF (if without the pantsu fanservice) for a few seconds before jumping off as it gets enveloped in plasma bolts and running across/through an Itano Circus in flight to reengage while Kamjin collects himself and shoves loose from the arms of a power armor (Azonia's personal suit?) that caught him after also having to eject to land in the street and continue fighting Garrick on a nearby rooftop.

e: Also, a bit of musical inspiration: Van Halen's Dreams should do very well for the aerial combat portion, with perhaps Hammerfall's Last Man Standing and/or Any Means Necessary for after getting more personal. Or perhaps the other way around if you want to have them represent Kamjin and Garrick's reasons for fighting and narrative momentum rather than the direct action, I suppose.
--
‎noli esse culus
While aggressively not getting into the discussion around TNB due to a severe allergy to forum drama, I am curious if you'll give Garrick's adventures some attention again now that that alternate outlet for creative writing is no longer active. Grandma Lynn has been quite patient with you so far, but I wouldn't want to test her goodwill too much... Wink
--
‎noli esse culus
(05-24-2022, 06:27 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: While aggressively not getting into the discussion around TNB due to a severe allergy to forum drama, I am curious if you'll give Garrick's adventures some attention again now that that alternate outlet for creative writing is no longer active. Grandma Lynn has been quite patient with you so far, but I wouldn't want to test her goodwill too much... Wink

Snrk.

I've been giving it some thought, though mainly I think I'd start off with a rewrite for BYiSuffering - very much needed now that I've seen TM-RO! OVA 4 and 5.  There's some eye-opening shit in there, not the least of which was the official inclusion of Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure.

And I also need to get moving on BYiConvalescence.  With MLP-FiM completely concluded, I can now shotgun the entire series and begin to properly figure out my milestones so I can begin pantsing the fuck out of it.

By comparison, BYiDeculture won't need a whole lot of work - just some tweaking here and there to make correct some mistakes and erroneous assumptions.  But I do very much want to continue with it, rest assured of that!
Reading the thread again, I came across this bit, and thought of a line that might be inserted just after the sigh for Garrick, whether spoken or just as internal narration:

(07-31-2018, 07:15 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I looked Minmei in the eyes and finally said, “You know that I don’t ever tell you anything that I think may even be remotely wrong, right?”

“Well you’re wrong about this.”

I sighed. I wasn’t going to get any further on this matter. But just to remind her, I pulled her into a hug. She turned her face away from me, a petulant glower on her face the whole time. But even so, I left a soft kiss on her cheek and I felt her resolve falter.

“I’m going to go ahead and get something to eat, and then head on back to the barracks. Goodnight, Minmei.”

She said nothing as I closed the door.

(sigh, hug) "And one of the things I love is how ready you are to fight for what's important to you." (she turned away, but... etc.)

Also, in a later part Achika's letter calls Kaifun a cunt, but I think she may yet be overestimating his warmth and depth Big Grin
--
‎noli esse culus