Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[OOC][SI][Multi-Xover] Calling All Writers - There's Nothing Better

Quote:Seraviel wrote:
Rob, what are you looking at in term of personality for your demon assistant? I can try going over the devils I know, just to see if something matches.
I'm looking for somebody who usually lets the assigned person work out his own problems, but is helpful in cases where the self-insert honestly cannot solve the problem on his own. Xellos from Slayers is close, but doesn't have the "helpful in cases where the self-insert honestly cannot solve the problem on his own" part.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Rob, what are you looking at in term of personality for your demon assistant? I can try going over the devils I know, just to see if something matches.
I'm looking for somebody who usually lets the assigned person work out his own problems, but is helpful in cases where the self-insert honestly cannot solve the problem on his own. Xellos from Slayers is close, but doesn't have the "helpful in cases where the self-insert honestly cannot solve the problem on his own" part.
Kurama / Shuichi Minamino from YuYu Hakusho? Bright, his personality fits with what you already wrote, tends to be the aloof member in the back, but doesn't have an issue helping with problems?
(Also, having a plant controller close might help in case of property damage)  
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

I'll have to watch YuYu Hakusho before I can answer that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and I made a slight change to the tech from what I posted here and what I just posted in the IC thread.

EDIT: And let's wait until the characters are settled in before somebody remembers there's many-times-a-day rail service between Ottawa and Montreal. (winks at Seraviel)
--
Rob Kelk

My Gods, My Gods, How Have I Offended Thee to deserve this? I know I've said I'd love to have some magic in my life, but this is a little beyond ridiculous!

I read through the list again and twitched at several names.

Harry Potter. Hermione Granger. Draco Freakin' Malfoy. Konoka Konoe. Yue Ayase. Asuna Kagurazuka. Evangeline Gods-Rotting McDowell?!?

Well, maybe Mana and Setsuna can help keep order with that bunch. If nothing else I can sic the Nakajima pack on them. Subaru, Ginga, and Teana - and it looks like at least three of the Numbers with them...

I hope like heck there are enough bathrooms in this place. And a big enough food budget.

... maybe if I can convince Harry and Chao to help with the cooking, I can keep up with them? I hope?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

...I cannot wait to see what happens when Malfoy pisses off Evangeline.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

My Gods, My Gods, How Have I Offended Thee to deserve this? I know I've said I'd love to have some magic in my life, but this is a little beyond ridiculous!

I read through the list again and twitched at several names.

Harry Potter. Hermione Granger. Draco Freakin' Malfoy. Konoka Konoe. Yue Ayase. Asuna Kagurazuka. Evangeline Gods-Rotting McDowell?!?

Well, maybe Mana and Setsuna can help keep order with that bunch. If nothing else I can sic the Nakajima pack on them. Subaru, Ginga, and Teana - and it looks like at least three of the Numbers with them...

I hope like heck there are enough bathrooms in this place. And a big enough food budget.

... maybe if I can convince Harry and Chao to help with the cooking, I can keep up with them? I hope?
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
I knew that sooner or later, Malfoy was going to mouth off to the wrong person. I did not expect him to be beaten to the punch. (Except possibly by the youngest Mr. Weasley, but then, I have perhaps low expectations.)
"I can understand, I suppose, your desire not to share a room with a - to use your term - 'muggle', Ms Parkinson," I said, settling one hand on the desk the Valkyrie girl had been so kind as to provide. "Her fashion sense aside, however, Ms Kagurazuka is in fact of several generations of magical descent on both sides of her family, and in fact actual magical royalty on her mother's side. If you consider yourself too good for that, then I have rather limited alternatives available. I'm sure Ms Chidori would be pleased to have you... although it would mean that I'd have to inform Sergeant Sagara of your family's ... political affiliations."
If I was the type to enjoy that sort of thing, I'd have smiled when her face went white. She'd already seen the young soldier in action once, after all, and had an idea of how paranoid he could be. I wasn't sure what she could sense from him, whether she knew what the green markings on his face indicated, but if she did...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I'll have to watch YuYu Hakusho before I can answer that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and I made a slight change to the tech from what I posted here and what I just posted in the IC thread.

EDIT: And let's wait until the characters are settled in before somebody remembers there's many-times-a-day rail service between Ottawa and Montreal. (winks at Seraviel)
I'll let you decide when this becomes important. Just remember, if you have something bad happen, I have a wish-engine on call (as much as I wish I hadn't).  
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

No, Eva You are not allowed to sample. Just Hit him till it hurts like everyone else.

Okay guys, Black Aeronaut has misplaced his laptop and while he knows where it is, he will be unable to be on for the next day or two.

Oh and for my sake, do you think you could also state what some of these characters are from? I know a lot of stuff, but as much as I like anime, it is not my forte.

Also, do take into account that other SI/managers may hear about the characters that you are hosting, so, in story, they might have suggestions to help. Like when my SI hears about the crew from Firefly, he may talk to Washu about getting River something to deal with her uncontrolled mind/emotion reading.

Quote:Bloodfox64 wrote:
Okay guys, Black Aeronaut has misplaced his laptop and while he knows where it is, he will be unable to be on for the next day or two.

Oh and for my sake, do you think you could also state what some of these characters are from? I know a lot of stuff, but as much as I like anime, it is not my forte.

Also, do take into account that other SI/managers may hear about the characters that you are hosting, so, in story, they might have suggestions to help. Like when my SI hears about the crew from Firefly, he may talk to Washu about getting River something to deal with her uncontrolled mind/emotion reading.
I'm pulling stuff from:
Harry Potter (close to canon, probably shortly after book 3)Mahou Sensei Negima (original manga, just after the epilogue)Divine Blood (a Ranma/FullMetalPanic/OhMyGoddess crossover, by Thrythlind)
And I am tempted to include one or both of Log Horizon and Sword Art Online (or, to be a little silly, Halkeginia Online).
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Uhhhh, I don't think we are going to include other fanfictions into this and I'll wait for BA to get back from work, but I would hold off on that for the time being.

Quote:Bloodfox64 wrote:
Of course.

My characters are from two of the shows that Blackaeronaut listed in his introductory post: Sailor Moon and A Certain Scientific Railgun.

From A Certain Scientific Railgun:
  • Mikoto Misaka: code-named "Railgun" by the faculty and staff of Academy City. One of the four most powerful espers in that city of multi-millions of people, Mikoto is capable of accelerating coins to speeds that let them penetrate armor (hence her code-name), and has many other electrokinetic abilities. She's in her second year of junior high school.
  • Kuroko Shirai: one year younger than Mikoto, attends the same school as Mikoto, shares a dorm room with Mikoto, and has an unrequited love - no, let's be honest - an unrequited lust for her roommate. Kuroko is a powerful teleporter and a member of "Judgment", the auxillary police force in Academy City.
  • Ruiko Saten: just a normal everyday girl, the same age as Kuroko and Kazari. Occasionally, being "just a normal everyday girl" actually means something.
  • Kazari Uiharu: Ruiko's classmate, Kuroko's partner in the Judgment squad, an excellent hacker, and a low-powered esper. She thinks her esper power is nothing special - but it breaks the laws of thermodynamics.
  • Mii Konori: the eldest of the group, Mii is a high-school student. She's in charge of the Judgment squad that Kuroko and Kazari are members of. Mii's esper ability is x-ray vision.
From Sailor Moon (since some people only know the names they were given in the dub):
  • Usagi Tsukino: Sailor Moon
  • Ami Mizuno: Sailor Mercury
  • Minako Aino: Sailor Venus
  • Rei Hino: Sailor Mars
  • Makoto Kino: Sailor Jupiter
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
BA, one bit to swing by you before posting it in the story thread. Is this within the bounds of how you imagined the setting?And so far, all I've established about SI-my companion's identity is that he's male. Any suggestions, anyone?
Honestly, if you want THE Doctor, I'd be fine with that.  Just bear in mind a couple of things:
The TARDIS is grounded and will not be traveling anywhere in physical space or time - at least not until the climax for Arc 1[*]He'll figure out a way to get around anyhow.  He'll get wanderlust - enough that he'll be seen around the other apartments, getting acquainted with the other Arrivals (hint-hint).  But he'll stick around enough that he can be a regular character for you.
Also, Translation Convention is in effect, and we'll be lampshading the hell out of that mother in a bit.
I wasn't asking about The Doctor, actually. "Rob" is me, the mentioned companion - not Companion - is the local so-far-nameless representative from Nidhogg. (You've already called dibs on the Black Butler. I don't want Senbei or Mara/Maller.)

What I was asking about was the tech. Since Translation Convention is in effect, that isn't an issue... but now I need a fifth "impossible thing before breakfast"... hmmmmm... Or I could keep them anyway and discover they aren't needed. That means a much longer than planned first installment, though.
Well, Sebastian is basically Lord Ciel Phantomhive's gofer - the guy just loves working for the kid so much that he continues to serve him in Hell.  (As for how that happened... Let's just say that he made an impression on Hild, leave it filed under 'Noodle Incidents'.)  That said, since Ciel is basically in charge of managing the finances behind this whole operation (we are NOT handwaving that aspect away), Sebastian will show up as a proxy wherever and whenever Ciel's attention would be needed.
(My group and location being the pilot of the program where all the bugs are hammered out, Sebastion would naturally show up once there were problems.  The property not being what it was advertised would be such a problem.)

So, yeah.  Sebastion and even Ciel are open characters.  If you want them to show up, just make sure it's worthy of their attention.
Where do we put corrections to stuff in the IC thread? Here or there?
(Because there's an error that's blatantly hurting my eyes)
Errr...  Here, I guess?  I mean, the only post in the IC thread I know of is mine.  Please, what did I do wrong?  O_o;
Like I said in my character page, I'm a literal French Canadian of French descent. As such, my first language is French.

Because of that, the phrase 'ja ne sai quois' is physically painful to look at (and my girlfriend agrees). The actual words are 'je ne sais quoi' (I don't know what), and they don't have a plural form (or at least that's what I supposed you were trying).

If anyone else has need of French translations, just contact me. I'm not an actual translator but I'll do my best; and it wouldn't be the first time, given I did quite a bit of that at work.
Thanks, I'll go ahead and fix that once I go back for all the other little fixes.  Can't believe how much I let slip by me!  (>__

Alright, just some nits that I want to pick at...
Yesterday, Rob had a cheque in his hand - enough money to buy the building outright, pay the utility bills and property taxes for a year, and buy new appliances for the apartments. He had proof that the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation did not work that way or that quickly... but there it was.
Now, he didn't have the cheque but he did have the deed to the apartment building, and the appliances were being delivered the day after they had been ordered. He was sure that city hall and large-appliance stores did not work that quickly... but there it was, and there they were.
The deed was in the name of a numbered corporation that didn't exist two days before. Simply visiting a lawyer should not have been sufficient to make that happen, and definitely not that fast... but there it was.
This is exactly what Lord Ciel Phantomhive is in the story to handle.  He purchases the buildings, bankrolls the project, and generally ensures that all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed in regards to regulation and such.  He ensures the buildings have their inspection certificates, that any pertinent permits are gotten, and all that nice jazz.

He is also, the person who is ultimately in charge of hiring the building managers.

In other words, he's your boss.

Your job is to make sure the complex you're in charge of runs on an even keel, that appropriate maintenance, repairs, and upgrades are performed, and that your Special Guests don't run a muck and cause a bunch of collateral damage... or at least, if they do, that it's manageable.

Also, I loved the idea of a complex that had been torn down before was suddenly there again.  It keeps with the idea behind the Metacontinuity, that this isn't quite the Earth we know.  There will be tiny and subtle differences, and they'll grow to be greater and greater ones over time.

Other than that, love what you got there so far.  (^_^)V

Alright, just some nits that I want to pick at...
:Yesterday, Rob had a cheque in his hand - enough money to buy the building outright, pay the utility bills and property taxes for a year, and buy new appliances for the apartments. He had proof that the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation did not work that way or that quickly... but there it was.

Now, he didn't have the cheque but he did have the deed to the apartment building, and the appliances were being delivered the day after they had been ordered. He was sure that city hall and large-appliance stores did not work that quickly... but there it was, and there they were.

The deed was in the name of a numbered corporation that didn't exist two days before. Simply visiting a lawyer should not have been sufficient to make that happen, and definitely not that fast... but there it was.
This is exactly what Lord Ciel Phantomhive is in the story to handle.  He purchases the buildings, bankrolls the project, and generally ensures that all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed in regards to regulation and such.  He ensures the buildings have their inspection certificates, that any pertinent permits are gotten, and all that nice jazz.

He is also, the person who is ultimately in charge of hiring the building managers.

In other words, he's your boss.

Your job is to make sure the complex you're in charge of runs on an even keel, that appropriate maintenance, repairs, and upgrades are performed, and that your Special Guests don't run a muck and cause a bunch of collateral damage... or at least, if they do, that it's manageable.

Also, I loved the idea of a complex that had been torn down before was suddenly there again.  It keeps with the idea behind the Metacontinuity, that this isn't quite the Earth we know.  There will be tiny and subtle differences, and they'll grow to be greater and greater ones over time.

Other than that, love what you got there so far.  (^_^)V

A bit of retcon, then: I never said who owned the numbered company (that owns the building). SI-me would have been the public face with Lord Ciel the actual owner, is all. I'll eventually get around to mentioning that in-story.
--
Rob Kelk

I can work with that, just have it be the canonical FMP crew instead of the DB crew. Or I could be silly and go with the DB 'original' novel that was actually published on Amazon... Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Quote:Thanks Bob. You can go ahead and set one up here in Other People's Fiction. If this get's real popular, though, I'll probably setup a BBS someplace so we don't kill your paid-for page view count.
Okay, will do. I'll move the threads, too, of course. Which, unless you read this while I'm in the process of creating and moving, you will have already noticed.
-- Bob
---------

Thanks Bob!

Now, one last thing to help keep things organized - All postings intended for the in-character BBS, tag them with [IC][BBS]. Also, now that we have our own subsection, you guys can go ahead and start individual threads for stories. (We'll keep using the one I started as a sort of 'Exposition' phase for Arc 1 - everyone getting introduced, their first wave of displaced characters coming in, etc.) Just make sure to tag them as [IC][Story]. All other threads should be tagged with [OOC].

Quote: Devine Blood (a Ranma/FullMetalPanic/OhMyGoddess crossover, by Thrythlind)

Could you please send a link for this
EDIT:

Quote:Time: 1200

Date: September 9,

Pensacola Beach, Pensacola, Florida

I looked from the street at the property that I had been
hired to maintain. It wasn’t a bad site, and the cedar sided two story wouldn’t
be hard to maintain externally with its metal roof. The only detractor I could
see myself was that it was set up similar to an old row house which meant that
the wet wall would likely be the centerline structural wall. The central air
unit was sufficient for the buildings size and the exterior unit was heavily
caged to prevent the theft of the copper inside it. Then there was the twenty
Kw propane powered generator in its own small shed that would kick in when the
power was inevitably knocked out by one storm or another. The shed actually was
attached to the building and also protected the power and water meter’s as well
as the 120-gallon propane tank.

The final deciding factor was that the building was listed
as pet friendly which had been the final requirement for me to say yes to the
job. Now don’t get me wrong, I love my family and the old homestead out in the
woods would always be home, but after my mother’s death and with having to put
down multiple animals in the months since my mother’s death due to their own
age I just couldn’t stay there anymore. There were just too many personal
ghosts to deal with, things I just couldn’t work through at this point in time.

So two dogs joined me in my own two bed one bath apartment
that was the bottom center of the complex on the side away from the gulf. I wasn’t
stupid and I had grown up in the area so I knew exactly what kind of storms
could roll out of the Gulf of Mexico at practically any moment. Oh sure,
hurricanes you usually had at least a few days, (I could predict usually a week
ahead of most weathermen) warning that they were coming so that you could
prepare or evacuate as needs dictated, but plain old gulf storms that blew up
in a night or so could be damn near as nasty, and gale force winds were nothing
to sneeze at. Thankfully parking for the apartments were on the landward side
of the building so I could actually park my Fiat right outside my apartment.

Walking inside I spent a few minutes paying attention to my
girls before heading through the apartment to finish unpacking. I still had to
set up my personal electronics and library shelves as well as put my books in
place before the new tenants arrived. I also needed to lock down my personal armory
as well. Ok, I was a bit of a gun nut, as well as a collector and five years in
the Marine Corps had only given that direction not quelled it, so it was that
the center closet in the apartment, what would for most people be a coat closet
was loaded with a gun safe that would be hell for anyone to try and crack. A seven-digit
passcode as well as a thumb print scanner secured the door so that no hands other
than my own could access the weapons within.

With the last book put away, the last wire connected and the
lock secured on the safe I turned my attention to my future tenants. They were
coming in two different groups, one a merchant group that needed some downtime
and the other a group of school kids from Japan on vacation according to the
initial description. The final files on my charges were supposed to be being
emailed to me, so I was now sitting in my office/library futzing around on my
tablet while I waited. 

Quote:Could you please send a link for this
You can find it http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5175006/1/Divine_Blood]here. For a capsule description (there's a lot of story there), there's the http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Divine_Blood]All The Tropes page for it.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Could you please send a link for this
You can find it here. For a capsule description (there's a lot of story there), there's the All The Tropes page for it.
Also available with serial numbers filed off and the names changed to protect the innocent as a series of ebooks for which you would have to pay actual money. With an RPG setting for more background info. The fanfic reaches further forward in the timeline than the ebooks though less broadly in the scope of the setting in my opinion.So.

Just to reiterate: I'm only allowing the eBook/RPG versions of these characters.

Just make sure you provide some writeups for the characters since they're kinda obscure. (I'd heard of Divine Blood once before, I now realize, and it was on these forums, I think. However, I couldn't get too far into it because of how it all kicks off. Yeeesh.)

Rajvik: Love what you got going there. There's only one last nit-pick:

Only the first group will show up at your door, so to speak. The example I set with Washu-chan's arrival (yes, the explosion is supposed to be the door to her laboratory VIOLENTLY displacing the wall of the manager's office behind a soda machine) is not one that needs to be followed to the T - feel free to get creative in how they arrive.

But the groups afterwards? Chances are they won't come walking in through the door. Instead, once they appear you'll have to track them down. (Furthest limit will be the County/Parish line for wherever your complex is located. Again, get creative - rounding these guys up is supposed to be part of the fun! The other part is the 'culture' shocks.)

Gonna be busy for a few days - my Dad wants me to learn Altium Designer so I can come work for him at Google-X as a printed circuit board designer. That said, though, I'll see if I can't get my next installment up tomorrow/tonight.

Black Aeronaut Wrote:...
Only the first group will show up at your door, so to speak. The example I set with Washu-chan's arrival (yes, the explosion is supposed to be the door to her laboratory VIOLENTLY displacing the wall of the manager's office behind a soda machine) is not one that needs to be followed to the T - feel free to get creative in how they arrive.

But the groups afterwards? Chances are they won't come walking in through the door. Instead, once they appear you'll have to track them down. (Furthest limit will be the County/Parish line for wherever your complex is located. Again, get creative - rounding these guys up is supposed to be part of the fun! The other part is the 'culture' shocks.)
And that answers the question I was about to ask. I might get my "meet the first boarders" scene written before yours, but I'll wait until after you post yours to post mine.
--
Rob Kelk

Okay Rob, the next part is up.

Thanks. (goes and reads) Okay, a couple of changes need to be made to my text.

Oh, yes:
Black Aeronaut Wrote:... She had the most gorgeous and luxurious was raven-black, ...

I think you're missing the word "hair" somewhere in there.

Black Aeronaut Wrote:...
"Hey!" barked Skuld, looking steamed. "Laguage!"
Skuld gave Washu a flat glare. "Rat-screwed the Yggdrasil."

Hey! Language!
--
Rob Kelk