Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Think It's Time I Walked Quietly Away from TVTropes

Dartz Wrote:It's different. It's not like TvTropes at all really. TvT didn't until recently have policies about content (Well, you know what I mean), while FFN has had them since before I joined and makes you specifically aware of them before posting anything to the site. AFF has existed as a place to host 'Adult' fics for some time and FictionPress for original stories.
In a way, though, it is. If you fail to enforce the policy in any significant way, then the policy might as well not exist. Yes, it means that legally you can get away with a sudden enforcement of it... but that doesn't mean you won't get away from the social consequences.
And, unfortunately, it is also slightly conflated with the idea of "freedom of speech." Freedom of speech doesn't mean "I can say whatever the frell I want to anyone". It just means the government can't clamp down on your speech unless it's a clear and present danger at the moment it happens like yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded venue. It doesn't protect you on private sites, or from consequences from your actions such as insulting someone's mother to their face when they're drunk.
 I don't agree with any of the handling of the TVT purge, or even this new bit of the FF purge, but on the other hand, it is their sites, and if they've just now decided to purge objectionable content, either because they're tired of fielding the complaints, got their advertising threatened, or because they just didn't like it in the first place, that's all up to them. On the other hand, I'm unlikely to stick around someplace that's that... capricious with decision making.
On the other hand, I wonder if this is just the start of a handful of "morally superior" groups that are going to try their damndest to make (perceived as) adult material scurry back under the floorboards where they'd prefer it stay.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Currently downloading the torrent now, plan to have mediafire links for everyone by tomorrow at the very least.
On that note, can anyone suggest other file archiving services that are relatively trustworthy?

Rpg1 Wrote:On that note, can anyone suggest other file archiving services that are relatively trustworthy?
Ahahahaha.  Rofl.  That's a good one.  Trustworthy direct download sites.
Eh, just post it to any of them, and reup if they delete it I guess.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:
Rpg1 Wrote:On that note, can anyone suggest other file archiving services that are relatively trustworthy?
Yeah, I guess that is pretty funny.
Okay, I'll rephrase the question:
Any filesharing services I can upload to that the file might last long enough for people to get a good look at it and download it a few times?
Deposit Files was going to be my second choice, and I'm kinda annoyed fileserve and filesonic are off the table, but oh well.
Anyone else got suggestions?

vorticity Wrote:
Yeah, I guess that is pretty funny.
Okay, I'll rephrase the question:
Any filesharing services I can upload to that the file might last long enough for people to get a good look at it and download it a few times?
Deposit Files was going to be my second choice, and I'm kinda annoyed fileserve and filesonic are off the table, but oh well.
Anyone else got suggestions?

JFerio Wrote:On the other hand, I wonder if this is just the start of a handful of "morally superior" groups that are going to try their damndest to make (perceived as) adult material scurry back under the floorboards where they'd prefer it stay.
Not gonna happen.  For one thing: Anonymous.  While they're really nobody's army, once these sorts of people start encroaching on their turf, Anonymous is gonna rise up like a tsunami and wipe out their operations in one ignominious fashion or another.  Even then, I don't really see that happening anytime soon.  Can you imagine such a group even attempting to infiltrate 4-chan?

blackaeronaut Wrote:Not gonna happen.  For one thing: Anonymous.  While they're really nobody's army, once these sorts of people start encroaching on their turf, Anonymous is gonna rise up like a tsunami and wipe out their operations in one ignominious fashion or another.  Even then, I don't really see that happening anytime soon.  Can you imagine such a group even attempting to infiltrate 4-chan?
Well, no, we both know they won't manage what they want... but I always seem they want it to be that way, get it off the net and back to the dark industrial areas where people will be afraid to seek it out.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Folks, we've hit (and passed) 300 posts. Please start a new thread.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.