Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comedy!
Comedy!
This is the greatest thread I've seen today.
(Yes, it's Democratic Underground. No, it's not political except in the broad strokes. Yes, it's very, very funny.)---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Comedy?
M Fnord you should have put this in the Political section.
howard melton
God bless
Yes, comedy.
It's a meta thread. More than that, it's the meta thread, a perfect Platonic distillation of all internet argument, everywhere. And it's funny as hell.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Re: Comedy!
Post of agreement of thread greatness, noting amazement of how much time some people have.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Note that people who find that thread amusing should check out The Existential Flame War.
I didn't say it wasn't funny, but I learned long ago that anytime you have to preface something with the words "It's not political" that usually means it is in at least one interpretation.
My parents owned a general store way back in the 1970's and any time you heard the phrase "It's not _______" preface a joke I would cringe.
Fill in the blank above with one of the these three words "religious", "dirty" or "political" and more often than not it is religious, dirty or political in at least one interpretation.
I've seen several such jokes end in fights and as one of the children of the owners of a small country store I learned real quickly that if your worried enough about the joke to preface it with the above "It's not ______." statement then it probably is to somebody.
When in doubt don't or in this case when in doubt put it in the section where there is no doubt.
howard melton
God bless
Sorry to pull rank on you, HM, but it's a fine example of a comedy thread with no actual political content -- although it does have a tongue-in-cheek claim that it does.
It stays.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Sorry bob I wasn't asking for it to be moved.
Thats fine I wasn't actually asking for it being moved.
I was just stating an opinion and trying to raise a point about the meta-thread.
You'll note my second post made no demand of moving it just tried to explain why I had the opinion. With an example from my past experience watching both Republicans and Democrats argue in our General Store.
Here is a quote taken from the first spoof post maybe it will help to show my point.
/QUOTE/
Thu May-10-07 12:46 AM
Response to Original message
1. Did you see Ralph Reed...
Edited on Thu May-10-07 12:46 AM by ingac70
with Carville on Anderson Cooper. That "intelligent Design" crap!
Carville said you can't teach the "stork brings babies" anymore!
/ENDQUOTE/
Before you reply, take the qoute above and replace "intelligent design" with "evolution" and then see how it strikes you.
Again I agree this is a fine work of meta-homour and I almost didn't post my initial statement, but I see a certain amount of blindness on this Discussion Board that seems to have a strong predominately liberal member set and since many of you are writers I thought pointing out one form of that blindness might make for an interesting discussion thread.
I'm not putting this site or the people on it down I also see blindness on many of the predominately conservative discussion board sites I frequently visit.
I enjoyed the comedy thread, but in spite of being very good meta-humour it is supporting liberal stances and ideas and using the wrapping of humour to try and prevent any counter discussion.
The Democrats who wrote this meta-humour thread knew exactly what they were doing when they spent the hours or days creating it and I thought I'd point that out.
Had M Fnord not said "(Yes, it's Democratic Underground. No, it's not political except in the broad strokes. Yes, it's very, very funny.)" I'd probably not said anything except how funny it was.
Yes it's great humour, but it is also a wonderfully crafted set of liberal democrat statements and arguments.
By the way I'm not trying to imply I don't have my own blindnesses, just that a few of them seem to be in different areas.
howard melton
God bless
Re: Sorry bob I wasn't asking for it to be moved.
Really, the lovely thing about it (at least if you just look at the subject lines) is you could change the first post to *anything*, and about 99% of it would stay just the same.
I'm not quite bored enough to start reading the messages themselves though...
-Morgan."This continuity is now a Princess of Darkness crossover."
"... They're all going to die, aren't they?"
"Yep. Popcorn?"
Re: Sorry bob I wasn't asking for it to be moved.
Quote:
Here is a quote taken from the first spoof post maybe it will help to show my point.
I think you maybe missed the followup messages to that where it was pointed out that poster completely missed the point of the thread? I hardly think that the most clueless contribution to the thread constitutes a definition of it.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.