Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a Heads-Up
Just a Heads-Up
Some time in the next week, I'll be moving the site from Eclipse.net to its own domain, hosted by my provider, Netcarrier.
I'm doing this because my site's been living for the past decade on what amounts to a complimentary vanity webspace provided as part of a dial-up account, and some of the development tools and software that I thought was available to me where it is now actually aren't.  And I haven't actually dialed up to the dial-up account in something like six years, if not more.
Moving give me lots more disk space, more support for expanded features on the site -- like the dynamic blogging system I'm going to be installing on the top page now that I've got the basics for that worked out -- and a distinctive URL.  At the same time, though, Peg and I get to keep our Eclipse.net email addresses.  And to top it all off, it's going to cost about 60% of what the dial-up account cost me.  (Plus registration for the site name, of course...  but I'll be looking for a good inexpensive registrar.  Any suggestions?)
The old site will be redirecting traffic tot he new site for a while, too, so no one (least of all Google!) will lose track of me.
Right now my next step is to select a good domain name.  "Accessdenied" and "access-denied" are both already taken in most TLDs, although I can get "drunkards-walk" in either .COM or .NET.  Or I can do my name.  I'm surprised at how undecided I am...  When things start moving after that, I'll let folks know.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Depends on whether you want it to be Bob Schroek, author of various gaming-related content, or Drunkard's Walk, as presented by Bob Schroek..

that is a tough call, come to think of it.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

But then the site's "real" name since I started it circa 1996 has been "Access Denied!" I can just about justify keeping it -- a change to the subtitle of the top page should be enough, if I got with my name as the domain. But if I get "drunkards-walk.*" I feel like I'd have to rename the site to just cut down on the potential confusion.

And what's really annoying is the "access denied" sites -- .com and .net -- are not actually in active use, they're being squatted. I just don't have the money to even use GoDaddy's "$69 + commission and we'll get it for you" service. I barely have the money for the registration fees.
-- Bob
---------

Bob, have you tried using an underscore instead of a hash?

Alternatives are being explored.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Correct. Rob and I kinda stumbled into discussing this in email, and I think I've got a solution... now I just have to actually make sure I have the money available and get the domain name with it.
-- Bob
---------