Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals

While I find the idea interesting, I haven't had time or inspiration to work on the writing projects I'm already involved with.
I haven't had internet access since the tail end of November will probably post something to the IC thread tomorrow late. 

edit: damn small tablet, anyway here is what i have

“You are holding back information,” Rei said to me after I explained to Asuka about the internet and the default search engine that was google. “Why are you doing that?”

I sighed, ”Leave it to Rei to notice what four adults, one of whom is supposed to be an intelligence agent, failed to.” I couldn’t leave the question unanswered though so after a moment of thought on how to phrase it, I answered her with a question. “Ayanami-san, how much of third impact do you remember?”

“All of it,” she answered, “I hurt Ikari-kun by making him decide, I gave each individual exactly what they wanted in their existence. I destroyed the entirety of humanity and pooled it into one entity that had no sense of individuality.”

“I guess that sums it up nicely,” I deadpanned. “The thing is Ayanami-san, they don’t necessarily remember any of that. More importantly they don’t want to remember it because it’s painful. Humans want to remember the good times and try to forget the horrible things in their lives. There are several names for the situation, but the kindest and most accurate in my mind is Selective Amnesia. They won’t remember what happened during third impact, or probably the last few hours leading up to it. I know it because I’ve watched it from an outsider’s perspective and I have to admit, it even gives me nightmares.”

“That still does not explain why you have not informed them of all the pertinent facts of the situation,” the bluenette commented. “Would it not be wise to do so?”

“Small steps Ayanami-san,” I said to her. “You all just stepped out of a serious combat situation where your lives were in constant peril and everyone needs to decompress, otherwise everyone will overstress. Let me carry this burden of knowledge until you have all had a week to relax and integrate into local society. This world is fairly different than yours and getting to know it will have its own stresses.” Rei looked at me closely and then nodded slightly so I continued. “We leave in ten minutes so you will want to get ready.” Once more she nodded before turning and leaving. I knew the conversation we had been having wasn’t over, simply postponed until the situation changed slightly. Off to one side Rio, my elder bull mastiff looked at me with a doggie grin and chuffed. “Oh, like you know better how to handle it huh?” I asked the canine. Her response was to roll over on my bed and show her belly for rubbing. “No,” I replied to her supplication.  “Giving in is not really an option, we’ll survive though, we always do.”
“This isn’t a mall,” Asuka commented as her, Hikari and Rei came through the central thoroughfare of the mall again. “It’s so small it would barely register as a shopping arcade in Tokyo-3.”

“Soryu-san,” Rei said softly, “I have looked at the maps of this region, this is not a large city and is obviously very spread out. This is likely all the local population needs.”

Asuka snorted and Hikari shook her head, “Rei is right Asuka,” the class representative added. “These people don’t exactly seem to be,” at that point Hikari struggled for the words to describe the situation. “They don’t seem to be pretentious about how things are set up, very relaxed and relaxing.”

“I am sure there is a logical reason for the way things are,” Rei commented causing Hikari to nod. “I wonder what Lt. Ibuki is doing.” Rei’s apparent non-sequitur caused the other two girls to look the same direction Rei was facing only to see the back of Maya Ibuki going into a store across from FYE.

“Asuka, your English is better than mine,” Hikari commented with a grimace at the admission. “What store is that?” Turning to look at her friend Hikari could see the beat redness of the redhead’s face.

“Fredricks of Hollywood,” Asuka replied after a minute and barely managing not to stammer at the sight. “Definitely not a place for us to go.” With that the redhead turned on her heal and headed for the food court and their planned rendezvous with the others.
“James,” Kaji said pushing his plate away, “You know some good people around here.” The spy had just finished eating a large lunch of sushi and ramen from one of the mall restaurants and was pleasantly stuffed. “How do you know so many people around here?”

“Well it helps that I grew up here,” I answered. “Also, since there are so very few things to do to pass one’s dead time, you tend to talk and get to know people instead of just pass them by on the streets. That said while I know a number of people in the area, I don’t know everyone and the strength of who I know is in each individual’s strategic locations.”

“So,” Misato said, “what you’re saying is it’s not so much how many people you know but who you know that can help us.”

“Somewhat,” I answered. “Lunch while the kids looked for things they needed was easy, Chuck is the best sushi chef in town and I’ve been eating at his place no matter where it has been for years. That said there are some things, documents mostly that we’re going to need, so that we can help you guys blend in. It’s going to be difficult enough since most people are going to figure you and the kids for major geeks.”

“Why do you say that James,” Ritsuko asked. She had left the lab coat at home and was wearing a pair of men’s shorts and an oversized t-shirt, but I could see the desire to get into the pantsuit that resided in her shopping bags. “Is there something else we should know?”

“Oh tons,” I replied, “and I’ll tell you all of it over the course of the next few weeks simply because all at once would be way too much for me to explain, let alone you all to digest. That said, let’s collect the kids and get the groceries so we can go back to the beach, I think we’ve inflicted enough damage on your benefactor’s bank accounts for one day.” The others nodded and I paid for the meal as they collected their bags and other purchases. One of the reasons I was always enjoyed by the owner was that I always tipped well and was willing to help him or his waitresses out in any way they needed. Enlightened self-interest that, and it never seemed to hurt my standings with those watching either.

Re: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
Sorry you've been having a tough time of it, Raj.  Sad

But this looks good so far.  I would imagine that Ayanami might have said a smidgen more about the matter to provide a stronger implication that the matter wasn't really dropped as far as she was concerned.  I mean, I know she's taciturn and all, but she's also the type that if there's something on her mind that pertains to you, then she's gonna let you know.

A good example of this is when she slapped Shinji for not having faith in his father's work.  And I'm pretty sure that the wellbeing of everyone else is going to be just as much of a hot-button for her.

Kinda surprised that Asuka is kinda put off by the Fredrick's of Hollywood store given the bikini she flaunted for Shinji.  I was expecting something a little more like....

"Oh, that would be Fredrick's of Hollywood," said Asuka with a slightly sharkish grin.  "It's not a place for good little girls like you, Class Prez.  Unless you're not as much of a good little girl as you pretend to be~.  Although I must admit - I never figured Maya to be the type."

Just a suggestion, though.  You're probably a lot more familiar with Asuka than I am at this time.
Taken and used blatantly BA. I'll think a bit more on the Reid scene and post this weekend with any additions

RE: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
"They built this garden ninety years ago to commemorate a great war,"

"It started with a single prince being assasinated. It ended after four years with sixteen million people dead, and most of the Royal households of Europe destroyed or reduced to figureheads. They called it, the War to end all Wars. We call it World War One."

"One?"

"It was a peace for twenty years,"

"World War Two, lasted for six years. The free people of the world stood against a madman named Hitler and his Nazis. The Nazis did not just conquer, they annihilated entire peoples - anyone they deamed beneath them. The world calls it the holocaust. Cities and their people were turned to rubble from the air. After six years, forty four million people were dead. The war only ended, with the use of a terrible weapon, capable of destroying an entire city in a single flash, like a man-made sun on the surface of the earth. It burned sand into glass and turned rain into black poison. "

"When the dust settled, the great powers built thousands of them, out of fear that their enemies might use them first. They built enough to kill everyone on the planet. If there were ever a World War Three, there would be nobody left to fight number four. And they still didn't stop. "

He gazed over the stone and summer flowers and lush, manicured lawns. Above, an aircraft roared on to some far foreign land, smothering the chirping of the birds. The distance humm of city traffic surrounded. Faced with the enormity of Earth and this modern world, Eddard Stark, the Lord of Winterfell, could say only one thing.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Just sticking this here because I don't have a copy in case it goes missong

----------

"They built this garden ninety years ago to commemorate a great war,"

"It started with a single prince being assasinated. It ended after four years with sixteen million people dead, and most of the Royal households of Europe destroyed or reduced to figureheads. They called it, the War to end all Wars. We call it World War One."

"One?"

"It was a peace for twenty years,"

"World War Two, lasted for six years. The free people of the world stood against a madman named Hitler and his Nazis. The Nazis did not just conquer, they annihilated entire peoples - anyone they deamed beneath them. The world calls it the holocaust. Cities and their people were turned to rubble from the air. After six years, forty four million people were dead. The war only ended, with the use of a terrible weapon, capable of destroying an entire city in a single flash, like a man-made sun on the surface of the earth. It burned sand into glass and turned rain into black poison. "

"When the dust settled, the great powers built thousands of them, out of fear that their enemies might use them first. They built enough to kill everyone on the planet. If there were ever a World War Three, there would be nobody left to fight number four. And they still didn't stop. "

He gazed over the stone and summer flowers and lush, manicured lawns. Above, an aircraft roared on to some far foreign land, smothering the chirping of the birds. The distance humm of city traffic surrounded. Faced with the enormity of Earth and this modern world, Eddard Stark, the Lord of Winterfell, could say only one thing.________________________________
--m(^0^)m-- Wot, no sig?
Just so you know, Dartz, the new "There's Nothing Better" subforum is back up on the new boards, and this area should have been locked.  I'm going to take care of that now; feel free to copy this over to the new board at your leisure.-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Wait. Game of Thrones?

.... hooooooo boy.

I do not disapprove in the least. Just that the culture shock is gonna be something to behold.

It'll be like that one scene in Log Horizon where the Princess has just been presented to the gamers, and she is amazed that when they're presenting the plans for fighting the Goblin Hordes everybody in the crowd starts taking out maps and begin to figure out where the field of battle is and how best to get there.

He is gonna wig out when he and his learn that pretty much everyone is taught to read and perform basic arithmetic.
Which inevitably leads to 'Who'se the King?'

Well, about that.... After about 7 centuries of being ground beneath the heel of kings we decided we didn't want one of those anymore

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

alright folks, heres the first little bit mostly setting the stage for the rest of the post, thoughts are begged for, comments are pleaded for.

September 21;

I’ll give you four warnings before I start this,” I told the four adults once they had gotten comfortable on my couch. I had seen the kids off to crossing the street to go to the gulf side beach front and then returned to my room to start showing the adults how I knew where they came from and the situations. I didn’t want to do it this fast but I had all but begged a week from Rei the previous day and I needed to at least inform the adults of what had happened.

“First,” I continued. “What you are about to see is what my world has been told has happened in your world. Each of you have your own perceptions of what occurred since Shinji’s arrival in Tokyo-3, however this is probably the most impartial view of it all. That said it is the vision of a clinically depressed mind so its going to be biased. Second; remember that the entire story was written to destroy the entertainment tropes that had cropped up in the genre. The Oedipus complex, the hotshot foreign pilot love interest, as well as a whole slew of other things. Third; Since you lived this you will know the actual contexts of any decision you made and any scene that this shows where you are involved, honestly it mostly revolves around the children, but I figured that I could show the adults first and get your help in explaining these things to the children since you know them better than I do.”

“Finally, there will be scenes that will embarrass you, scenes that will show your deepest, darkest desires and those times and reasons why you hate yourselves so much that you don’t think you get to have any happiness. When you see them remember to keep them in context and if your feeling particularly vulnerable about any of your memories from that world, now, or while you’re watching, be sure to discuss it amongst yourselves. Now, if you are ready, I’ll start things.”
“What a view,” Shinji said looking at the white sand of the beach and the bright blue waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

“You said it Shin-man,” Toji said beside him, the jock’s gaze never leaving the three girls in front of them who had immediately broke into a run for the water as soon as it came into view.

“So nice,” Kensuke added from beneath his own bundle of burdens. James had handed the group a cooler, three beach umbrellas and six beach towels as well as the various little things that the trip to the beach would require. It also included a picnic lunch and a trash bag for the debris that the contents of the cooler would generate. The problem as the three boys could see, was that as boys, they had been designated the pack mules for the trip

The threesome’s reverie was broken as Asuka yelled back to them, “Hey stooges, are you going to stand there all day or are you going to come down here and set things up?”

“When did we get designated as your servants?” Toji called back with a smile.

“Toji,” Hikari called from the water’s edge, “no arguments today please. We have a marvelous, beautiful day to ourselves out here and I intend to enjoy it. So no fighting.”

“Alright class rep,” Toji answered with a sigh, “just get her to keep things civil please.”

Hikari nodded and then turned on the red-head. “Asuka, you know Toji doesn’t like being bossed around,” the class rep continued. “Please don’t antagonize him, I want us all to enjoy this trip.”

“Alright Hikari,” Asuka replied. “Lets just find a spot and set up, the day isn’t getting any shorter.” The pig tailed brunette nodded and waved the boys toward the girls while looking up and down the beach itself, “What do you think about that spot over there?” she asked the rest of the group while pointing a slight bit to the west of where the boardwalk through the dunes let out onto the beach itself.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Quote:“Alright Hikari,” Asuka replied. “Lets just find a spot and set up, the day isn’t getting any shorter.” The pig tailed brunette nodded and waved the boys toward the girls while looking up and down the beach itself, “What do you think about that spot over there?” she asked the rest of the group while pointing a slight bit to the west of where the boardwalk through the dunes let out onto the beach itself.

shouldn't that be 'the day isn't getting any longer'?  it's definitely getting shorter.
Cutting away from a recap of what we already know is a good idea, I think. (As long as the people who haven't seen the anime get some hints elsewhere in the story as to who's who and why they do what they do, of course, but that doesn't need to be done all at once.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I have the Platinum edition box set and watch it two disks a day when I watch the series myself.

Had an idea today, what do you guys think of them MST3King. A portion of the episodes?
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

BA, just sent you a PM...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I saw Rob. Just been busy as usual. I'll get back to you on it on Saturday. At least this new update on Firefox makes things a lot easier now.
Quoting myself from the PiratePad document with all thouse notes about the 2016 Christmas party:
Quote:Hmmmmm... I'm thinking some of this might better happening earlier than December. The story's moving slowly as it is; there's no need to slow it down even more.

And, with my latest sidestory, I just moved my group's "now" to the weekend before Halloween.

Who wants to have a Halloween party instead of / in addition to a Christmas party?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It would probably have to be held at my character's complex simply due to its size and the temperate conditions (I think it was something like 65°F the at the lowest the night of).

Although we now already know without a doubt that it was definitely cold here in San Antonio for Christmas, though I fairly sure it was nowhere nearly as cold as Toronto.  I could almost hear here ghe girls bemoaning the fact they're homed in Canada... at least until they get their first taste of what summer in South Texas is like.  Tongue
(11-06-2017, 08:29 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Had an idea today, what do you guys think of them MST3King. A portion of the episodes?

Oh, there's a party game for the get-togethers! As long as it's done in a spirit of good fun, and not to be mean toward the subjects of the show - because it's quite possible that the person you're poking fun at is sitting right beside you. ("Wow, carry the idiot ball much?" "I wasn't carrying anything then. And what's an idiot ball?")
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I would imagine that the crew of the Serenity would get an enormous kick out of this: http://www.looneylabs.com/games/firefly-fluxx

It would be so meta for them, but so outrageously fun. (Just the goal cards alone with such memorable one-liners like, "Also, I can kill you with my mind.")
From the most recent IC thread:
(02-21-2018, 12:22 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: (No sign of Tokimi - I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing and it's making me... well, not edgy, but I worry about what might happen.  She can be nice, but out of the three she's also the one most prone to dealing with things... terminally.)

I am extremely tempted... After all, one of the apartments my SI's boarders are in has two bedrooms.

But no. I have other plans for that spare bedroom, which we had been discussing in the PiratePad doc.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Everyday life with sex robots"

Anyway. I am working.

Sylvie is the rebellious one.
Anri is the nerd.
Nam is the one who nervously says 'Sempai, be gentle, I'm not uised to doing these things'. Every time.
Lou says No, and fights as much as she can
Meg is Samual L Jackson in Django - at least as far as Sylvie is concerned. Kaufmann's Princess.

Data is bemused.

And everyone's in a truck, on tour.

Gonna try and divert my recent surge of creative energy into writing some more for this. Updates to come later.

ETA:
Labster, I just now noticed the bit with the real estate agent looking for property in Venice, CA instead of Venice, Italy.

Boy, those Undines sure are gonna be let down... unless they all take up surfing. :V

Also, I'm betting that this is the same agent that scored Ben's property? If so, then I don't envy him for his life expectancy. >Smile
That bit is actually the inspiration for the whole story, thus why I'm even writing this at all.  

The girls will be let down a little, but not for very long.  They're very resilient, and the favorite hobby of at least two of them is to find happiness in everyday things.  Alice'll probably take it hardest, but she's that age, you know?  There are actually canals there too, and Marina del Rey, so surfing is not the only option.  Believe it nor not, there is a gondola company in Venice, CA.

This, uh, may be one and the same real estate agent.  And probably not a Realtor®, if you know what I mean.  But I'd actually take it as a comment on the nature of evil than just blaming the agent.  Evil only offers everything you ask for if you pay some high price.  Sebastian could tell easily enough that the undines would make a very hard target for temptation after talking with them for an hour, and well, he's a bit too busy to go for the long game these days.  So instead he goes for the route where he gives them exactly what they ask for, to let their hearts be met with a little disappointment, which would hopefully nurture mistrust, envy, and pride.  Just because there's something of a cooperation going on with Heaven right now doesn't mean Sebastian is not still playing the game.  Where Sebastian is involved, never attribute to incompetence what could be attributed to malice instead.

Moreover, Funtom is more likely to earn a profit on California real estate.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Hmmmm....  But the canal system as it is now seems... anemic...

Okay, so here's a thought.  The fun part about the Metacontinuity is that given its very nature, it's pretty maleable.  So in reaction to their arrival, Venis is suddenly like as if none of the canals had ever been filled in, and that they've been meticulously preserved and maintained by the residences and local businesses.

And nobody thinks its strange at all, because it's always been that way... Nobody except the Building Managers.  Wink

Thoughts?

ETA: Just whipped these up to give you a better idea of how it might look...

[Image: R9o4HTy.png]

[Image: y0ZRRBb.png]
Which begs the question, Why not change everything else to suit the visitors then?