Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] Being You is... Redux? (Warning: Spoilers for Tenchi Muyo OVA 4!!!)
[RFC] Being You is... Redux? (Warning: Spoilers for Tenchi Muyo OVA 4!!!)
Alright, so for those of you not in the know, the first two episodes of the new OVA for Tenchi Muyo have been released in Japan and have already been fansubbed.
And we're seeing some VERY interesting things.

Really, so far there's been a lot of exposition, but it's perfect - it's all tying up everything we've been seeing in Kajishima-sensei's doujins and light-novels, as well as everything from GXP, and culminating in the wedding of Noboyuki and Reia.

One thing is for sure... Garrick's little throw down with Minaho is gonna become a lot more epic!  And as always, while he may not be as well trained... his bag of dirty tricks will keep her off-balance.

Anyhow, what this ultimately means...  Just as I predicted before (here) I'm going to have to rewrite Bring You Is Suffering.  The biggest changes are going to be Minaho, as well as some of the rest of the Family Politics stuff.  Information in other places is also going to be updated with correct info.

However, all the core stuff is gonna stay the same.  It'll just all be a lot less awkward seeming now.  :p

So, advice?  Things you guys think I could do better this go around?

New Tenchi OAVs? I obviously have had this information in the same feed where the news about Cameron's Alita movie was kept.

As for your question, if you think you can do better, go for it. I can't comment on someone's writing until they, y'know, actually write it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

What Bob said (except about the Alita movie, since I'm the one who found out about them casting extras a month after the fact).

I do like what you write. The only problem is that I get to see about as much of your writing as other people get to see of mine. (Yeah, I know.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Black Aeronaut Wrote:Anyhow, what this ultimately means...  Just as I predicted before (here) I'm going to have to rewrite Bring You Is Suffering.  The biggest changes are going to be Minaho, as well as some of the rest of the Family Politics stuff.  Information in other places is also going to be updated with correct info.

As an alternative, you could... *not* rewrite it.

Or at least, you shouldn't feel like you have to because you got run over by new canon. There is no shame in being an AU. If you really think it's worth doing for reasons beyond that, then that's one thing. But I've seen a lot of cases where rewrites hurt more than they help, with neither author nor readers being all that happy going over the same ground again and the whole thing trickles to a halt before catching up with the original story. Seriously consider the amount you think you can improve the story vs. your tolerance for the sort of work involved.

-Morgan.

Bob; robkelk:

Yeah, the fandom has been clamoring over it for a while now. If I'd known you guys were interested I would have dropped a link into the Tenchi Forum. Like this one!
http://www.uselesstenchi.org/Forum/inde ... pic=1030.0

Bear in mind, a lot of the early posts have some pretty dated info, but they do have links to the fansubbed episodes. 1 and 2 are out and subbed already, but 3 isn't gonna be out until sometime late in May.

Morganite:

Oh nononononnyyuuuuuuuu... Some of the shit that's being revealed... I can't say because oh my goodness the spoilers!!! But it changes things. Oooooh my goodness it CHANGES things! Especially where Minaho is concerned.

Oh, and two words: Hyena Corps.
*Cackles insanely*

BA, I think it's safer to assume that whatever forum you happen to be reading at the time is the only one that anybody reads, and re-post on-topic things that I noticed on other forums. That works well more often than not.

Thanks for the link!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yes, thank you. I've downloaded 4-1 and am downloading 4-2 now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Okay, so you guys have undoubtedly viewed the videos by now... So you know about the interesting new information about Minaho.

A fight between Garrick and Minaho... That's going to be one of the biggest things I'll need to rework. She already has a number of scars and is quite proud of them, so that track isn't going to work anymore. I have some ideas in mind, but I wanted to hear what your thoughts on the matter were.

A bit late, I know, but I'll still give you my take on it. That being, yes she already has scars and is proud of what they represent, but the ability of a barely-novice swordsman to put a new mark on her is a significant accomplishment in itself. She's not testing herself, she's testing Garrick, and contriving to make an opening for a telling blow on someone of her level of training and experience is as firm a result about him as any trial by combat can give.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

That's a good point as well... Hmmm...

"Grandmother! How can you take his side?! That was not fair at all!"

"Fair? FAIR? Fair is when you go pet the lambs and ride the ponies. Fair is a luxury. And in case you haven't noticed, I'm the underdog here. The last time I tried being fair I had to get a heart transplant for my trouble. I don't do fair because I don't have that luxury. Don't you dare try to play games with me or else next time I'll leave more than just a mark to remember me by."
Meanwhile, in Tenju, Azusa, Funaho, and Misaki are watching the whole thing go down...  Wink