Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a unicode text editor.
Looking for a unicode text editor.
... Well, that pretty much sums it up. Looking for something lightweight that will display unicode text properly, because it's annoying to have to look at a file in one program to see what it's supposed to look like, then use a different program to edit it. Anyone have any recommendations?
-Morgan."This continuity is now a Princess of Darkness crossover."
"... They're all going to die, aren't they?"
"Yep. Popcorn?"
Re: Looking for a unicode text editor.
If you are running Windows you can try Notepad++
notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
If you are running Linux (or Windows) you can try SciTE
scintilla.sourceforge.net...nload.html
Both are based on Scintilla.
UltraEdit will do the job, too, and a lot more besides.
www.ultraedit.com or www.idmcomp.com

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
*Morgan blinks, and thinks "Hey, wait a minute, I already use SciTE as my regular ruby editor..."*
*Shrugs, downloads Notepad++, screws around with it some*
Okay. So, to get it to do what I want, I have to have ruby properties set, UTF-8 encoding turned on, and change the fonts in the ruby style to something that'll show the actual Japanese characters. Okay.
Somehow, I didn't think quite so many steps would be involved...
-Morgan, has had issues with UltraEdit in the past and will be happy to not have to touch it again."This continuity is now a Princess of Darkness crossover."
"... They're all going to die, aren't they?"
"Yep. Popcorn?"
Alright, I happened to catch sight of Notepad++ in the past, but this time I downloaded it. Looks like I should have grabbed it when I saw it before.
Nifty, it has a show hidden characters mode. And it displays the carriage return and line feed separately. Have to check and see if you can do search and replacement targeting those.
Now if only it had built in support for subversion...
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.